A personal encounter on 6694

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A personal encounter on 6694

Many years ago when I was a supervisor on a job site .
    I encounter 2 workers ( both of them are chinese and Singaporeans )
    Now a days worker working in construction site are mostly FT.
    One of the worker was wearing a rolex oyster date 6694 .
    So I actually went up to him and say ( wow uncle u wear rolex to work ah ) then he say that is a fake watch. But in my personal opinion at that time it should be real even through i am not experience . ( I am just guessing through )
    He took out the watch from his wrist and offer to sell for 50 dollars !!!
    I rejected the offer and told him it's a real rolex and it's much more than 50 dollars.
    The reason why I rejected was because I think this uncle is working very hard for a living .
    ( sometime I wonder would I take up the offer if it's was someone else)

The next day this uncle sent the rolex to a pawn shop and confirm that it's a real rolex .

I actually ask him why did he think that it's a fake rolex ( his answer was it's given by a friend and he don't think his friend would give him a real rolex and the best part is he think his friend stole the watch and give it to him)

This is a true encounter which happen to me .

You were right to reject buying it at $50, the uncle obviously did not know it is authentic and the worth .

Comment

My late father used to tell me Rolex 6694 are the ONE AND ONLY ONE expensive watch that any blue collar worker wants to lay hands on. Workers who works in shipyards, constructions will work OT, save up and buy themselves a 6694, which that time is a symbol of status and at the same time the watch is a workhorse, durable enough for all occasions.

And at that time, they can get one for around S$600. Which is big sum of money. Fakes are not so common then and usually quite rough until past 2 decades. Thus it's not a surprise that you encounter a uncle who owns a 6694 and yet think that it's a fake.

I still see many uncles at my workplace wearing the iconic black dial 6694 with gold markers. Frankly I didn't go ask them about it's authenticity also but can see that real ones has usually aged with time. A quick glance at a few features like crown, the dial, Rolex logo and bracelet will more or less gives us some indication.

I myself own a gold dial 6694 (80's) which has been sent to RSC for servicing and maintenance before also and I love the watch although it does look small on my wrist. In fact I hope to keep the watch for my son.. Hahahahhaah..
      Life is a gamble. It's either you win or you lose. But if you don't even dare to try... You are destined to be a loser

Comment

Hey , the 6694 which was given to me by my ah kong was bought by my ah ma for $200 plus if she told me correctly .
        I think 200 plus was a huge amount at that time .
        My ah ma should have bought a sub for my ah kong ( maybe should buy 10 numbers ) lol

Comment

Originally posted by chris9 View Post
          Hey , the 6694 which was given to me by my ah kong was bought by my ah ma for $200 plus if she told me correctly .
          I think 200 plus was a huge amount at that time .
          My ah ma should have bought a sub for my ah kong ( maybe should buy 10 numbers ) lol
          Your ah am should buy the manual daytona . Lol

Comment

Hmmm , I don't think my ah gong would know how to use a chronograph.
            Lol

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X