Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex 6694 what to change, preferred dial, still in production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex 6694 what to change, preferred dial, still in production?

I just sent my old 6694 to RSC Tong Building for service and they came back with a full list of repairs.

Overhaul - $500
    Back - $150
    Bezel - $138
    Middle Part - $413
    Dial - $260

They mentioned that the four footing/legs for the dial is weak. They also suggested changing back, bezel and "middle part" (what is this?) to ensure that watch remains waterproof. Any idea what is this Middle Part for $413? The whole job cost $1500.

Keltzar or anyone that knows about collecting. Should I go ahead with all the repairs. I have read regrets from some about changing the needle and face (as the watch will lose its history).

For someone buying a used 6694, would a refurbished 6694 done by RSC changing the above parts be desirable or would they prefer the old dial and needles.

How good is the RSC warranty? Is it recognized around the world (thinking of giving it to my sister who lives in NY).

Also how accurate are these 6694 after RSC is done overhauling watch.

Rolex 6694 - Still in production?

Is the Rolex 6694 still in production?

Does Rolex still make a manual winding Oyster for men?

I have an old 6694 hand me down from dad and just want to know more about it.

Comment

Rolex 6694 - preferred dial

As mentioned in my previous post, my 6694 is sitting at RSC waiting for my OK for repairs.

They suggested changing my dial for $260. Is there a preferred Rolex dial for this watch? The watch currently has a silver dial with silver needle and indicators. Can I ask for another colored dial from RSC. And if so which would be your favorite color?

Black dial seems popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanahteck View Post
        I just sent my old 6694 to RSC Tong Building for service and they came back with a full list of repairs.

Overhaul - $500
        Back - $150
        Bezel - $138
        Middle Part - $413
        Dial - $260

They mentioned that the four footing/legs for the dial is weak. They also suggested changing back, bezel and "middle part" (what is this?) to ensure that watch remains waterproof. Any idea what is this Middle Part for $413? The whole job cost $1500.

Keltzar or anyone that knows about collecting. Should I go ahead with all the repairs. I have read regrets from some about changing the needle and face (as the watch will lose its history).

For someone buying a used 6694, would a refurbished 6694 done by RSC changing the above parts be desirable or would they prefer the old dial and needles.

How good is the RSC warranty? Is it recognized around the world (thinking of giving it to my sister who lives in NY).

that is exactly what i got too, but i may have to change the oyster bracelet if they cannot polish it out.

no idea about warranty, as I reside in Oz, and have yet to try, however my local AD is willing to attempt repairs, and even regulate FOC if need be.

Is the Rolex 6694 still in production?

Does Rolex still make a manual winding Oyster for men?

I have an old 6694 hand me down from dad and just want to know more about it.
        no more in production, however a substitue model would be the airking or something similar. based on my insurance valuation, it would cost A$5000, which is equal to an Airking in Oz from the only AD here.

all automatic movement as far as i know, of course if im wrong, please shout out aloud.

to be very honest, the 6694 is a WORKHORSE, and i love it. even with the manual winding, it has a lot of history and character behind it.

As mentioned in my previous post, my 6694 is sitting at RSC waiting for my OK for repairs.

They suggested changing my dial for $260. Is there a preferred Rolex dial for this watch? The watch currently has a silver dial with silver needle and indicators. Can I ask for another colored dial from RSC. And if so which would be your favorite color?

Black dial seems popular.
        yes you can change the dial to any of the colors avaliable. i prefer the blue, but i have yet to see what the new dial looks like, as my dial has oxidized

from my personal experience, do not change the dial, as it will further lose it character, and i just love the original dial.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Normally RSC DON'T modify a watch. Which mean if the dial is silver color and they will replace a silver dial.

Base on the list of repair cost, it's enough to purchase another used 6694. If I were you, I would rather look for outside reliable watch service and easily I could get 30 -40% cheaper. But, chances of the service shop does not has the spare parts.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheerio,

Comment

Overhaul - $500
            Back - $150
            Bezel - $138
            Middle Part - $413
            Dial - $260

I would say...if this watch has some sentimental value or history,it's worth the money. IF not....I think abit ex...but no worries you will get the watch back just like brand new
            Last edited by Darkangel; 27-02-08, 10:10 AM.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Any idea what is this Middle Part for $413?

How good is the RSC warranty? Is it recognized around the world
              middle part could be the oyster case........

warranty is international............

try not to change dial and hands....... unless they are badly damaged....

on the other hand, changing case back, case and bezel..... almost a completely new watch except for the movement.....
              Last edited by ohlins; 27-02-08, 11:09 AM.
              the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
              visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

I recently serviced my dad's 6694 at RSC.

The original quote came out to more than $1000, but I told them

(a) not to change the oyster case, although the back piece is not waterproof. No choice cos I'd lose the original serial number that is etched onto the case

(b) not to polish the clasp as my dad engraved his name on it.

The final cost was slightly below $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                  I recently serviced my dad's 6694 at RSC.

The original quote came out to more than $1000, but I told them

(a) not to change the oyster case, although the back piece is not waterproof. No choice cos I'd lose the original serial number that is etched onto the case

(b) not to polish the clasp as my dad engraved his name on it.

The final cost was slightly below $1000.
                  Wah engraving somemore? where he do 1? how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Wah engraving somemore? where he do 1? how much?
                    The engraving done in the 60's lah - those shops do cheap engraving on pens etc.

That time, I think he never thought about keeping the watch in mint condition, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                      The engraving done in the 60's lah - those shops do cheap engraving on pens etc.

That time, I think he never thought about keeping the watch in mint condition, etc.
                      Wah so long ago? hahha..i see..

Comment

Just spoke to RSC and yes they want to change the case. So no way will I go for that.

Anyway, I gave the ok for RSC to do the overhaul - $500. An overhaul includes a pressure test. Who knows, the watch might still be waterproof so no need to change all the suggested parts.

Any idea what is a pressure test and how it works and how reliable is it.

Does it mean that if it passes pressure test then watch is water proof

Comment

I do NOT know how does the pressure test works, but I should say it's reliable.

I ever sent my 30 years old 1680 subbie to replace the acrylic crsytal and after the replacement of the acrylic crsytal the watch came out with a test report. I saw the report chopped with a water-proof chop and the sales lady told me "your watch is water-proof". I wear my subbie for swimming and so far so good.

Cheerio,

Comment

OK Folks - news from RSC Singapore is that my watch case is rusted and cannot be repaired.

So I have decided to change the watch case because it is pointless to have a watch especially an oyster that is not water proof.

So in fact entire watch will be new. I can choose to keep my old dial which is a silver dial with silver baton/stick indicators but there is some tarnish on it. Or I could have a choice of any color dial that I want.

RSC Singapore says they have :silver, black, gold and blue dials and I can have a choice of silver or gold hands/indicators.

So what is the hottest dial color for the 6694.

Black with gold hands?

Comment

that should be what YOU like ... personally blue dial on silver hands look cute to me
                              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                              Blue 6694
                              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X