Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex GMT-Master Ref. 16750 Black Dial

Dear all,

I have a Rolex GMT-Master Ref. 16750 but I wonder if the dial is of the right one. My dial shows "SWISS" but I saw many of the GMT online shows "SWISS-T<25. Why is this so? Is it because of its serial or manufactured at different period? Is the watch original?

Any pictures of GMT-Master 16750 with SWISS dial?

This watch was serviced in 2006 in Rolex Centre and I had the dial and watch examined, they said this is genuine. Can the gurus out there take a look at the watch. Thank you.

Engine: 3075
    Bracelet: 78360, 580
    Casing: 16750
    Serial: 44*****

If i were to sell this now, now much can I fetch in US dollars? Come with box and service receipt only

"SWISS" = Luminova

This looks to be a service replacement dial. Service dials for the 16700 can be fitted onto the 3075 movement also.

For indication of value in USD terms, can try vintage rolex forums (google)

Comment

Originally posted by wean_sg View Post
      "SWISS" = Luminova

This looks to be a service replacement dial. Service dials for the 16700 can be fitted onto the 3075 movement also.

For indication of value in USD terms, can try vintage rolex forums (google)
      Is this original then? or wrong dial?

And what is luminova?

Comment

I also realise that the serial no. and movement do not tally:

GMT
        GMT Master
        167 GMT Master 0 Stainless Steel
        44*****
        =1974/5
        Engine 3075
        introduced in 1981
        http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers
        Bracelet 78360 580
        0=stainless steel
        Casing 16750
        http://www.melrosejewelers.com/produ...al-numbers.htm

Engine only introduced in 1981 but serial is 44*****? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Comment

Just confirmed that all are original :>

Good if experts here can share their thoughts too.

Comment

"Swiss" marked dials in modern history are primarily luminova used in their watches made in 1999/2000. Outside these (A-series and I think P-Series?) ... they are usually service dials i.e. changed by Rolex during a servicing.
            Rolex considers it original parts, but hardcore collectors do not like it... so it does affect the value in some ways. Not a big deal if you ask me.

Early 16750 (made from the 1970s to about 1984) had the matt dials. Those made between about 1984 to 1988 had white-gold surrounds around the lume markers.

The serial number is between the lugs on the case at the 6 o'clock position - not on the movement.

You are not clear if yours is 1675/0 or 16750.
            If it is the earlier, this is a non-quickset date movement, so it would be possible to be 1974/75.

If yours are 16750, it would likely be around 7mil and above, with the last ones being R-series?

Comment

Hi it is a 16750, with quick set. When you say 7 mil, is it referring to the serial no? My serial starts with 4 , so it is 4 mil. Sorry i am a newbie, just want to make sure the terms are correct too.

Comment

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

See serial nos range. This should be 1974-76 (depending on which end of 4mil). Are you sure you are looking at the serial correctly i.e. on the case and NOT movement?

If so, then this may be a 16750 movement/dial inside a 1675 case. What is on the inside of the caseback?

More 16750 info: http://doubleredseadweller.com/gmt_transition.htm

I am not entirely sure the intro date for 16750 is correct. It could be 1979 ... have to do more checking.

Comment

p/s RSC's priority is to keep their watches working with rolex parts. It is not to keep collectors' happy. This means that they only check for original rolex parts fitting for a given model reference e.g. they will not sell you a white-gold bezel to fit a 16013 because "3" is yellow-gold.

However, they are not obliged to notify you if the parts are "incorrect" for a particular model.

For example, if you buy a new bracelet for the watch today ... it will likely be a flip-lock 16710 bracelet with end-pieces to match this 16750 case. They will not sell you the original 16750 single-lock bracelets because those are no longer made.

If you then took this to RSC in another country, they will verify it positively.

Comment

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...iants..%2Bpics.

Comment

Hi the back case says 16750. I went to RSC and to a shop in Singapore, both says that the numbers and movements are correct. Dial is replaced but original.

I believe them but just want to find out more about the watches. Thus posting this online.

I read Orchi's article on another forum but not relevant right?

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
                      http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

See serial nos range. This should be 1974-76 (depending on which end of 4mil). Are you sure you are looking at the serial correctly i.e. on the case and NOT movement?

If so, then this may be a 16750 movement/dial inside a 1675 case. What is on the inside of the caseback?

More 16750 info: http://doubleredseadweller.com/gmt_transition.htm

I am not entirely sure the intro date for 16750 is correct. It could be 1979 ... have to do more checking.

Comment

Depends on your definition of "relevant". His articles are technically sound but they really split hairs e.g. that the rarest 16750 are those made in 1986/87 because they had WG surrounds and marked "Oyster Perpetual" instead of "Oyster Perpetual Date".

If originality is desired, you have the option of purchasing a correct dial from the period corresponding to your serial no., then keeping it to make your watch complete. You do not necessarily have to swap them.

If desired, do this soon as prices are currently depressed but likely to go up again soon.

Take note - the 1675 dials will not fit the 16750's movement.

without knowing the serial number (which to me can't be 4mil), I can't say which version of the dial would be correct - matt markers (expensive due to scarcity), early WG surrounds or late WG surrounds.

What else do you want to know about the 16750? The rest of the info you listed i.e. bracelet seems correct.

Comment

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
                          Depends on your definition of "relevant". His articles are technically sound but they really split hairs e.g. that the rarest 16750 are those made in 1986/87 because they had WG surrounds and marked "Oyster Perpetual" instead of "Oyster Perpetual Date".

If originality is desired, you have the option of purchasing a correct dial from the period corresponding to your serial no., then keeping it to make your watch complete. You do not necessarily have to swap them.

If desired, do this soon as prices are currently depressed but likely to go up again soon.

Take note - the 1675 dials will not fit the 16750's movement.

without knowing the serial number (which to me can't be 4mil), I can't say which version of the dial would be correct - matt markers (expensive due to scarcity), early WG surrounds or late WG surrounds.

What else do you want to know about the 16750? The rest of the info you listed i.e. bracelet seems correct.
                          Hi there, is there a website to match the serial and dial? Please let me know.

And can you share with the serial should not be 4 mil.

Thanks a lot :>

Comment

http://clockmaker.com.au/rolex_serial_numbers.html

Comment

Bringing this up to share some info.

A 4 mil serial number on a 16750 seems to be a service replacement CASE. All replacement cases starts at 4 mi(not including cases in that era of course eg 1675s)l and so on. An original 16750 didn't start at 4 mil for sure.

So in this thread, the case and dial are replacement parts.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X