Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie need help & advice

Hello all,

recently my elderly dad passed me this really old & poor condition Rolex watch (told me he bgt 70+ yrs ago) and told me to check if its possible to revive it. However having zero knowledge on watches, i hope to seek some advices from the experts. Heck, i dont even know its model, value or if its genuine in first place (unable to find card/receipt).

The main concerns is properly the need for changing the surface glass which is scratched/blurred so much... wondering what will be an estimate for the costs...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks alot!!

Newbie need help & advice

Hello all,

recently my elderly dad passed me this really old rolex watch (told me it was 70+ yrs old) and asked me to check if its possible to "revive" it. Being a newbie with zero knowledge on watches, i hope to seek some advice from any kind experts here. Heck, i dont even know its model, value or its authenticity... someone can advise on that?

The main concern is probably the scratched/blurred surface glass (idk whats the technical terms)... wonder if its possible to "change it" and an estimate of the costs...

Comment

Newbie need help & advice

Hello all,

recently my elderly dad passed me this really old rolex watch (told me it was 70+ yrs old) and asked me to check if its possible to "revive" it. Being a newbie with zero knowledge on watches, i hope to seek some advice from any kind experts here. Heck, i dont even know its model, value or its authenticity... someone can advise on that?

The main concern is probably the scratched/blurred surface glass (idk whats the technical terms)... wonder if its possible to "change it" and an estimate of the costs...

Comment

looks like a 6694..
        Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Yes it does look like a ROLEX Precision 6694 (manual wind) to me. The cost of service/repair will defer depending on where you are getting it done. The more costly option will be to send it in to the ROLEX Service Centre. Or you may consider to approach the independent watch companies to seek more expert advice. Some I can think of are JW Watch, Top Hour, Bronze Age, Chuan Watch, etc.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Looks like 6694.
            Thick bracelet.
            Looks like Black dial silver markers.
            Unknown movement and case condition.

Need technician to check before can know the price to service.
            I would say prepare 400-600 for independent shops,
            1.5-2k for Rolex center.

Resale value range from 1.3-1.8k watch alone, depending on condition.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Appreciate all the inputs, yea its a manual wind watch.

Some additional queries,
              i) What are fees (if any) for the initial assessment of the condition/authenticity at independent shops?
              ii) Do i have to watch the checking process or safe to leave it at the shop? Estimated duration?
              iii) Possible to replace the scratched/blurred surface glass? Estimated cost?

Thanks again, just dont wish to be a robert since im newbie in this

Comment

I would suggest you send to rolex center and get a quote first. From the assessment then decide how and what u want to do with it.
                Originally posted by gizdaniel View Post

Some additional queries,
                i) What are fees (if any) for the initial assessment of the condition/authenticity at independent shops?
                ii) Do i have to watch the checking process or safe to leave it at the shop? Estimated duration?

Comment

Originally posted by gizdaniel View Post

Some additional queries,

i. Quotes are free as I know.
                  ii. Checking depends on shop. Should be done in 10mins when they are free to open the case.
                  iii. If you are not particular on original acrylic glass, last time I changed at top hour for $25.
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Don't send to RSC if you want to keep cost low. Believe servicing at normal shop mentioned is ard that price. I go to one in Chinatown. If you want, PM me.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X