No announcement yet.

The charm of a '60s Submariner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then there's the ncg JB, big crown, Bart gilt, pcg, pre-comex, maxi loliilop dials......nicknames coined by dealers to lend a sort of exotic rarity kind of name to jack the prices up. That's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by garis View Post
      MF dial that's period correct to the case serial would definitely command more than a FF that's period correct, but not much more, if it's a matte dial. I would rather pay premium for a period correct FF 5513 with a pristine dial and mature patina lume plots than a tired looking MF 5513. That said, some earlier MF lume plots, especially the first batch around 66-67, comes with a mixture of tritium lume compound that still glows green for a short while if exposed to a strong source of light. Many has mistaken this as a sign of the markers being relumed but it's not. Then, the lume in earlier batch of 5513 MF dials are applied thickly in such a way that it's 'fat and raised', like a small mound. Many has since disintegrated and powdered away leaving the dial looking pocked marked. It is only the last batch of MF dials from 68-70 and then FF that Rolex started to lessen the lume compound and stabilized the plots. That's why most of the FF 5513 plots still stays intact till this very day.
      Thanks, this explains a lot. There was a MF (getting used to the lingo now!) 5513 that I passed up, because like you said, the hour markers looked like expired medicine pills that have shrunked, chipped off, and hollowed unevenly. The reason I got this one was to have something with a nice patina, simple layout, and have a different character from the modern designs. I intend to keep this one for good, so I guess the value of the watch is going to be a bit of a moot point. And yes, this one has no luminosity left, that somehow forces one to take out a gas lighter when one is about to have a cigarette (cliched shameless movie reference warning!). Appreciate this.

Comment

Wow! A great sharing and learning session......

Comment

That's what I like about this community. A vast library of Rolex's encyclopedias shared by many sifus here.
          Originally posted by flakkampf View Post
          Wow! A great sharing and learning session......

Comment

Originally posted by Gunbucker View Post
            Thanks, this explains a lot. There was a MF (getting used to the lingo now!) 5513 that I passed up, because like you said, the hour markers looked like expired medicine pills that have shrunked, chipped off, and hollowed unevenly. The reason I got this one was to have something with a nice patina...
            be aware of the "tritium creep" - it does happen with time.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Yeah,... Old subbies never die, mate
              My M-first 2mill 5513

Comment

1.59 mil series older brother.
                Originally posted by Felix View Post
                Yeah,... Old subbies never die, mate
                My M-first 2mill 5513

Comment

Try again..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
                    Try again..
                    Snow-white brother..lol

My long sold 5513 mf...

Comment

Haha.. Photo looks whiter than it really is. It's actually very light egg shell color, just the way I like it. XD

Comment

My relatives of the 5513:

Comment

looking for 1962 8xxxxx series 5513...

Comment

Originally posted by garis View Post
                            My relatives of the 5513:

Bro, you have my dream watch! Lovely patina on the 1665 *drool*

Comment

Subbies never die, bro..

Comment

Drool to the max! The photography is not bad either.
                                Originally posted by Felix View Post
                                Subbies never die, bro..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X