Finally..an Omega Seamaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally..an Omega Seamaster

Hi people, I am happy to post pictures of my pride and joy today, an Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80.

The story:

It was just only last year that I got interested in automatic watches, and it started specifically from a humble Ingersoll I got as a gift. Watching the sweeping hand really fascinated me, and kicked start my foray into watches. Speaking to like-minded people from office and reading online got me reading into various watches, and at one point in time, I was captivated by Seiko Divers. Bought a Seiko Yellow FM, followed shortly by an iconic SKX009J. I realised I love watches, especially automatics, and was really excited but a little confused because there were so many watches out there and all attracted me - from the Titrium tech from Luminox to the ol' school charm of Orient Japan. Of course, I read up on expensive Swiss watches too, and decided for one point in time, I probably won't splurge on those cos it was unthinkable to spend a few ks on a watch.

Then the epiphany..I decided since there are far too many watches out there, I would just go for the best..Swiss watches, and somehow I was drawn to OMEGA and ROLEX. My rationale was that, if I want to spend this much on a watch, it had better be recognizable. Branding is a big deal for me. It may sound superficial, but this is my view on luxury watches.

I decided Rolex was too pricey for me at this time, and decided to save up slowly for an Omega. And it was the Seamaster that caught my eye, the Blue Professional with the round lume.

It was very easy to blow a couple of Ks on a watch. I was tempted but couldn't do it. Hence, putting a couple of hundreds every month into an envelope hidden away in a drawer was the way forward. And I was glad I did so. IT helped me decide that I really wanted to buy an Omega and which model I really wanted. I was also mentally prepared that I would save up and eventually not buy. Anyway, my target changed from said SMP to SMP 2254, then back to said SMP, then Speedy, then PO, then AT, then Speedy date, then finally back to the SMP round lume. My choice was reinforced when a good deal popped up and I went to view it. It was beautiful, and I knew it was a great choice and I just had to have it. After checking condition, I handed over the envelope, together with some fresh wads of cash from the ATM (actually haven't finished saving to target amt haha), and the SMP was mine!

Here's a mini review...

Model: OMEGA Seamaster Professional 300m 2531.80

Movement: OMEGA cal.1120 based on 2892-A2 movement; 23 jewels; chronometer certification

Accuracy: So far into 8 days of testing against my Gshock, the SMP is running at -3 seconds. Will update at 10th. It's an old watch, so am quite impressed thus far. Swooning over the wonders of mechanical..

Details: Deep blue with wave pattern shimmers under light, appears matt blue at some angles. Nice round lume gives the classic look. Skeleton hands: was initially skeptical but now loving it, especially when the round lume tip of the hour hand peeks up from behind the minute hand, and how the perimeter of the hands also have lume applied. I was quite unsure about the bracelet looks initially but have grown to love how it feels to the touch. Really smooth. The end links also join with the lugs in an almost seamless fashion. Beautiful.

Comfort: Watch feels heavy when held but when on the wrist, simply 'merges' with your hand such that you don't really feel it at times. Have worn it continuously to work, to bathe and to sleep and the next day to work and it feels like part of my hand.

Gripes: The top part of the bezel seems a little loose with free play, and got tick tick sound when I tap it. Gotta rectify this at next servicing.

Hope everyone enjoys reading my little Omega story as much as I loved writing it. Next step is to get an Omega for my lady..and then off to work for my grail.
    Last edited by adamsmith; 20-10-13, 11:11 PM.

reserved for update

Comment

wow bro..you have made an excellent choice in your first foray into swiss watches.

Enjoy the watch in good health =)..and be assured there will be more to come..haha

Comment

Good choice mate. My first watch that I bought was a vintage Omega Seamaster too!
        "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Excellent choice. And I like the way you saved real hard in order to buy the watch. Makes the purchase much sweeter doesn't it.. =D

Comment

Good Start, Good Choice for a Omega Seamaster.

But as a warning, you should keep away from this website, else you will eventually get poison with Rolex.
            My collections, past & present:-

Tag Heuer 2000, 1989 Aug
            Dunhill Automatic DC 3095, 1991 Dec, Sold
            Swatch Aqua Chrono, 1995 Nov, Spoiled
            Rolex Oyster Perpetual 68274, 1999 Jun, Sold
            Tag Heuer Carrera CV2113-0, 2003 Apr
            Swatch Quartz Precision SBK401A, 2003 Jun, Spoiled
            Tag Heuer Carrera WAC1111, 2004 Dec, Sold
            A.Lange & Sohne, Lange 1 101.030, 2006 Jan
            Casio G-Shock DW 6900AC, 2013 Jun
            Rolex Explorer 214270, 2013 Aug Sold
            Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN, 2014 Jul

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer8813 View Post

But as a warning, you should keep away from this website, else you will eventually get poison with Rolex.
              I was quite sure bout purchasing omega at this point in my life (mid 20s) cos I told myself I will have a lifetime ahead of me to own ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by eXis10z View Post
                Excellent choice. And I like the way you saved real hard in order to buy the watch. Makes the purchase much sweeter doesn't it.. =D
                Yup definitely did la. Throughout that time I was also compelled to do research online so eventually when I did get an SMP, I knew why I got it and not another model or another brand. Went down to Omega AD and other watch places to ask qn and try on haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Newcastle View Post
                  wow bro..you have made an excellent choice in your first foray into swiss watches.

Enjoy the watch in good health =)..and be assured there will be more to come..haha
                  Originally posted by Tricolore View Post
                  Good choice mate. My first watch that I bought was a vintage Omega Seamaster too!
                  Decided I wanted to start off with Omega first due to the strong branding and history. Some may say the watch designs are boring compared to other brands like Breitling but I like the more classic approach of Omega.

One of the bigger dilemmas was choosing between Speedy range and Seamaster range. One of the reasons that swayed me towards Seamaster was the potentially higher repair/service cost for a used Speedy. Even considered the 3510 Speedy Auto, but it felt so small on my wrist and seemed to play 2nd fiddle to the Speedy Pro. The chronograph movement in the Auto was also stacked on the regular time movement. Speedy Auto also wasn't COSC like SMP.

Really happy I decided on Omega at this point. I know if I got another brand, I will constantly be looking back to Omega. Now everytime I see it on my wrist, am happy and don't feel the need to hanker over another brand.

Of course, ROLEX is another ball game. That one another 5 to 10 years..

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer8813 View Post

+1. congrats!
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Soild piece. Congrats.
                      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Somehow I can't edit my second post, so I put the 'results' of my 10 day testing here.

Set my SMP to run in tandem with my G-shock to test how far it would deviate in 10 days.

After day 1, SMP minus 1 sec from G-shock
                        After day 2, SMP minus 1 sec from G-shock
                        After day 3, SMP minus 2 sec from G-shock
                        After day 4, SMP minus 2 sec from G-shock
                        After day 5, SMP minus 2 sec from G-shock
                        After day 6, SMP minus 2 sec from G-shock
                        After day 7, SMP minus 2 sec from G-shock
                        After day 8, SMP minus 3 sec from G-shock
                        After day 9, SMP minus 3 sec from G-shock
                        After day 10, SMP minus 4 sec from G-shock

So is it right to say that SMP is still within COSC spec -4/+6? Please advise this newbie.

Anyhow, am still impressed with a deviation of this range although am unsure if it has been serviced before. Likely though since red dot is gone. Oh my, the wonders of mechanics!

Comment

Very nice! I almost got this piece too but decided to get the PO instead. But still good choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Superbiz View Post
                            Very nice! I almost got this piece too but decided to get the PO instead. But still good choice!
                            I considered the PO too. The prices for the 8500 were $4k-$5k in used market..can push a bit more and get Rolex already. And the 2500d was hard to come by too and not exactly cheap.

Comment

Nice watch. Congrats

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X