My virgin strap changing experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My virgin strap changing experience

After much deliberation, I decided to try out the flieger look. Since it was a buy-try, decided to start out with a simple Seiko.

Picture taken off the net

Chose the Seiko SNKH69J1 for the type B dial and its thin, delicate hands. Love the ultra-slender second hand with the red-tip - overall a refined, classic look (except for the upside down triangle at 12-o'clock but I can live with that)

I've never changed a single watch strap before this in my entire life, so it was a little daunting but decided to take the plunge. To achieve the little pilot watch look, I decided to change the strap from the army-green nylon to a tan leather one.

Sorry was too excited with changing, only remembered to take pictures mid-way through.

The springbars that came with the Seiko originally were way too thin for the Paros leather strap I acquired from petrolnut. Hence, decided to do a dual swap as my strap for my Timex was in need of a change as well.

My Timex expedition which lasted me through Eastern Europe and Turkey.

So what I did was took the springbars from the Timex, used them for the leather strap on the Seiko and replaced the Timex with springbars from the Seiko and a rubber strap I got from the SG ROC gathering earlier this month.

End result:

1st thoughts -

Timex: Haha looks FIERCE

Seiko: Perhaps I should have gone for a black dial instead, was hoping to achieve this look -

but chose the dark green dial because I wanted something different. The looks grow on me in the end though.

All in all, quite an interesting experience. Initially it was tough trying to figure out how to change the straps, as I had no springbar tool and made do with the small flat-head screwdriver from the spectacle repair kit and youtube videos
    Remembered to tap the lugs only midway through experimenting with the Seiko, after taping it with masking tape it was fairly straightforward.

Question though: As the 20mm strap fit snugly into the Seiko lug width, I inserted the springbars by wriggling the strap till I heard the 'snap'.
    Is there a better method for making sure the springbars are in place?

Wriggling it might also tear the tape and result in scratches - I was complacent when doing it for the 2nd time with the Timex and had a scratch on the lug as a result.

Thanks for reading and I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed this chronicle so far.

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X