No announcement yet.

Long Time No See - Zidane's Review of Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold Datejust + Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Time No See - Zidane's Review of Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold Datejust + Update

Update of myself

Hi Everyone, it has been quite a while since my last post for the Rolex 116660 DSSD (http://www.sgrolexclub.com/threads/1...ing-Experience)

And after all these times, I had moved on with my Passion in Gold Watches and had sold all my Stainless Steel Watches to facilitate my consolidation of my watch collection.

Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold Datejust

Ok, lets move on to the Thread Title which is the Review of my Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold Datejust.

This watch was given to me by my Father earlier last year and this watch is his signature watch that he wore for work and events. He used to wear it on a Gold President Bracelet (Not Original Rolex) and a Diamond Bezel (Not Original) which my Brother got for him in the 80s upon his request.(Note: He bought the Watch brand new with Leather Strap from Tickling Time back in 1985 and I am only born in 1986 which I cannot dictate the decisions of the Elder)

Ok, when the watch was passed to me, I removed the diamond bezel and the president bracelet as I am quite a purist in Rolex, I cannot stand these items. However, the Original Dial which is a Matt Gold Dial with Diamonds was corroded due to water slippage and poor handling of the watch. Therefore, I have no choice but to recon the dial then as I was unable to find any suitable dial available in the market then.

Here is the Front view of the Restored Watch

My watchmaker made a good job in recon of the original dial, but Rolex Service Centre does not recognize the modified Dial and its modified hands (Seconds, Minute, Hour) as an Original Rolex Watch.

Looking on the Bright side, my Mother helped my Father to keep the Original Warranty Certificate and the Purchase Receipt that help added the value and history to the watch. In addition, I managed to find a suitable Rolex Watch Box to keep its accessories (Original Green Tag, Original Red Tag, Warranty Certificate, Purchase Receipt as well as the Warranty Card holder.

The Rolex 16018 with the Box

Lets have some basic technical information on the Rolex 16018:-

Model: Rolex Datejust
    Reference No: 16018 (this model replaces the Rolex 1601/8)
    Material: Yellow Gold
    Series: 8 Million Series
    Circa: 1985
    Movement: 3035 (Rolex 3035 movement that utilizes bigger parts as compared to 3135 movement and therefore it has a slightly ticking sound when one holds it near to them)
    Crystal: Sapphire (Note: Rolex Gold Watches adopted the Sapphire Crystal earlier than their Half-Gold and Stainless Steel counterparts in the same era, example 16013, 16014 etc)
    Water Resistance: 100m with Rolex Crown screw in perfectly and gaskets in working condition.
    Lug: No Pin Hole
    Strap: Rolex Alligator Leather Strap with Rolex Plated Gold Buckle (I still have the Original 750 Solid Gold Buckle which I keep while using the Plated Gold Buckle as a spare)

Profile Views of the Rolex 16018

1) Side View of the Watch with the Standard Rolex Screw In Crown with one line under the Crown.

2) View of the Bezel and the Crown. Note: The Bezel of the Rolex 16018 is in an angle that is steeper than its Successor, Rolex 16238 and notice that the finishing of the Bezel is also shaper like a engine-turned bezel which looks abit like its predecessor, Rolex 1601/8. Some may like it while some may not like this design but I am fine with it.

3) Back View of the Watch
    a) Backcase: the backcase for the 16018 is slightly wider than 16238.
    b) Hallmarks: 18K denote Gold Material, the other 2 is too small to see as I don't own a loupe.

Conclusion

Finally, I have reach to an end of my short review of the Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold Datejust. As I had mentioned earlier, my Dial for the Rolex 16018 is a Recon Dial which is a huge let-down for me and ever since I been searching for a Stone Dial to mount on the watch which is a part of my bucket list to realise my dream with my deceased Uncle (Gan Diao) to have a Stone Dial Watch.

Last but not list, a Photo of my Rolex 16018 Yellow Gold DateJust with my Rolex 18239BIC Tridor DayDate to end this short review.

Thanks for Reading my Review and pardon me for my poor photography skills and language used.
    Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Wow...exceptional design from the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by leslee View Post
      Wow...exceptional design from the rest.
      Thanks Bro, i always love a Yellow Gold Datejust.
      Current Collection :

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story and the pics.
        Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Choo Yao Chuen View Post
          Thanks for sharing your story and the pics.
          Very nice.
          Thanks Bro
          Current Collection :

Comment

A little update to my 16018 Post

After trying in vain to search for a Stone Dial, i finally find a nice White Mother of Pearl Dial (Original Rolex Dial) for my 16018 and it looks fabulous

It sure looks real good with the white MOP dial

It reflects shades of Rainbow under different lighting conditions

Finally a Wrist shot with my Mum's 16018 which i sourced for her.

Thanks for Reading and have a Nice Day
            Current Collection :

Comment

Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
              A little update to my 16018 Post

After trying in vain to search for a Stone Dial, i finally find a nice White Mother of Pearl Dial (Original Rolex Dial) for my 16018 and it looks fabulous
              What a lovely watch with the new dial!

My apologies for hijacking this thread, I'm also looking for a replacement black dial for my GMT2 (16710). Perhaps you can help give me some leads/contact where/who I can find one.

Thanks.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X