A very memorable GMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very memorable GMT

Days after days, months after months.. Having countless thoughts of getting or not getting it. Finally, it reaches me on Father's day. It was a gift from my dad and I wasn't expecting anything like that.

He told me, 'Son, I had not done my duty as a Father in the past. This watch can't repay what you and your mum had suffered, but I would like to get at least a gift for you since young.'

He is not pleading for forgiveness, he just want me to be happy. I'm touched, and I guess I'm going to return him the cost of it.

A very memorable GMT

Days after days, months after months.. Having countless thoughts of getting or not getting it. Finally, it reaches me on Father's day. It was a gift from my Dad and I wasn't expecting anything like that. (Shouldn't I be the one giving him something?)

He told me, "Son, I had not done my duty as a Father in the past. This watch can't repay what you and your mum had suffered for years, but I would like to get at least a gift for you since young. Hoping you would like it."

He didn't plead for forgiveness, but when I look into him, I can see that he really regret. It really hurts me to see that he is spending this amount of money just to get what I really want. I wanted to return him the money, but he didn't want it.

It's my first Rolex watch. But I can't really feel totally happy. In fact, I felt very uneasy. Anyone can advise me?

Comment

You cannot change the past, why don't you accept the watch. It will bring you meaningful memories and perhaps you can pass on to your children in the future.

You can get or do something for him for father day. Some times it's not about the money, as pple age mentality and thinking change.
      Last edited by MsLucifer; 01-07-12, 02:08 PM.
      Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Agree with MsLucifer.

Difficult to give advice for such, but from in between the lines (as well as the thread title), I can tell that you do treasure the gift and have (or at least wanting to) forgive your dad.

So keep it and maybe you can buy him something some other time.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Thanks a lot for the comment. I do appreciate and will be taking note about it.

MsLucifer, I agreed. To my own philosophy, money don't make the world goes round. It's all his hard earn money, I don't wish him to spend them just like this.

Throttle, I'm actually ready to get one. 1st hand or 2nd hand. Hmm, mid 20s. Still consider teen? =)

Pegasi, yes, indeed I do really treasure this watch a lot. It's the first ever gift I got from him. I didn't really put it to heart about the past. He got his own family now, I just hope he do realize what he is doing. Not repeating everything again..

Comment

Congrats, treasure the love and care from your dad. Look forward to a better future with your family... Cheers
            Current:
            No More Liao...

Comment

Nothing is thicker than blood, not even gold. I would accept the watch and always remember him as your dad and take care of him for the rest of his life. That's our duty as son. Neat watch, wear it in health!

Comment

Time is not money
                Lost wealth can be accumulated again
                Lost time can never be recovered

Comment

Congrats with both gift and good relationship with your father. No matter what had happened, you two are still Father and Son. Nothing is more important than family. Cherish the good times with your family. Perhaps there were some unhappy moments in the past, but look forward to the new relationship with your father and the watch.

Comment

This is a timeless piece. Your dad has great taste.

Treasure it and pass it on to the next generation in time to come.

Comment

Whatever he has done in the past, I m sure he's trying hard to make up for it.

Accept this beautiful watch, treasure it and pass it on to your future generation. Appreciate the people around you

Cheers

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

I better tell my dad I like daydate
                        Hehe...

I feel u should accept the watch. This is what family is all about. Not monetary value of the watch but the sentiment and the cares/thoughts for each other. Maybe buy a Rolex for him since he dun accept your money back?

Comment

Very nice watch from yr dad. Keep it and pass on to yr kids.

Comment

Thanks a lot people. Sorry that I'm unable to reply. Busy with my work lately.

newbie09, I do and I always will. Thank you. =)

Alexlow, I will put in my very best take care of everything in life. No matter what happens, he still my father afterall.

skydweller_sg, I've got nothing but to agree with what you said. Well said..

breitling77, yes, forget about the past and look toward the future. We can't edit history.

Leo3898, it's actually the watch I like and he know about it. Looking forward to pass it on..

Darkangel, I do agree with you, he's trying to make up what he didn't do at the past. But do you agree with me that by using money to buy such an expsensive watch can make up what actually happened in the past.

jackjack, let him know you want a Daytona. :P Yes, and actually, I'm thinking to get him one too. But still looking at which one he is suitable with.

tangq, yes I will. Hoping that the reason that I pass it on to my kids won't be having the same reason.

Comment

engrave it, keep as heirloom and pass to your kids.... engrave with family name, date, and family crest, seal or other.... make it special and honor your family and it's name.
                              ROLEX.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X