Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU auto shutdown/restart

hi guys,

Not sure if appropriate to post here. I have a problem with my desktop. It auto shutdown/restart when on idle sometimes. Sometimes, after it shuts down, it cannot be turned on again. Unless i turn off all power and wait for quite some time then I can power on. Or else the light at the power button would flicker for 2 secs then whole pc is off again. I checked that GPU and CPU not overheated. So can someone please advise what is the problem?

specs below
    CPU - I7 950
    GPU - ATI 6870
    RAM - 3 X 2GB 1300mhz
    HDD - 2 X 1TB WD 5400rpm
    MOTHERBOARD - X58AUD3R
    POWER SOURCE - 650W Cooler Master

any pros to help advise?
    Thanks!

tough luck. this is not something you can troubleshoot in a forum.

few things you can try if you are keen. suggest you backup all important data first.
    1). try google "cpu auto shutdown/restart". you may get some really good hits and suggestions
    2). you did not mention how recent. in case this is caused by some software you have installed, try
    recovering from a different checkpoint save. ( google this and you might find the detailed procedures)
    3). other things you can try.. run a good viruscheck to see if anything show up.
    4). reinstalling the os from backup if nothing else works
    5) if this is hw problem, you run out of luck. need to bring it in unless you happen to have spare parts.

disclaimer: if things get worst this post will automatically self destruct :-)

Comment

Likely cause might be the power unit spoil.

Comment

the other possibility is motherboard faulty.

if you know how to DIY, i can t-loan you a simple PSU to try out. boot with minimum hardware to test. if all systems go. then it is PSU, then you will have to go to sim lim or ask the brand computer for assistance.

if it is not PSU, then is motherboard.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

have you tried cleaning up ur RAM, the shutdown might be happening coz of RAM overload even when the PC is in standby mode. there are utilities available online , i used to use them often . do a google for RAM cleaner and you might want to download and use the same in trial mode as most of these utilities are paid. please do not download free utilities from sites as they may be viruses

Comment

is it a DIY system?
            try reseating ur components... take out cpu/ram/gfx card whatever and put them back in place.
            else try loaning components to test and see which one is the one causing problems.

Comment

Anyone got shop to recommend for diagnostic at sim lim? And roughly how much. Because current I just undergo operation, so not convenient to troubleshoot on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                the other possibility is motherboard faulty.

if you know how to DIY, i can t-loan you a simple PSU to try out. boot with minimum hardware to test. if all systems go. then it is PSU, then you will have to go to sim lim or ask the brand computer for assistance.

if it is not PSU, then is motherboard.
                I honestly think is PSU. But I just changed like 1 year ago. Similar incident happened and busted the previous PSU..
                Sian... Hopefully not again. Thanks for advice and your kindness to t loan me.

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
                  Ram spoil, change your ram
                  Why you say so?

Comment

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
                    have you tried cleaning up ur RAM, the shutdown might be happening coz of RAM overload even when the PC is in standby mode. there are utilities available online , i used to use them often . do a google for RAM cleaner and you might want to download and use the same in trial mode as most of these utilities are paid. please do not download free utilities from sites as they may be viruses
                    Clean up ram? You mean to free up RAM storage? Then wouldn't it be easier and a permanent solution to just buy ram and upgrade?

Comment

you may want to pm me your location. if it is near my work place or home, i can drop by and help you change the PSU and see if it solves your problem.

Originally posted by Nichmenichyou View Post
                      Anyone got shop to recommend for diagnostic at sim lim? And roughly how much. Because current I just undergo operation, so not convenient to troubleshoot on my own.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

it would be cheaper and easier to use utilities to 'kill' system resources and to see if the RAM is overloaded/over use compared to buy ram, open case, unplug and plug in.

even if you use more ram, it may not solve your problem if the programs are 'hogging' the ram.

Originally posted by Nichmenichyou View Post
                        Clean up ram? You mean to free up RAM storage? Then wouldn't it be easier and a permanent solution to just buy ram and upgrade?

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Just checked comp relative temp without aircon. seems like temp very high man.... CPU 69 degrees max. Gpu 52 degrees. I'm not doing much also...

Comment

is the fan working?

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

working... but stock one. LOL.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X