Experience of attending gatherings with forum members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience of attending gatherings with forum members

A nice cooling Friday deserves an interesting topic. At least I think it would be interesting for both members who have or never attended forum gatherings to hear about others' experience and maybe also, share the purpose or expectation of you attending a gtg. By that I am not referring to a particular gtg organised by this forum. It could be any gtg organized by a forum or privately among forum members, and not necessary this forum.

I have the honour of joining a few gtg with members fom this forum and the experience so far is, in general, quite good. Some I met and became friends with regular contact, some shaked hands only because there was no chance or no time to talk with everybody in the gtg, and some talk a bit and no chemistry but still can molest each other's watch.

Why do I attend such gtg? One simple purpose: make new friends (albeit selectively) or catch up with friends that share a common hobby. Talk cock and gossip, are a consequence of that.

In one of the forum gtg I joined, two members, one sat at my right side and the other at my left, kept chating with each other but treated me as transparent, despite that I proactively introduced myself to one of them (who arrived after me). Both guys I met them for the first time, but apparently they had known each other already. Why joined such gtg if you only want to chat with your mates?

I am sure some of you also have some interesting experience to share?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Maybe I am old-school, but I do feel that the organizer of such gtg has the responsibility to see that everyone is introduced to everyone (except for those who already known each other, of course), and take care of the first-timers. When the group is very large and everyone arrives at different timing, this becomes a challenge, but the organizer could encourage people to move around or change seat in order to interact with more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
      Big Bro pegasi, you and me have a same expectation for organising a gathering, i like your private meet up group , i having the samething you do, the only difference you have proper english, i hantam bola nevertheless some understand me, i believe your private meet up group fantastic, all get along catch up with friends, share a common hobby, Talk cock and gossip. My proposal let's join the privately meet group, your wing and my wing what you say Big Bro !
      I don't have a "group" for meet-up, bro. The recent mini gtg was meant for people staying around the same area, and you are one of them who together came out with the idea in a previous gtg we both attended. I said I would organize and I fulfilled my promise.

I do however sometimes catch up with some members 1-to-1 over lunch or something, but those are not gtg.

Comment

My group, 11 members ask me to ask you, care to join us for next meet up.
        You sound like poaching. Back to the topic. So far I greatful for the gtg that i went to. No one make me feel lonely even when I'm the only newbie in the group. Let me take the opportunity to say thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
          So far I greatful for the gtg that i went to. No one make me feel lonely even when I'm the only newbie in the group. Let me take the opportunity to say thank you.
          One who is equipped with pro cam and fanciful flash is usually very welcome to such gtg

Comment

k
            Me poaching yes, anything wrong looking for kaki to have fun?
            Of course it is not wrong. I just feel hurt for not being included

Comment

if people want to invite you they would. now people may feel obliged to invite you though you are not in their invite list. if invit you will you go? don't go then people will start to gossip about you
              k
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                if people want to invite you they would. now people may feel obliged to invite you though you are not in their invite list. if invit you will you go? don't go then people will start to gossip about you
                oic, please all i don't mean it that way . I'm just pulling hiroki leg .

Comment

errr.. which "leg" .. don't anyhow pull

I share the same sentiments as Mr pegasi here. When I started to meet people from here, I was shy, afraid, uncertain, etc. I always have this mindset that these people I would meet were rich and snobbish people who just liked to brag about their watches, their fanciful and expensive automobiles, their rich lifestyles, etc. But it wasn't this case. Or at least, most of the time, I did not get these vibes. And hence, I started 'opening up' and got myself engaged with people. I can't say I'm always able to engage everyone in a large group but at least some, if not most.

I have to agree that there should be a 'leader', someone (preferrably the organiser(s)) who would take the lead to get everyone warmed up and not leave it to individual members to mingle among themselves because not all are outgoing. There should at least be a 'starting point' of sort. It is not easy, especially when we are all strangers to one another. And sometimes, it gets worse when we remembered who we might have bickered/quarrelled/argued with online.

I think this all boils down to individual personalities. One can be 'outgoing' and 'outspoken' online but the opposite in real person, and vice versa. And we have to recognise that not everyone would 'click' the same. You can't be 'best friend' with everyone in your class right? I think this also explains why you see some members continue to meet regularly, some 'dropped out' along the way, while some would attend (gatherings) selectively. It is not easy to manage everyone's expectations.

Best I can advise for members, especially new ones, who wish to attend such gatherings to come with an open-mind, open-heart. Be participative as much as you can and don't be shy.
                  Last edited by Oceanklassik; 28-06-13, 05:18 PM.
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

And there's something that bothers me which I wish to add. It is not very polite to whisper among yourselves in such a group setting. Personally, I find it disturbing and not very 'friendly'.

Peace out
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

The last time I organize one a few years back through this forum only one fellow member turn up... Once bitten shy twice. Hehehe. But none the less it was a great experience.
                      sigpic

Comment

large is relative, for me a gtg beyond 5 people is considered large already. why? because they would start to form into groups and chat among themselves. it is always hard to encourage people to move/change seat.

sometimes people choose to talk among themselves because they got chemistry.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                        When the group is very large and everyone arrives at different timing, this becomes a challenge, but the organizer could encourage people to move around or change seat in order to interact with more people.

some talk a bit and no chemistry but still can molest each other's watch
                        Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                        And there's something that bothers me which I wish to add. It is not very polite to whisper among yourselves in such a group setting. Personally, I find it disturbing and not very 'friendly'.

Peace out
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                        1. subject heading indicating your issue
                        2. your nick
                        3. your corresponding email address
                        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                          One who is equipped with pro cam and fanciful flash is usually very welcome to such gtg
                          I have non pro cam with small flash... No wonder didn't get special invite!

Comment

I have to say that myself and my wife were warmly welcome in my first meeting with a few of the forumers and I found the group to be really cool and nice!

Of course we did talk about watches and got subsequently posioned , but most of the time, we just chatted about common subjects!

I really would have loved to have mixed around a bit but guess I was too reserved!

Next time then!

Comment

Don't cry don't cry ... You want tissue ???

k

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X