Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What, where to buy diamond ring? Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What, where to buy diamond ring? Help!!!

Am clueless... I'd have preferred to buy a watch instead... But you know, marketing guys too targeted & clever

Maybe $1k, $3k, $5k... What are the choices for a solitaire

Bro, you want to buy new or used would do. depending on the same i can suggest two sources :-

new : visit house of hung at orchard road near hilton

Used : visit HJ watches - Far East plaza , Orchard.

I have dealt with them before and found them to give better deals as compared to the market

Comment

im not really into diamond ring.

my suggestion is to walk to the usual shops to see what their prices are for the various carat.

the few things you may want to note

• clarity
      • color
      • cut
      • carat weight.

for color - the range starts from D to Z where D is the best and price will be higher compared to Z

for clarity - depends on inclusions and blemishes. the range starts from VVs1 to I3 where VVS1 is considered the best compared to I3. there are also flawless and/or internal flawless which are better than VVS1. the better the clarity, the higher the price.

for cut - refers to how the facet reacts to the light. range is from excellent to poor.

carat weight - refers to the weight of the diamond. the heavier the more expensive.

on top of the four things to note, there is also the certification such as GIA certification.

usually the price jump very quickly once it hits over 1 carat. under 1 carat, the jump in price between 0.1 to 0.3 is not as high from a 0.9 to 1.1

so it depends on first your budget and which factor is more important. it may be possible to have a higher carat weight with color and clarity being compromised to suit your budget. likewise if color and clarity is more important, then the carat weight might be lower. alternatively, you can visit for jewellery shops which are considered not so well known for better pricing due to lack of advertising.

Originally posted by Ballwatch View Post
      Am clueless... I'd have preferred to buy a watch instead... But you know, marketing guys too targeted & clever

Maybe $1k, $3k, $5k... What are the choices for a solitaire
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Simple decision buy from lee Hwa's destinee collection. Can trade in with high value next time. Guarantee.

Comment

Dont buy from the usual retail shops. Mark up is too high.
          Buy loose stones from trusted jewellers. They also come with certs.
          Set the stone in a style you like.
          Carat is not everything, color, clarity and cut which produces fire are just as important sometimes more important.

I hv seen many yellowish looking big stones which produce poor fire and look dull on a finger.
          A smaller stone which shines and throws sparkle is more enjoyable to wear and own.

$5k should be able to get a decent you a 0.6 carat F color vvs2 ideal cut round brilliant stone + setting.

Good luck.

Comment

Shop ard..I got mine in one of the 'mainstream' shops.

$5.8k..0.8/G/VS2

May not be the best value but meet my needs.

Comment

Buying diamond from jewelry shops is like buying gold from gold shop are or watches from AD. It seems to make a lot of senses but if you like to stretch your dollar, consider online or overseas option. One popular source for wholesalers is Bluenile.com or JamesAllen.com.JJewelry shops hate you to know that!

Comment

Online is getting more popular these days.
                Bluenile especially.

But for spending $20k to $50k most people including myself still prefer to see the real thing and be able to choose from a selection to make comparisons. Viewing the stones under natural light is also unlike in a right room
                Sometimes buying diamond is like looking for a pet. It speaks to you
                For me, i never buy thinking about resale.
                No two diamonds are exactly the same unless they are totally colorless totally flawless cut from the same big stone, then maybe...

However all the diamonds that i ever bought are never for myself.
                I dont wear jewellery, not even my 5diamond wedding band. Collecting dust in the drawer.

Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                  Dont buy from the usual retail shops. Mark up is too high.
                  Buy loose stones from trusted jewellers. They also come with certs.
                  Set the stone in a style you like.
                  Carat is not everything, color, clarity and cut which produces fire are just as important sometimes more important.

I hv seen many yellowish looking big stones which produce poor fire and look dull on a finger.
                  A smaller stone which shines and throws sparkle is more enjoyable to wear and own.

$5k should be able to get a decent you a 0.6 carat F color vvs2 ideal cut round brilliant stone + setting.

Good luck.

buy from taka jewellery best lah
                  cheapest

i buy a 0.5c

f color( d e f cant see diff)

vvs2(actually anything before s1, u cant see inclusions with naked eye)
                  good cut(those gimmick star or simi rose cut, knn all cant see with naked eye, who the fark bring a Loupe & look @ ur star or rose pattern??)

$2000 only.

something the same from sookee or goldheart cost 4k zzzzz
                  buy a watch u like & please wear it......

Comment

Originally posted by cdior View Post
                    buy from taka jewellery best lah
                    cheapest

i buy a 0.5c

f color( d e f cant see diff)

vvs2(actually anything before s1, u cant see inclusions with naked eye)
                    good cut(those gimmick star or simi rose cut, knn all cant see with naked eye, who the fark bring a Loupe & look @ ur star or rose pattern??)

$2000 only.

something the same from sookee or goldheart cost 4k zzzzz
                    Haha, would you buy a rolex with a spoiled ETA movement ?
                    Naked eye cant see mah....

Heeehee

Oh well to each his own

Comment

Anyway, once you are seasoned with prices you will know such things are 一分钱 一分货. Just like Rolex. Hehe

There is an international price chart. You can refer to get guidance.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the sharing of info, experience & advice

Looks like its no easy exercise... Need to do some leg work

Comment

play around this site.

http://www.bluenile.com/sg/diamond-s...iamondSearchRD

Comment

Originally posted by Ballwatch View Post
                            Wow! Thanks for all the sharing of info, experience & advice

Looks like its no easy exercise... Need to do some leg work
                            Most importantly, buy what is meaningful to your heart.
                            It doesnt matter what size becos your gf who loves you will appreciate.

More than 10 yrs ago, i also gave my ex girlfren an engagement ring of just 0.6carat.
                            I felt that there was no need to spend too much since i was still young and starting out and she also agreed and happily accepted.

Sincerity is key.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                              Most importantly, buy what is meaningful to your heart.
                              It doesnt matter what size becos your gf who loves you will appreciate.

More than 10 yrs ago, i also gave my ex girlfren an engagement ring of just 0.6carat.
                              I felt that there was no need to spend too much since i was still young and starting out and she also agreed and happily accepted.

Sincerity is key.
                              Well said!

I like the last 3 words! Fully agree

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X