Concerns in buying a pre-owned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns in buying a pre-owned

As per topic, what are your reservations in buying a pre-owned piece? Just want to find out yr views on this if the time piece you are after are within your budget and from a reputable seller.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
    As per topic, what are your reservations in buying a pre-owned piece? Just want to find out yr views on this if the time piece you are after are within your budget and from a reputable seller.
    No diff for me. I prefer used as it's much cheaper and who really cares with your watches are bought brand new or not? It's still a Rolex!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

what if its not a Rolex?? Like say JLC, IWC, Omega, Ball??

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

what if its not a Rolex?? Like say JLC, IWC, Omega, Ball??
        NO diff with me...I still prefer used. But for those brands harder to find used la...the only brand new pieces I bought were my Hamilton and Tag so far. My Rolex was preowned and 1 from my grandfather

Comment

for me, it is superstitions reasons. so nothing else about the watch is of concern.

however, if superstitions is not a concern for me, i would consider some and if not all the following reasons

1) history of the watch piece itself - was the watch subjected to rough usage. this can be seen by the dents, bad scratches, etc.

2) authenticity of the watch

3) when was last service done. however, it is not a true good indicator as sometimes seller may not want to change parts that is expensive since there is intention to sell the watch. which brings me to the next point

4) are the parts/movements in good condition or the parts are due for change or the watch is due for major overhaul. this would affect the price i am willing to pay for.

5) condition of bracelet especially rolex ones. i have seen bracelet where it can be bend backward or forward aka creating an arch.

6) papers is a must. box is if have good, not critical. however some people dont mind without box and papers. however, sometimes box may degenerate due to age like breitling, omega, and some other brands. in this case, papers are sufficient.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            for me, it is superstitions reasons. so nothing else about the watch is of concern.

however, if superstitions is not a concern for me, i would consider some and if not all the following reasons

1) history of the watch piece itself - was the watch subjected to rough usage. this can be seen by the dents, bad scratches, etc.

2) authenticity of the watch

3) when was last service done. however, it is not a true good indicator as sometimes seller may not want to change parts that is expensive since there is intention to sell the watch. which brings me to the next point

4) are the parts/movements in good condition or the parts are due for change or the watch is due for major overhaul. this would affect the price i am willing to pay for.

5) condition of bracelet especially rolex ones. i have seen bracelet where it can be bend backward or forward aka creating an arch.

6) papers is a must. box is if have good, not critical. however some people dont mind without box and papers. however, sometimes box may degenerate due to age like breitling, omega, and some other brands. in this case, papers are sufficient.
            I totally agree with you. Especially with the bracelet,my grandpa's bracelet can bend forward and backward till dunno wad...spent $751 on a new 1 heart ache but worth it la. So I will not really recommend people to get a Jubilee bracelet old 1.

Number 6 is pretty important. Box to me is a must,but if dun hav no choice

Comment

i prefer with box....

if not, would have bought the Omega from our garage liaos...
              A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

speaking of box...
                do you guys experience that after YEARS (like 5-7yrs) of keeping the box in the drawer, it becomes flaky, cracked and it will peal off?

My Tag 6000 series and Hublot boxes all became like that liao.. why are?? Any way to prevent this from happening?

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
                - GMT IIc TT
                - U1
                - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

I don't mind pre-owned pieces, so long as the condition is good. In fact, box and papers to me are not important

Most important is the condition is good, and the price is right
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

speaking of box...
                    do you guys experience that after YEARS (like 5-7yrs) of keeping the box in the drawer, it becomes flaky, cracked and it will peal off?

My Tag 6000 series and Hublot boxes all became like that liao.. why are?? Any way to prevent this from happening?
                    eh. i got experience only with breitling box 'leather' starts disintegrating. think someone mentioned about using silicon gel. but no luck. guess it is the quality of the box. tat is why wooden box are better.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      eh. i got experience only with breitling box 'leather' starts disintegrating. think someone mentioned about using silicon gel. but no luck. guess it is the quality of the box. tat is why wooden box are better.
                      Leave outside at let it rot lor...or can put in dry box

Comment

I think it makes more economical sense to purchase pre-owned watches cos you tend to lose lesser when u decide to flip them sometime down the road. Personally, I think its perfectly fine to purchase from a reputable seller but then again if your purchase is one that you are determined to keep for a long time, I would think a brand new piece is the way to go. Juz my opinion...
                        HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
                        REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

speaking of box...

My wife's tag kirium's box also flaky until buay tahan, just threw away recently.
                          Submariner 14060
                          Breitling Colt Auto II
                          Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                          Bell & Ross BR03-92
                          MM20

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your views on the topic.

I guess psychological barrier is another factor to overcome....

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
                            - GMT IIc TT
                            - U1
                            - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

Any idea how does "UNDATED" card works? If the card is "undated", if I were to bring it to a service center, is it better for me to NOT show the staff the "UNDATED" warranty card? (so that they won't date it)?

Is there a chance that after purchasing a pre-owned pc with undated card, can it still remain undated until its necessary? (Even if brought to have it authenticated)

Thanks in advance.

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
                              - GMT IIc TT
                              - U1
                              - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X