If I will be other, who will be me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I will be other, who will be me?

The "which watch would you buy" type of threads must be one of the most commonly seen on the watch forums that never stop showing up (my lame attempt of posting an idiot guide to help these people has apparently failed).

It is interesting since most men would not seek opinions, other than from the wife sometimes, on the clothes and shoes they wear. Is getting a popular watch/brand as one's choice of watch a reflection of one's wish to blend into and be recognized by the community? Or is it more of a consideration of resale value/ease of reselling the watch? Both are sad, and contradict what I have been reading about why people appreciate and collect watches, so I hope such are minority.

Take a look at the watch(es) you wear/own - is that you? Or other?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

No doubt, 100 percent me.

Comment

Still figuring out
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Sometimes I believe that they already know what watch they want to buy. It maybe they want assurance that they have made the right decision. They start a thread to seek opinion that they are not aware of.

Recently a senior member and friend pm me asking for opinion about a model of a particular watch cause this model had a history of minor movement issues back then and the issue had been resolved. But I believe the member is not 100% certain.

I see no issue in members wanting to seek opinion on choices between watches. It could be the way it was phrased. There are times when I don't know how to phrase my questions for issues I want to clarify. So the initial post was up due to fast fingers.

If I recall correctly I started a thread or a post somewhere where there were a series of questions and suggestion that would enable a user to make a choice
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I feel it depends on the price..a thousand or several thousands is never a small amount per se. Of course, people would like to get the most bang for buck, aside from appreciation of the looks etc. I don't see people posting on 'which G-Shock should i get'...

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
            No doubt, 100 percent me.
            I believe you my friend.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
            Still figuring out
            50/50? 70/30?

Originally posted by triton View Post
            Sometimes I believe that they already know what watch they want to buy. It maybe they want assurance that they have made the right decision. They start a thread to seek opinion that they are not aware of.

Recently a senior member and friend pm me asking for opinion about a model of a particular watch cause this model had a history of minor movement issues back then and the issue had been resolved. But I believe the member is not 100% certain.

I see no issue in members wanting to seek opinion on choices between watches. It could be the way it was phrased. There are times when I don't know how to phrase my questions for issues I want to clarify. So the initial post was up due to fast fingers.

If I recall correctly I started a thread or a post somewhere where there were a series of questions and suggestion that would enable a user to make a choice
            Fair comments. However, "opinion about a model of a particular watch" and "opinion on choices between watches" are quite different matters imo. But like you say, depends on how the question is phrased too.

Comment

Originally posted by adamsmith View Post
              I feel it depends on the price..a thousand or several thousands is never a small amount per se. Of course, people would like to get the most bang for buck, aside from appreciation of the looks etc. I don't see people posting on 'which G-Shock should i get'...
              Maybe not G-shock but Seiko I think there were.

It is definitely a valid and likely reason that people are being more cautious when buying big money items, but the most bang for buck watches are usually not the expensive ones. Depends on who you ask, of course.

Comment

i guess it's like 'trying their best not to make mistake/regret' by having assurance from others.. its sort of like taking the load off them, unknowingly the load is still on.
                I've had watches from my own decide and strong recommendation from friends. Those that i made my own choices..I am still wearing it.

Comment

I do not look to others to confirm my self-worth. I recognize my value on my own and don’t live up to anyone’s expectations. I do things for myself that I believe will advance me in life. By not concerning myself with the opinions of others, I can focus on personal growth but am I strong enough to carry my own coffin..

Happiness something I hopes to achieve in my lifetime. Such a simple concept, yet I have trouble realizing how to obtain it. Sometimes I unintentionally create my own obstacles that prevent me from achieving this goal. It is ever so important to realize the ways I am limiting myself so I can fully reach happiness. At the end of the day opinions works to stop people from commit suicide.

Happy people and unhappy people see the world through two completely opposing views. Let’s look at the ways happy people stay happy, while the unhappy remain miserable.

If I will be other, who will be, nobody.. But first man wear pam on the moon okey lah..
                  Last edited by clocking; 07-03-14, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I stand and fall by my own decision. Will not seek opinion unless I am not sure about a watch's authenticity (it happened recently).

Comment

I agreed with what triton shared on seeking opinion regrading the technical aspect of the watch.

I do find funny when seeking opinion on which one looks good or which one hold value better when comes to appreciating watches.

Comment

as to seeking opinion on which one looks good, it was mentioned earlier. need assurance. after all, it could be their first luxury watch.

as for which one hold value better, i believe they want to know if in an event they want to flip, what is their potential losses. however people may not be aware that a watch that holds good value now may not hold good value even in 2-3 months because demand and supply changes.

Originally posted by TanWL View Post

I do find funny when seeking opinion on which one looks good or which one hold value better when comes to appreciating watches.
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Maybe I was wrong to assume people always end up buying the more favorable choice between the two watches which opinions are seek.

I myself am guilty of creating one such thread to seek for help to choose a dress watch between JLC and IWC (I mentioned this before in another thread too). I bought the more favorable JLC and then sold it after 6 months. Looking back, I am pretty sure I would still have bought the JLC among the two even if it received less favorable opinions. I guess my mistake then was not with buying something based on others' opinion (at least that's what I would like to believe) but bought something that is "not me"?

Am I talking sense?

Comment

i have yet to successfully sell any of the watches i bought.

i admit i did attempt to sell 3 watches as a set as there are no more places to store the boxes.

how i managed to to find more places to store the watch boxes? get rid of other things.

someone commented that it seems that i buy watches to relieve stress. most if not all, i dont buy watches on the spur of moment. it is usually a watch that i have possibly been looking at for quite awhile.

i too have been guilty of posting which watch to buy.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                            Take a look at the watch(es) you wear/own - is that you? Or other?

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
                              I stand and fall by my own decision. Will not seek opinion unless I am not sure about a watch's authenticity (it happened recently).
                              Think again. That does not necessary mean you are not taking into consideration the opinions that you have read from the various watch forums or sites.

Have you ever thought of buying an expensive watch that you quite like but shy away because of its lesser known brand by others? Not just once had I heard such comments from friends: "Why spend so much on this brand that few people know? It's not worth it cos no one will know you are wearing an expensive watch."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X