an article to read before you purchase your next watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an article to read before you purchase your next watch

one may like to read this article before purchasing the next watch considering the maintenance cost of a watch in future
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

isnt this what rolex and patek has been practising for ages?
    i'd say swatch is a tad slow in adopting the practise

Comment

Originally posted by pega View Post
      isnt this what rolex and patek has been practising for ages?
      i'd say swatch is a tad slow in adopting the practise
      Slow ? This is not a matter between who are fast. Swatch eta movements are installed in most brands . With this policy . That would mean you may have problem to service your swatch eta power movement that do not belong to swatch group eg tudor, oris, ball, heuer etc. Even if they do, they will charge you more for getting the parts now.

Comment

i think servicing costs, like living costs, will always be going up. swatch's measures are something that i recall have been a long time in the making (at least since about ten years back).

problems will only arise for brands that are/will become defunct or difficult to get parts (eg, base plates). many of the other common wear/tear parts can still be found at parts supply companies and independent watchmakers' store. i also assume many of them have been/will be stocking piling parts.

let's not get too agitated. when there's demand, supply will eventually come through (eg, selita). there should not be a lack of most parts leading up to that point - 31 december 2019.

breathe! keep calm and carry on.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
          i think servicing costs, like living costs, will always be going up. swatch's measures are something that i recall have been a long time in the making (at least since about ten years back).

problems will only arise for brands that are/will become defunct or difficult to get parts (eg, base plates). many of the other common wear/tear parts can still be found at parts supply companies and independent watchmakers' store. i also assume many of them have been/will be stocking piling parts.

let's not get too agitated. when there's demand, supply will eventually come through (eg, selita). there should not be a lack of most parts leading up to that point - 31 december 2019.

breathe! keep calm and carry on.
          My watchmaker has complained problem getting parts and movement for eta . Yes, i agree getting serviced will not be an issue . But be prepare to pay more (more than inflation rate) for servicing. And your eta watch maybe filled by "non-original" movement parts as original part is getting harder to get.

Comment

hi, not sure if this is true but i read somewhere that Sellita makes 1-1 replacement parts for ETA

Comment

very useful information. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jieming View Post
                My watchmaker has complained problem getting parts and movement for eta . Yes, i agree getting serviced will not be an issue . But be prepare to pay more (more than inflation rate) for servicing. And your eta watch maybe filled by "non-original" movement parts as original part is getting harder to get.
                I serviced my watch in Malaysia (KL) and the watchmaker could get the parts I needed (Unitas Main Spring) although I had to wait.

Comment

I serviced my watch in KL last year and there were no problems getting parts. It was a manual wind Unitas.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Quite a sad thing they are walking this path.

Comment

thanks for sharing...looks like will need to bring my old tissot for servicing soon.

Comment

Good read. Something to factor before picking up a 'good deal' of a 2nd hand watch.

Comment

thanks for the article

Comment

"Ooops, this page cannot be found."

i guess i am too late..
                              Currently Own
                              Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN - May 2014

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse