Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a remedy?

For the sake of discussion..

How do we KEEP (HOLD ON TO) our watches and ensure that we do not sell them? Is there any way/method(s)/formula some where, someone can share because it sometimes drives me nuts

Whenever we eye a watch, we often set a target to get it, then we keep it, wear it. But at times and for some of us, we often ended up selling it along the way and for various reasons, reasons that are mostly called 'excuses' to justify a next purchase. And most of the time, we ended up regretting some of the watches we had sold. Having often keeping this in mind, I started to be more 'careful' in my future purchases but it recurs again .. and again

Is there a way to curb this? Anyone, pls??
    The Crown Of Achievement

Don't visit sgrolexclub.com for a start ....
    Actually no cure I think... Runs in the blood.

Comment

take it slow. if i'm eyeing a piece, i usually let it simmer and wait for a couple of months before making a decision. in between, i would visit the shops to touch and see now and then, and see if it still sings as loudly to me. then i will know it's a keeper.

why rush into making a decision? there's no hurry.

Comment

To somebody, this has become their " life-style " .

Comment

So far, I am doing what you and most others are doing. Buying and selling and flipping.

Really there's no cure and I rather it be this way. Time changes and so are our "needs".

I rather sell or trade the ones that I think doesn't satisfied me anymore and buy the one that sing to me at that moment. But I tend to be careful as not to regret doing it later and so far, I have not. Maybe because the watches that I sold/traded away does not have any emotional/sentimental attachment to it. And I am liking the process, the selling and the hunting. Makes this hobby much more fun.

So what I have learnt is, unless there's an emotional/sentimental and meaningful attachment, linked to a particular watch, the rest are always available to be sold/traded away.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
          it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
          How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
          That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Target 3 grail pieces and call it a day?

Comment

Perhaps is just for today.
              After you got the 3 pieces ,,,,,,,, .
              The next 3 will be coming. And follow by next.
              Just enjoy it. Cheers.

Originally posted by polarinda View Post

Comment

Originally posted by polarinda View Post
                I used that for myself last time too.
                It just cannot work for me.
                Poison too deep.

I'm limited by money if not I'm addicted to buying.
                Nowadays I will just be more discipline, read up more and see touch from AD until I'm really sure it will stay with me for at least for a while.

Comment

A good way is to target a piece, and start saving up (or setting aside some money) for it. Of course, it would take some time, in which it would be a good thing to ponder about the purchase. When you have saved up enough, I believed you would have an idea as to whether you'd still like the particular piece or not. It would ensure that the purchase would not be a rash one, in this case.
                  "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

see no evil = do no evil

joke aside, i guess just take a step back, take your time, evaluate and decide. "time heals (almost) all" (urge too?, i dun know..)
                    like some of the forumers mentioned, there's no cure. but the mind is very the powerful, so if you exercise control, you will see result.
                    在幻变的生命里, 岁月, 原来是最大的小偷...

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                      For the sake of discussion..
                      How do we KEEP (HOLD ON TO) our watches and ensure that we do not sell them? Is there any way/method(s)/formula some where, someone can share because it sometimes drives me nuts
                      Whenever we eye a watch, we often set a target to get it, then we keep it, wear it. But at times and for some of us, we often ended up selling it along the way and for various reasons, reasons that are mostly called 'excuses' to justify a next purchase. And most of the time, we ended up regretting some of the watches we had sold. Having often keeping this in mind, I started to be more 'careful' in my future purchases but it recurs again .. and again
                      No cure, you can only manage the sickness...
                      What I find useful:
                      1) before committing to a purchase, i impose on myself a 2 weeks mandatory cooling off period.. if after 2 weeks of cold turkey, the timepiece still sings to me... go get it!
                      2) I set 5 as the number of watches I can have at any one time; nothing comes in, unless something goes out first.
                      3) sometimes, there are watches that I hvae decided to sell, but once I change the bracelet/ strap etc, somehow it feels like a 'new' watch and I fall in love with it all over again..
                      At the end of the day, this is a HOBBY, and a hobby entails passion. Passion and logic does not really gel all the time. Just keep this hobby within means and I think it is fine.
                      Have fun!
                      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                      three times is enemy action and
                      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                      ."

Comment

it is my principle. even if i dont wait couple of months and commit to a watch immediately, i am pretty sure it is for keeps. so far i have yet to sell any watches i bought.

Originally posted by infinitesadness View Post
                        take it slow. if i'm eyeing a piece, i usually let it simmer and wait for a couple of months before making a decision. in between, i would visit the shops to touch and see now and then, and see if it still sings as loudly to me. then i will know it's a keeper.

why rush into making a decision? there's no hurry.
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                        1. subject heading indicating your issue
                        2. your nick
                        3. your corresponding email address
                        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

sit on top of fort knox

other way is to channel your savings into some other form of investment like shares etc or commit to long term investment (house/insurance policies) whereby you need to put in x amount of money so that you have little or no spare cash left.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Don't know why, from reading all your responses, you guys seem to be enjoying what I am beginning to detest

Yes I understand. And I have deployed one or two tactics some of you had suggested like imposing a cooling off period, saving up so that I can buy some time to decide, etc. However, it seems that often, it is only until I have acquired the watch that I want, to realize if I actually want that watch. Trust me, no matter how often you can visit the ADs/watch shops to try on the watch, it is and will never make you feel contented until the watch is owned by you. Then, you either love it madly (keep for a year or two), like it (keep for 6 months), like it a little (keep for 2-3 months), or totally detest it (can't wait to sell it the very next day!). Seriously, haven't you guys experienced or come across people buying the same watch twice/thrice, or more, over a short period?!

And to Mr triton, not many people can be like you, ie buy-keep, buy-keep, buy and buy and buy and buy, and all keep
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

There is no cure in sight.

Some watches i sell very fast after i got it. Some watches i regretted selling and missed them.

One big issue is, there are limited funds.

I took suggestion and go slow. Very slow indeed. But when i looked at those on 2D and 3D, the urge comes. So far i stopped at twice for the exact same model. Now on the edge of getting another 2x.
                              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X