Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High repair bill and premium hike vex driver

High repair bill and premium hike vex driver

FILING an accident claim after his car skidded last August brought motorist Tan Boon Tong, 46, two shocks.

First, the repair bill hit $19,800 - for repairs done at a workshop authorised by his insurer NTUC Income, and when the car engine had been undamaged at that.

The second and bigger shock - when Income told him the premium for his two-year-old Suzuki Grand Vitara would now be more than $5,000, up from $970.

Mr Tan, a regional business manager, said: "I do understand that premiums will rise after a claim. I can even accept it if the increase is 100 per cent - but not by more than 400 per cent."

Up until the accident - on a slip road out of the Tampines Expressway on a wet day - he had had a spotless record in the past 10 years.

For that, he had been enjoying a no-claims discount of 40 per cent.

But now, he is in a bind, he said, because other insurers have refused to insure him upon hearing of the $19,800 claim.

It was an amount Mr Tan has disputed from the start.

He said several parts which the Income-appointed workshop listed as replaced were not changed.

These included the horn, reverse sensors and front tyres.

The open market value of the two-litre sport-utility vehicle is $19,500.

When Mr Tan raised his doubts over the repair bill with Income, he was told to confront the workshop himself.

Asked for a comment, Income - Singapore's largest motor insurer - said: "Our surveyors assess the damage and confirm the required repair work with the workshop to ensure that costs are kept low."

It defended the 400-per-cent premium hike, saying it was because Mr Tan's no-claims discount had been reduced from 40 per cent to 10 per cent; Income had also slapped a claims surcharge "of the highest loading" on his policy.

Income's general manager Pui Phusangmook said: "In keeping with industry practice, the premium payable by customers who have claims against their policy will be much higher than those who have an accident-free driving record.

"This is necessary to keep premiums low for safe drivers."

But Income plans to raise motor premiums by 15 per cent to 20 per cent this year.

And at least one policyholder has written to the press saying this insurer had jacked up his premium by more than 30 per cent, despite his clean record.

The Consumers Association of Singapore said it was "concerned with the manner and the extent of the increase", especially when the car was repaired at an insurer- authorised workshop.

"Such action on the part of the insurer may send the wrong signal that there is no difference between repairing the car at an authorised workshop or doing so at an unauthorised one," Case executive director Seah Seng Choon said.

Asked if a 400-per-cent premium hike was normal, General Insurance Association president Derek Teo, also AIG's executive vice-president, said it was inappropriate for him "to comment on our competitor's quotation, but I am sure there are reasons for the hike".

But an industry veteran said the rise was "clearly excessive" and "even highend cars do not attract such a premium".

He added that a $19,000 claim was "not very high", as injury-related claims can shoot past $100,000.

QBE Insurance chief executive Michael Goodwin also declined comment on the increase, but said Mr Tan was free "to shop around" for another insurer.

Mr Tan said he has gone to four other insurers but all turned him away.

With his policy expiring next month, he said he may have no choice but to pay up.

He said: "What can I do? I'm at the mercy of these people."

OMG..... 5x the amount? anyway, from the pic... i dun see hw the repairs can come up to 19k...
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

actually i don really understd how income works.

there are many drivers that never claim before but their premium keep increasing. In the letter informing them of claims, they were told that lots of errand drivers, hence have to increase. how come non errand drivers have to tio?

and ntuc aprpoved mechanics some of them will charge high high de so haev to be careful
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Ridiculous... i will ask them to list out what was replaced,and repaired.No way from the photos such repair would cost more than 10k!

Comment

If everything change brand new parts, can cost up to $19k... headlamp change (1 pair), fog light change (1 pair), fender change, suspension change, bumper change, rim change, tyre change, joint arm change (1 pair), etc....

Originally posted by louie View Post
        Ridiculous... i will ask them to list out what was replaced,and repaired.No way from the photos such repair would cost more than 10k!

Comment

xiao..

day light robbery..
          I'm a super low-baller

Comment

thats why i don own a car!

actually is cant afford haiz....see this kinda thing how to afford?
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              If everything change brand new parts, can cost up to $19k... headlamp change (1 pair), fog light change (1 pair), fender change, suspension change, bumper change, rim change, tyre change, joint arm change (1 pair), etc....
              okay,lets try here...remember this is a japanese car. I estimated the below....

1.headlamps 1 pair = $800
              2.fog lamps 1 pair = $600
              3.front back bumper =$1200 + $1000
              4.suspension with spring = $500
              5.rim =$600
              6.tyre=$200
              7.joint arm=$1000

total cost for parts=$5900..

$19800-$5900=$13900 labour??

Comment

missed out the fender = $1000

total=$6900

$19800-$6900=$12900...

Comment

Agreed. 19k for a repair of this extent is too much. Instead of slapping high premiums, why don't the insurance company themselves do self reflection on their part? For example, the repair workshop might inflate the cost of the parts, which is probably most likely. I have seen for myself, workshops charging excessively and using second hand parts for repairs but putting first hand parts price on the invoice.

This practice is totally unacceptable and it only benefits those who are making money out of it. The insurance co. should do some investigation to weed out the "black sheeps" themselves instead of charging higher premiums every year just because they are losing money. They are not solving the problem, instead making it worse.
                  PAM 233K :woohoo:
                  IWC BP 5004 :D
                  Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
                  Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

im not sure about in s'pore, but in Oz, we have to get three quotes, and we scrutinise every bit and pieces, otherwise we will have monkey workshop charging exhorbant repair bills.

i always make my conditions clear: everything to be documented, and if work deviates from the quote, i must be made aware immediately.

which is funny because honda dealer, never do the work, still can issue a big service bill after i told them. it wasnt after i despute the invoice, that the car barely had a wash + oily tires
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

this article was lifted off the forum page from ST on 0062009, response from insurer. this is the other side of story with pictures.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Bro cannot see the article... I'm curious about the other side of the story
                        PAM 233K :woohoo:
                        IWC BP 5004 :D
                        Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
                        Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

huh? cannot see? i can see leh

anyway this is the online version.

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_385067.html
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

wah...totally whacked in the front still say nothing serious....

i always believe in looking at both sides of the coin....

no wonder now the insurance companies also scare.....
                            Rolex SD "m" series
                            Omega Speedmaster
                            PAM 164K

Comment

the car tio whack upside down..... i wonder how he drive, until will spin out
                              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                              Blue 6694
                              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X