Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a computer expert. So normally I don't dare to fool around my XMM's jpg files... if gone, I will be sentenced to death... .... so what I transfer fr my camera, I don't really change it or edit it (unless I have an original file as a backup)....
    yes you're rite, another option is rather set up an array of disk, put in 2 disks first. then have one to write data and another to do backup. This way is faster but triton bro, $800 vs $200.....

Originally posted by triton View Post
    u will still buy, just that which one is more value for money. i see where you are heading already. i think you should stop and think abit. at this rate, you will end up with alot of hdd.

i think you should consider seiko.citizen idea. get a file server and set up an array of disk. advantages is that a HP file server now cost like 800 with 300GB HDD about 1k with OS thrown in.

advantage of setting up an array of disk. makes backup faster easier. disadvantage, if it fills up too fast, then u got to change all disks.

another option is rather set up an array of disk, put in 2 disks first. then have one to write data and another to do backup. i do it this way for home setup. in office, i have 2 disks and a backup drive which is backup all the compressed data.

consider using tools like winzip to zip up your files that hardly used. then back them up, every 1MB u save, u save money considering tat you have 250GB which can save u about 10% of the space if you compress the files.

Comment

Yes to calculate the cost per MB or GB is how one should figure the value for money. But to me, above this is the risk of 1TB holds. Should anything happen to yr 1TB HDD due to mechanical failure, corruption, virus etc, that's a huge amt of precious photos to loose. So I opt for the smaller 640GB and would rather get two than 1 unit of HDD. One must decide what is best for them.

I hope the technology for SSD accelerates and mass produce high capacity ones. It's definitely more stable and reliable than hDD. Maybe only then, getting a huge capacity SSD is less worrying.

before you embark on getting a TB disk. you may want to do this. it is not about the price to pay for since it is about 200 which some of us wont bat an eyelid.

what i normally do is calculate the price for 1MB/GB for the various sizes. there will be a quantum price jump between 2 sets of size of disk. between the 2 sizes, buy the one of the lower comparison. this is because it is the cheapest per MB @ the time of purchase.

the 1TB may cost 200+ now but 6 mths down the road it could be cheaper. most important is buy the most value for money disk.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
      - GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
      - Master Eight Days (1608420)
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

is ok if u aint no computer expert. that is why it is good to learn more. i also not computer expert. i learn as i go along.

i do know you are afraid to 'lose' the pictures. as such, it is wise to install antivirus software. my current antivirus cost 10/annually. previously using norton cost me 30/annually.

look @ different perspective. 800 v 200 is current situation. long term, maybe you will spend more than 200? usually when i setup a system, i look ahead for about 5 years. then it is time for a overhaul. my home setup lasted me 8 years. over the 8 years, i think i spend a total of 3k (PC setup and backup system). if you spread the cost over 8 years, it is about < 400 annually.

if you need help in setting up the system. let me know. also im not sure if your office needs system maintenance. coz i negotiated with my IT vendor to take care of company system and home system.

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
        I am not a computer expert. So normally I don't dare to fool around my XMM's jpg files... if gone, I will be sentenced to death... .... so what I transfer fr my camera, I don't really change it or edit it (unless I have an original file as a backup)....
        yes you're rite, another option is rather set up an array of disk, put in 2 disks first. then have one to write data and another to do backup. This way is faster but triton bro, $800 vs $200.....
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

what kind of service you intend to run with 4/8 TB of data?
          got many files, images, videos, apps (mac + windows), etc etc. def not running bittorrent service
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

thanks bro!

is ok if u aint no computer expert. that is why it is good to learn more. i also not computer expert. i learn as i go along.

i do know you are afraid to 'lose' the pictures. as such, it is wise to install antivirus software. my current antivirus cost 10/annually. previously using norton cost me 30/annually.

look @ different perspective. 800 v 200 is current situation. long term, maybe you will spend more than 200? usually when i setup a system, i look ahead for about 5 years. then it is time for a overhaul. my home setup lasted me 8 years. over the 8 years, i think i spend a total of 3k (PC setup and backup system). if you spread the cost over 8 years, it is about < 400 annually.

if you need help in setting up the system. let me know. also im not sure if your office needs system maintenance. coz i negotiated with my IT vendor to take care of company system and home system.

Comment

'LIVE' at suntec!!! Too crowded!!! Give up!!!

Comment

suntec always crowded
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Finally fight thru the crowds and got this for $149.... can save 285000 JPGs... maybe I should start taking more pictures of my watch....

Comment

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Finally fight thru the crowds and got this for $149.... can save 285000 JPGs... maybe I should start taking more pictures of my watch....
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Yes you should

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Thanks man!!! You're also saving the Earth... At least I didn't bother to take those flyers given in the show....

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                        okok share good stuff with good bros.

bad bros don come in hor

http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/pcshow2009/

Comment

WOW, Just bought it 2 months ago is $169. Good buy, really useful!

Comment

HAHAH I got the same one but mine was 640GB. Din't go for the 1TB for the reasons I stated... but hey!! ITs still a good buy at damn good price of only $40 more....

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                            - GMT II
                            - GMT IIc TT
                            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                            - U1
                            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X