X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming & dating card when buying a watch

Hi..

Been thinking about this for a while.

- When purchasing a used watch, how much $ does having the complete set (i.e., card + box) add/or take away to the sale value?

- When purchasing a higher end used watch(i.e. patek, AP), does purchasing one un-named/undated present an advantage to the buyer and add a few extra $$ to the seller or no difference?

A lot of people play up that their set's are un-named and undated, any advantages?

Thanks

I think it isn't just about getting a higher value for a complete, un-named/undated set. It is also about how much easier/faster it would be to get the watch sold, in addition to the higher value.

How much value it would add/subtract to the (re)sale value will depend also on other determining factors of the watch such as the watch's condition, what service/repair may have been done to it, polished or not polished, etc. For vintage pieces, how original the watch's condition has been, would also have certain weightage on the value. Would you, as a vintage watch collector, pay more for a polished up old watch that comes in full set, or one that remains in its original state that is in very mint condition but lacks box and paper?

For watches that are un-named/undated, it does add more "flavor" to pushing the sale faster. The advantage is mainly to give a potential buyer a more 'valid reason' to want to buy that piece versus one that is named and dated. From a buyer's perspective, firstly, he would still be the first owner of the watch since he could pen down his name on the un-named card/cert and date it if he wishes to. Secondly, if say the buyer decides to flip (re sell) the watch, he would not need to expose his name to the next buyer, and probably can get the watch sold faster for the same reasons.

This explains why some of us often replaced the original strap/bracelet of a new watch to keep it in good condition, so that if we decide to re sell the watch later, we can hope to secure a faster sale/higher value.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

- When purchasing a used watch, how much $ does having the complete set (i.e., card + box) add/or take away to the sale value?
      • for example, a used 6694 without box and papers can be sold for $1600. with box and papers, seller can price anything from $100 upwards. (cavet emptor - if both watches are of similar watch condition). with modern time pieces, a box can be bought in the region of 200-300. but not a rolex warranty card because of the serial number printed on it and hence cannot be duplicated. some buyers will want a warranty card because to the buyer it is one of the many ways to say the watch is real (not foolproof).

- When purchasing a higher end used watch(i.e. patek, AP), does purchasing one un-named/undated present an advantage to the buyer and add a few extra $$ to the seller or no difference?
      • most buyers are willing to pay more for an undated warranty paper/card because in an event if they need to fix the watch under warranty it is covered. this does not mean that the watch brand is not aware when the parts are made. for example, panerai have movement numbers and watch case serial. panerai will know when the movement and watch case is produced. so if someone brings in the watch say 10 years later to claim manufacturing defect, obviously something is not right somewhere. rolex also have movement numbers but not many rolex owners are aware. an un-named warranty paper/card wont add much value but potential buyers usually prefers one without hence willing to pay a slightly higher price.

A lot of people play up that their set's are un-named and undated, any advantages?
      • short answer - yes. what advantages? refer to the answers mentioned earlier.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Dated - yes for me. named - definitely no.

I feel that having an undated card can be useful in 3-4 years after owning the watch but any longer than that then i guess it won't serve much purpose.

Comment

I've heard....

For brands like PP, A.Lange, FP J.... when you purchase the watch new, your info gets back to their offices and gets stored into their database. Ie, for warranty purpose, for fan mail, watch updates, invitations etc...

So if you purchased the above pre-owned (named and dated to another person), then the above privileges not awarded to you, hence, affects the re-sale value?

thanks

Comment

the rolex AD in singapore will ask you to fill up the name and other relevant details including date on the card and this information gets send back to rolex main office for record purpose.

even if the watch is sold within the first 5 years currently purchased, the brand will still hold the warranty based on records stored in database.

Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
            I've heard....

For brands like PP, A.Lange, FP J.... when you purchase the watch new, your info gets back to their offices and gets stored into their database. Ie, for warranty purpose, for fan mail, watch updates, invitations etc...

So if you purchased the above pre-owned (named and dated to another person), then the above privileges not awarded to you, hence, affects the re-sale value?

thanks
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X