Teens arrested for beating up off-duty cop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teens arrested for beating up off-duty cop

SINGAPORE - He was off duty when he saw four teenagers smoking at a playground, and he chided them for it.

Senior Staff Sergeant (SSSG) Lim Lye Hock even told them he is a policeman.

But that did not stop the group from beating him up at a nearby block of flats on June 27 last year.

One of the teens, Sanjay Arvind Hoondal, claimed that SSSG Lim, 33, did not show them his warrant card, and that was why they ganged up on him.

In a district court yesterday, Sanjay and Mosadiq Agustino Musa, both unemployed, pleaded guilty to voluntary causing hurt to SSSG Lim, who had abrasions on all four limbs.

SSSG Lim was at the playground on the fourth floor of Tampines Mall shopping centre with his wife and children when he spotted Sanjay puffing away. This despite a sign nearby stating that doing so is prohibited.

The cop told the teen to stub out but his orders fell on deaf ears. Instead, two other members of the group asked SSSG Lim what he wanted.

The policeman then told the boys to wait while he notified the police of their actions. In his call, SSSG Lim said the youngsters had challenged him to a fight.

The group walked off shortly after this but SSSG Lim tailed them as he wanted to inform his colleagues of their whereabouts.

When they reached the void deck of nearby Block 418, Mosadiq asked the cop what he wanted. Another member of the group, Muhammad Fazly Shadub then allegedly shoved SSSG Lim in the chest and a scuffle broke out.

The boys rained blows onto SSSG Lim, stopping only when they heard somebody shouting that police officers were in the vicinity.

All four were arrested after investigations were launched after the assault.

Sanjay and Mosadiq will be sentenced on Jan 27.

Another co-accused, Marcus Jasveer Sandhu, had pleaded guilty on Dec 30 and will be sentenced on Jan 20. Fazly will be dealt with separately.

If convicted, the teenagers could each be jailed a maximum of two years and fined a maximum of $5,000.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

i think the excuse the teens gave is really dumb. tells just how stupid they are in the first place

"One of the teens, Sanjay Arvind Hoondal, claimed that SSSG Lim, 33, did not show them his warrant card, and that was why they ganged up on him.
    "

its tells the judge what are in their pea sized brains -> That they will whack anyone who is not a police man/or officer, and that it is correct for them to do so
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i understand that when you identify yourself as a police officer, you need to show identification.

if everyone can just say im police officer without showing identification. then i also can go around saying im one what. i dont think the excuse give was silly. what i find strange is that in the report, why is that they never mentioned why did the off duty police officer not show his identification?

without an identification, how is one to know you not impersonating?

in the end, it is rightfully being charged as assault. not assaulting a police officer. if charged for assaulting police officer, then jialat liao.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

off duty police officer = ordinary citizen. therefore charge with assault not assaulting a public officer.

anyhow, i have very low respect for the men in blue, some of them seriously have attitude problems, and act like school yard bullies.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Those children stealing the money for the charity thread a few days a go and now these 3 hoodlums, seems PAP is dropping the ball and letting things get out of hand, those fellas better start cracking the whip and get the youth there sorted out thus they can keep control of the Lion City.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            i understand that when you identify yourself as a police officer, you need to show identification.

if everyone can just say im police officer without showing identification. then i also can go around saying im one what. i dont think the excuse give was silly. what i find strange is that in the report, why is that they never mentioned why did the off duty police officer not show his identification?

without an identification, how is one to know you not impersonating?

in the end, it is rightfully being charged as assault. not assaulting a police officer. if charged for assaulting police officer, then jialat liao.
            That wasnt my point. I am refering to the fact that that teen mentioned he dint see papers thats why gang up on him. So meaning if it wasnt a policman and its just someone telling them to stop smoking at a no smoking zone then its right to gang up on that person?

The guy was not saying he is a police officer n wanna do search or ask them give him things or wanna enter their house. If it was, then i think the excuse is valid. Else, does it mean its ok to gang up on someone like that?

But ok la. Some will feel its correct. No issues cos views are subjective
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

send these idiots to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                off duty police officer = ordinary citizen. therefore charge with assault not assaulting a public officer.

anyhow, i have very low respect for the men in blue, some of them seriously have attitude problems, and act like school yard bullies.

agree with point 1. but it is still assult so those idiots sure kanna. they can count themselves lucky if they are charged with assaulting member of the public and not a public servant.

90% agree. yah most men in blue are not great ppl anyway. that y they know where to catch the other bad guys haha. only a handful are good. that the older generation cops. dono about now standard haha.

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post

sorry double post.

Comment

hahaha...true lar..it takes a 'gangster' to catch another....lol...whether is licensed or not is two diff issues...hahahaha
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X