Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying guide : LCD TV

Hi brothers...

Considering dumping my old 39" (I think) CRT SONY TV for a new LCD TV...

Any experts here can share your technical expertise on which BRAND and MODEL offers the best value for $$ vs Technical Specs?

Am looking for a 37" or 42".

A HN salesman kept pushing / promoting JVC claiming it has the BEST display, NO shadow (trailing black images) and award winning.. He compared it with SONY, SAMSUNG, PANASONIC. Is this true?

Thank ya all!!!

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

spend some time scouting around like the electrical store @ liang court. dunno what the name is. besides, there are many places selling LCD TV @ cheaper price compared to HN.

also i suggest dont get something that state of the art, this is because technology changes very fast, in few years time, what u buy now can be obsolete liao.

im using a taiwanes brand called chimei. so far no problem.

brands i considered before, samsung, sony, panasonic, hitachi, jvc.

personally need to consider the brightness and the warranty on dead pixels. get them to define what is dead pixels. different brands define differently.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Was browsing at HN cos there is one near where I live... Won't buy from them for sure...

Wah.. CHIMEI?? Where did you get that from? Good quality?

Another qn.. is HD-READY and FULL HD important when I am not gona get a Blu-ray recorder/player or NOT intending to subscribe to MIO??? (I think a HD-READY good enuff right??)

Cheers!

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

oic. i bought mine in bedok. if u isolate liao, got the price, can go down with u.

i say decent quality. no complaints.

think in ur case, HD- ready can liao. but need to check the difference in price when comes to HD ready and full HD. if price diff <400. can spend lor.

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
        Was browsing at HN cos there is one near where I live... Won't buy from them for sure...

Wah.. CHIMEI?? Where did you get that from? Good quality?

Another qn.. is HD-READY and FULL HD important when I am not gona get a Blu-ray recorder/player or NOT intending to subscribe to MIO??? (I think a HD-READY good enuff right??)

Cheers!
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

get samsung m8 series quality is better than the rest .
          1675/16610/116234/78240
          Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
          Hublot BB ASF
          PAM 104J
          Sinn 903 H2
          Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
          U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
          If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

Bro MG... M8 series better in what sense? Price reasonable or steep?

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

The main concern with lcd is the black uniformlity which is not so obvious on this model .

You go HN and compare the same black scene with the different brands .
              1675/16610/116234/78240
              Hublot BB ASF
              PAM 104J
              Sinn 903 H2
              Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
              If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239...9274994,00.htm
                1675/16610/116234/78240
                Hublot BB ASF
                PAM 104J
                Sinn 903 H2
                Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW

Comment

jazz, yup, try audio house at liang court.

am using a 42 toshiba, not too bad. i think 37 a little small ( esp whn u change screen to norm size instead of wide ).

Comment

Originally posted by marineguy8888 View Post
                    get samsung m8 series quality is better than the rest .
                    I personally like the design of the Samsungs though I havent seriously gone to compare the picture quality with other brands.

btw, jazz_samz, some things to note,
                    1) Actually Samsung and Sony uses the same panel (different engine inside). No 42inch full HD, only got 40 and I think jump to 46, 50 etc.

2) Similarly, LG and Philips uses same panel. This one got 42inch.

3) Looks out for what type of surface you want for the panel. Samsung M8 is glossy screen I think. So if you TV position got alot of reflections of lighting, windows etc, can be quite irritating. The N8, is matte but soft screen (like laptop screen, dont know how to describe, try press your finger on laptop screen and you'll know what I trying to say.). The philips and LG panel are Matte and hard type.

4) Like what MG mention, compare the dark scenes. Bright scenes, sometimes cant tell the diff between HD ready and Full HD man. But dark scenes makes all the difference. ( For dark scenes- I love the Pioneer Kuros. The blackness of night sky is very 3D, but thats plasma )

5) Do you need built in HD set up box to receive HD5, and other HD channels from mediacorp? or you prefer watching EPL on HD? or you subscribe to MioTV? The starhub box and the mediacorps box is different.

6) They often come bundled with "free gifts". knnz, price included inside one la haha. The free gifts can be a 5.1 home theatre set, a smaller 22" or 26" or even 32" LCD TV, extended warranty, or others. If you don't want all the free gifts, price will be cheaper. Can negotiate one, even at Harvey Norman or Best Denki. But I didn't bought my old plasma from them the last time. Like what Triton mentioned, you can get better price at other places. I bought from a shop in Alexandra Village, forgot the name liow.

For more info... you can visit www.xtremeplace.com , there are many home theatre fanatics there. . be careful, you might be poisoned into buying a Full HD projector instead.
                    Last edited by bEnd1ck; 19-04-08, 02:08 AM.
                    Submariner 14060
                    Breitling Colt Auto II
                    Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                    Bell & Ross BR03-92
                    MM20

Comment

Originally posted by bEnd1ck View Post
                      For more info... you can visit www.xtremeplace.com , there are many home theatre fanatics there. . be careful, you might be poisoned into buying a Full HD projector instead.
                      this is why i tell my friends, forums are a no go to zone unless u prepared to cough out more money.

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

Hahaha....My dad also thinking of changing to a LCD 1 soon,still using a gd old CRT LOL. But he say wait till spoil then buy so bo pian haha.

Went down to check out the LCD tvs sometime back for fun,so far we prefer samsung,the colour/image is somehow better than other brands. I think my family looking for a 37,40 or 42.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                          Hahaha....My dad also thinking of changing to a LCD 1 soon,still using a gd old CRT LOL. But he say wait till spoil then buy so bo pian haha.

Went down to check out the LCD tvs sometime back for fun,so far we prefer samsung,the colour/image is somehow better than other brands. I think my family looking for a 37,40 or 42.
                          for me i think can get up to 50"

my dad bought the LG lcd full HD, but no HD tuner. and bring to perth.

my crt tv is spoil, repaired and spoil again, so buy new one
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

haha.. same here la..wife say wait for the old CRT kaput first then buy... wait wait wait.. now 8yr old liao still going strong.. no complain from me coz i use the $ to buy rolex...

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Comment

haha... Pingpong... Same here... Wantd to change 2yrs back... Wait and wait... Crt still going strong... Well... Since it performs well, never change bek then = save money cos its cheaper nw...
                              I got a free 32 inch LCD sony from signing up with Singtel 1yr bek... Thinkg of using tat 1st then see hw... But i agree the samsung looks good... If decide to get it, will move the 32" to my other rm or parents plc...

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
                              - GMT IIc TT
                              - U1
                              - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X