No announcement yet.

Brand new or pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is very personal; a 'religion', as someone here told me. I prefer new ones but do not mind pre-own if I know at least, who the owner is. I have seen how some people abused their watches, and done intentionally sometimes, in front of me.. . I had seen a ROLEX watch taken out of the wrist of a decomposed body, and it being auctioned off subsequently.

But of course, there are still many (like most of us here) who treat their watches well and good. If I can find and know of anyone who treasures his watch like I do, I really do not mind buying from him.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      .. I had seen a ROLEX watch taken out of the wrist of a decomposed body, and it being auctioned off subsequently.
      wah serious ah!! i don mind spending an hour to read if you are willing to type out this story sia...sounds horrible to do that to a deceased, assuming don have permission
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        I prefer new ones but do not mind pre-own if I know at least, who the owner is.
        Unless you are buying from people you know very well, as it is not uncommon that the seller pretend to be the first owner when he is maybe the 5th owner, because there is a common perception that lesser owners mean watch is better taken care of.

That is speaking from experience - I just bought a preowned watch last week from a bro in this forum who claim he is the first owner, but I later found out that he bought it a month ago from another seller in the same forum - not a problem for me 'cos what matters is the condition of the watch, but just don't understand why want to bluff lor.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

hehehehe..1st owner more higher price?hehehe....lol...how many owner not a matter to me...as long watch is swee swee condition can liao
          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

i believe thats the general perception la, 1st owner = lesser abuse = better condition

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
            hehehehe..1st owner more higher price?hehehe....lol...how many owner not a matter to me...as long watch is swee swee condition can liao

Comment

LOL....i tink if the person with that perception see the way how my manager treat his M series Datejust , he or she sure change that point of view pretty fast...lol

Comment

my religion is BNIB whenever possible. this means if the watch is currently in production i will get it. as i dont buy and sell watches. to me a BNIB watch is ok. those who buy and sell would prefer to get preown in good condition because the bulk of depreciation has been absorbed by the first owner.

however, 3-4 years back, there was the black card day @ takashimaya. this would mean whatever purchase made on that day, you have an additional of 10% discount. so for those people who managed to buy watches then, they would have save quite a fair bit. say sinn watch, you managed to get 30% off the list, you get another 10% off.

so most important is you need to set a budget. with this then you can determine if the watch you want to get can come BNIB or preown.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Now i know why Daywalker's watches SELL !!!

Condition am sure is good and the watch have good owner history too.

*he like MIA awhile, guess he is busy when market run up.

Comment

New I buy, pre own I also buy. No prejudice as long as I like what I see and find it worth the price I have to pay. Mentally, must know that new sure dep more....just like car.

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                      wah serious ah!! i don mind spending an hour to read if you are willing to type out this story sia...sounds horrible to do that to a deceased, assuming don have permission
                      I can't really give the details but I happened to be at the place where the body was discovered. There was a ROLEX watch on the wrist but I can't recall which classic model exactly. Looked quite bling. It was a Police case so the Police took possession of the watch and since no one came to claim it, it was auctioned off. I wonder who might be the 'lucky' buyer.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                      Unless you are buying from people you know very well, as it is not uncommon that the seller pretend to be the first owner when he is maybe the 5th owner, because there is a common perception that lesser owners mean watch is better taken care of.

That is speaking from experience - I just bought a preowned watch last week from a bro in this forum who claim he is the first owner, but I later found out that he bought it a month ago from another seller in the same forum - not a problem for me 'cos what matters is the condition of the watch, but just don't understand why want to bluff lor.
                      That's why I say to buy from someone I know, which means, someone I can trust. If he tells me he is the first and only owner, I believe he is.

Originally posted by k83 View Post
                      i believe thats the general perception la, 1st owner = lesser abuse = better condition
                      And that is not wrong.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by k83 View Post
                        i do have a friend whos rather superstitous and will never buy any pre own watch, as he has the mentality that people only sell their watch fr bad reasons, thus he afraid he will inherit bad luck from pre own watches
                        so your friend's galfriend is brand new and not someone's ex? haahaa...kidding...
                        I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                        A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                        Audemars Piguet ROO
                        Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                        De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                        Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                        IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                        Panerai 270
                        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                        Rolex 116610LV
                        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

its actually my galfrd's husband, whether he was someone ex i dunno, haha

Comment

[QUOTE=Oceanklassik;328652]I can't really give the details but I happened to be at the place where the body was discovered. There was a ROLEX watch on the wrist but I can't recall which classic model exactly. Looked quite bling. It was a Police case so the Police took possession of the watch and since no one came to claim it, it was auctioned off. I wonder who might be the 'lucky' buyer.

Yikes! That's one reason to refrain from auctions.
                            That said, I recall that Dr. Bernard Cheong once commented, "Buy new, buy used but always buy you."
                            Sweet 16:
                            PP Aquanaut
                            VC Overseas
                            AP ROO Black Themes
                            A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                            Breguet Type XXI
                            Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                            JLC Navy Seals
                            GO Senator 60s
                            GP Laureato
                            Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                            Rolex DSSD
                            IWC Big Pilot
                            Pam 112
                            Omega Ploprof
                            Breitling Super Avenger
                            Glycine F104

Comment

My point is not about auctions. It's about some people's concerns over getting pre-own watches, are not unfounded. It doesn't matter if the watch is bought from an auction. Won't the buyer later sell it elsewhere, like to shops and even online ?!
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hehehe...i tink as the saying goes....Each to his/her own....comfortable then buy...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X