ETA increases prices by 12% in 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETA increases prices by 12% in 2009

learned this from other forum. Dunno what will be the impact to watch prices. Theoretically it should not have big impact to total costs. Let say ETA movements costs around USD 100-300 per movement, the increase would be marginal. But if other suppliers, such as casing manufacturers, etc follow or use this as excuse to increase prices, the impact might be big. But I think today watch companies watch carefully their prices. If overpriced, buyers have the option to walk away.
    [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
    [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
    [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
    [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
    [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
    [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Thanks for sharing. I guess there is always the Asian movement option.

It's about time that people from the West start looking at the East for solutions. I am looking forward to the day when the Western brands starts using Asian movements. It will bring down costs and make the watches more affordable to the general masses.

Comment

it is not unexpected. this is because since swatch announce that they will put their name on the movement itself, most watch manufacturers have little choice but to do their own movement.

understand that when they say BY 12%, it is the minimum. anyway, i have already shared with some of our members here that the price will continue to go up till the year 2011/2 and the price should taper off.

prior to swatch insisting their name on movements, most manufacturer can just go to swatch and get the movement. now, by making their own movements, this would mean so many watch manufacturers will compete with the same pool of raw materials as to one manufacturer primarily. as such, i would expect price to go up even further northwards.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

IMHO... I think watch prices are coming to a crazy level. Yearly price increases are anywhere from 5% to 20+%. I really don't think its sustainable where manufacturers are chasing the same money.

If one look at prices for the last couple of years... its like a bubble. And one day, it will burst. Just like every bubble...
        The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Originally posted by wind128 View Post
          Thanks for sharing. I guess there is always the Asian movement option.

It's about time that people from the West start looking at the East for solutions. I am looking forward to the day when the Western brands starts using Asian movements. It will bring down costs and make the watches more affordable to the general masses.
          as much as east can give good affordable movements, the west (esp swiss) will not use it.

reasons as follows
          a) local industries - they would rather keep the smaller watch parts manufacturers in play
          b) "prestige". a customer would rather a swiss made watch over a swiss watch with its movement sourced outside of switzerland.
          c) costs - the cost currently to make a hairspring (based on what i have heard) in switzerland or china is about the same. in most cases, the machinery will be about the same, the other factor is the cost of available land.
          d) given that the west does buy mov'ts to use, they will not reduce their price, marely, you are just increasing the companies profit.

all the above is my A$0.02 and you are more than welcome to have your own opinions.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X