Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz or Mechanical

Good day Ladies & Gents

I need your advice and comments on this, I've got a friend who contacted me to seek advice on sourcing a watch's price, I gladly obliged, but the portion that bothers me is that he INSISTS of getting a Quartz instead of a mechanical watch (or automatic), he wants to get a Tag Heuer Aqua Racer or a F1 series.

I explained to him that the money "invested" into the quartz series doesn't weigh with the quality nor workmanship of the watch, in an addition to that, I tried to persuade him to read more on Haute Horology before committing to any but he just turn a deaf ear.

Gents & ladies, am I wrong to say the above??
    I will accept positive and negative feedback and comments.

Thank you
    Wish List

Tag Heuer - Carrera Automatic Chronograph Tachymetre
    Maurice Lacroix - Pontos D�centrique GMT
    Baume & Mercier - Classima Executives Contemporary
    Ball Watch Company- Engineer Master II Diver TMT, Fireman Night Train, Fireman Skylab
    Zenith - Chronomaster Open Grande Date
    Bell & Ross - BR 03-92 Carbon
    Longines - Evidenza Automatic
    Omega - Seamaster Planet Ocean Big Size, Speedmaster professional
    Tissot - T-Touch Polished Titanium
    And too many others to mention...

it just shows how much he likes the watch.

sometimes it is not just the resale value we have to consider. it is the liking for the watch. a friend of mine says he will not buy a rolex. it has been 4 years already. he has yet to own one. so rolex has a decent resale value for some of the sports models, but he still does not like the brand or any other models.

some of the forum members here know that i swear off breitling watches because they upgrade their design for too quickly which makes the watch virtually with little or no resale value.

i have the breitling aerospace bought in 1990 i think. today i still like the watch because
    it has both digital anal analog time display.
    it has a rotating bezel.
    it has day date functions.
    it has a second time zone.
    it has a chronograph aka stop watch function.
    it has a timer countdown.
    it has a alarm.

so many functions using just a single crown for controlling. does it make a special watch? yes to me. i still sent it for servicing despite me not wearing the watch.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by missing_hh View Post
      Good day Ladies & Gents

I need your advice and comments on this, I've got a friend who contacted me to seek advice on sourcing a watch's price, I gladly obliged, but the portion that bothers me is that he INSISTS of getting a Quartz instead of a mechanical watch (or automatic), he wants to get a Tag Heuer Aqua Racer or a F1 series.

I explained to him that the money "invested" into the quartz series doesn't weigh with the quality nor workmanship of the watch, in an addition to that, I tried to persuade him to read more on Haute Horology before committing to any but he just turn a deaf ear.
      This is personal preference...

If he like...then you guide him along his search for wad he wants...you can recommend anything to him along the way...but he doesnt want to listen dun force him.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        it just shows how much he likes the watch.

sometimes it is not just the resale value we have to consider. it is the liking for the watch. a friend of mine says he will not buy a rolex. it has been 4 years already. he has yet to own one. so rolex has a decent resale value for some of the sports models, but he still does not like the brand or any other models.

some of the forum members here know that i swear off breitling watches because they upgrade their design for too quickly which makes the watch virtually with little or no resale value.

i have the breitling aerospace bought in 1990 i think. today i still like the watch because
        it has both digital anal analog time display.
        it has a rotating bezel.
        it has day date functions.
        it has a second time zone.
        it has a chronograph aka stop watch function.
        it has a timer countdown.
        it has a alarm.

so many functions using just a single crown for controlling. does it make a special watch? yes to me. i still sent it for servicing despite me not wearing the watch.
        My take on his ideology is that he just want to have "Fashion" watch. In general, people in Singapore who can appreciate a fine watch when they see one, are still a minority. He admits to me that he wanna "fool" the majority instead.

The reason why I was bothered is also because I had read from another watch forum that a Rolex's production cost to the retail cost is an astonishing 400%. If a mechanical watch is already that much? How many 100% folds I would expect from a Quartz when a chipboard may cost around then $10??

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
        This is personal preference...

If he like...then you guide him along his search for wad he wants...you can recommend anything to him along the way...but he doesnt want to listen dun force him.
        Of course, end of the day, I will still help him source for his watch.
        Wish List

Ball Watch Company- Engineer Master II Diver TMT, Fireman Night Train, Fireman Skylab

Comment

My take on his ideology is that he just want to have "Fashion" watch. In general, people in Singapore who can appreciate a fine watch when they see one, are still a minority. He admits to me that he wanna "fool" the majority instead.
          I have to admit I also got the Tag as a fashion watch...well I mean...just have 1 or 2 fashion watches to keep up with the trend and I still love my mechical pieces more than my quartz pieces.

The tag was just to cover up and dun make me look so uncle hahahaha

So just 1 or 2 is sufficient and we can move to the good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
            I have to admit I also got the Tag as a fashion watch...well I mean...just have 1 or 2 fashion watches to keep up with the trend and I still love my mechical pieces more than my quartz pieces.

The tag was just to cover up and dun make me look so uncle hahahaha

So just 1 or 2 is sufficient and we can move to the good stuff
            I understand where you are coming from, I would like to point out that at least, you will know how to justify your money when it comes to a purchasing a watch.

As what you mentioned,
            "So just 1 or 2 is sufficient and we can move to the good stuff "

What you mentioned are very true, but similar to children, from young, if we don't cultivate the correct things in them, when time comes, everything will sway.
            Wish List

Comment

I understand where you are coming from, I would like to point out that at least, you will know how to justify your money when it comes to a purchasing a watch.

As what you mentioned,
              "So just 1 or 2 is sufficient and we can move to the good stuff "

What you mentioned are very true, but similar to children, from young, if we don't cultivate the correct things in them, when time comes, everything will sway.
              ooh..Ok..I see what you mean now.

Comment

To each his own.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hmmm. i dun understand this 2 sided thing with mechanical and quartz watches. although i do own mechanical pieces, i just began reading up on quartz watches and they are indeed mechanical wonders by themselves. It's a common notion to think that quartz = cheap and bleah, but that isn't really true to me. Like for example, there are some quartz manufacturers like eta who have come up with thermocompensated quartz mechanisms that put reliability to within 10 secs a year! instead of the 15 secs a month in mechanical pieces. this isn't necessarily better but the technology and horological science is intriguing to me.

Watch collecting has two sides of the coin. the aesthetic groupies and the movement groupies, however, i believe its all in personal taste. just wanted to bring up the point that this quartz issue is a little stereotypical of humans and they are indeed little machines of horological genius.

john
                  Wishlist:
                  1. AP Grand Prix Carbon
                  2. Corum Bubble Skeleton
                  3. IWC Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar Rose Gold
                  4. Ulysses Nardin Freak Cruiser
                  5. Richard Mille RM 11 Rose Gold

(Dream only)

Comment

Originally posted by shima View Post
                    hmmm. i dun understand this 2 sided thing with mechanical and quartz watches. although i do own mechanical pieces, i just began reading up on quartz watches and they are indeed mechanical wonders by themselves. It's a common notion to think that quartz = cheap and bleah, but that isn't really true to me. Like for example, there are some quartz manufacturers like eta who have come up with thermocompensated quartz mechanisms that put reliability to within 10 secs a year! instead of the 15 secs a month in mechanical pieces. this isn't necessarily better but the technology and horological science is intriguing to me.

Watch collecting has two sides of the coin. the aesthetic groupies and the movement groupies, however, i believe its all in personal taste. just wanted to bring up the point that this quartz issue is a little stereotypical of humans and they are indeed little machines of horological genius.

john
                    No, I don't stereotype, it is dependent in which aspect you are looking at.

I agree that there some nice Quartz timepiece, I personally love the Tissot T-Touch and even Citizen's Eco-drive.

But what does a Quartz Aqua racer nor F1 series offer you? Do they offer you
                    thermocompensated quartz mechanisms as what you mention??

I don't mind paying 1.5K for
                    1) Compass
                    2) Barometer
                    3) Altimeter
                    4) Chronograph
                    5) Time (Digital / Analog)
                    6) Date

Yes, a T-touch for this case,

Compared to a 2.4K
                    Aqua racer Grande date which only have Chronograph Time (Analog) & Date
                    Wish List

Comment

well even some PP uses quartz movement.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X