Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Hobby

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to appreciating watches. I used to think these branded watches are far beyond my grabs until recently. I've been so-called 'poisoned' recently (about few weeks back) by a group of watch hobbyists. Since then have been scouting around for watches of brands such as IWC, TAGHeuer, Omega, ROLEX, Fortis, Sinn, BALL, etc...................

I'm now starting to realise that these watches are REALLY EXPENSIVE! Omg!! I am really new and lost in the world of precious time pieces. I hope someone here can help me to understand in more laymen terms. Eg. how do I compare brands in order of reputation, ie. which brand comes first; Patek Ppe-Jaeger LC-IWC-... And where does ROLEX stand in the world of WATCHES? It will be better if you can make the comparison against car brands, which I am better attune to. For example, ROLEX=Merc? Patek=Ferrari? TAGH=Lexus?

Sorry if I sounded stupid but I was glad I found a forum like this to communicate with.

Thanks !

WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!!

Hahaha...enjoy your poison...

IMO...

Lambo = Patek >
    Ferrari = Franck Muller > Beyond the reach of most working ppl

Merc = Rolex...The 2 most respected brands by asians,often owned by towkays

Tag,Omega = Lexus,there are the grp that's trying hard to be like Merc but cannot be as gd as Merc...

many many more..I can never end la...but all in all..most of them are good watches! ENJOY!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Yep.... dun really bother much abt the brand la....

First thing is.. u sld love the design of the watch.. then hoot liaos...

Brand only comes into play if u plan to 'show' them off.. or for resale value..
      A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

welcome, i think individual lah...

other thn brands, i think sometimes also price pt. me prefer watches between 2 to 5k, most of them ard this range ( abt 50% ). resale value, never think abt it.

Comment

I always look out for resale la...just in case need cash

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
            I always look out for resale la...just in case need cash
            Agreed. Resale value of a watch shld always be taken into consideration
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by WatchME View Post
              Hi all,

I'm a newbie to appreciating watches. I used to think these branded watches are far beyond my grabs until recently. I've been so-called 'poisoned' recently (about few weeks back) by a group of watch hobbyists. Since then have been scouting around for watches of brands such as IWC, TAGHeuer, Omega, ROLEX, Fortis, Sinn, BALL, etc...................

I'm now starting to realise that these watches are REALLY EXPENSIVE! Omg!! I am really new and lost in the world of precious time pieces. I hope someone here can help me to understand in more laymen terms. Eg. how do I compare brands in order of reputation, ie. which brand comes first; Patek Ppe-Jaeger LC-IWC-... And where does ROLEX stand in the world of WATCHES? It will be better if you can make the comparison against car brands, which I am better attune to. For example, ROLEX=Merc? Patek=Ferrari? TAGH=Lexus?

Sorry if I sounded stupid but I was glad I found a forum like this to communicate with.

Thanks !

Bro, to answer to some of your queries, you may want to read this link. Very informative!

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

Comment

i would not try to associate watches to brands of cars.

first of all, when you start this watch hobby, u will probably buy watches that you like. initially you may start with low budget then progressive increasing.

take for example a sinn regulateur compared to a IWC regulateur. both are regulateur where the base movements is same. however, watch makers like sinn and IWC will tweak it differently.

say for rolex, you have under 5K such as normal air king. if u have 10k, u can probably look @ the submariner date and sea dweller, if u have more than 10k, u can get more selections.

some commented that resale value is important, however, if u want to buy watches to trade in future, then u have to do more homework on your own.

for me one of the important criteria about buying watches is value for money. if pay too high a price, then resale value is affected. this is because you would have paid a higher price and you might lose money when u trade/sell
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

ya loh, if wnt to buy/ sell thn resale important. guess it's more of a hobby ( collecting watches ) thn actual investment. If as investment, i think other commodity make better return thn watches.

Comment

Another informative link/article to share.

http://blog.dyddy.com/html/blog4/35690_1.html
                    Rolex Explorer II Black

Ball Fireman Skylab II L.E.

Comment

Originally posted by ginman View Post
                      Another informative link/article to share.

http://blog.dyddy.com/html/blog4/35690_1.html
                      Bro, I think it has been deleted?

Comment

yeah, the site has been removed.

Comment

yeah for me, i like i buy but of cos if need to pay too much den forget it i buy bag better

For me, I must like the watch I dun care so much abt brand but must look nice on me and must "sort" me den i will buy. So now i have not have a single up market watch :P

my most ex pc is seiko

Comment

Originally posted by egstring View Post
                            yeah for me, i like i buy but of cos if need to pay too much den forget it i buy bag better

For me, I must like the watch I dun care so much abt brand but must look nice on me and must "sort" me den i will buy. So now i have not have a single up market watch :P

my most ex pc is seiko
                            seiko can be very ex leh...

u will like jp, the preown shop alot of bags 1...

Comment

Originally posted by 3xtra View Post
                              yeah, the site has been removed.

sorry guys, the link was still working when I visited yesterday. If still interested, I've found another duplicated site.

http://www2.uuzone.com/blog/skaabb/31017.htm

http://www.iwatch365.net/archiver/?tid-15938965.html <- this one is new!
                              Rolex Explorer II Black

Ball Fireman Skylab II L.E.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X