Vintage vs Modern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage vs Modern

Just out of curiosity...i've noticed some members here who own both vintage and modern pieces...i still dunno how to appreciate vintage pieces...

i was wondering...

1. what prompted/attracted you to buy vintage watches?
    2. what occasions will you wear the vintage and modern ones? are they mostly "white elephants" because our dressing are more "modernize" now? how often do you wear them?

cheers

james
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

as mentioned, a vintage takes time for one to learn to appreciate. currently im into 6694. a standard workhorse movement watch which withstood the test of time. durable and reliable. clean simple dial. just a date.

i do not go all out to find a vintage beyond 3k budget. as i find that they are over priced. i mean vintage collection is not just about the watch itself but its warranty papers and boxes as well. we can see how far the box design has changed through the years. the papers becoming warranty cards now. more importantly where was the watch bought. like one of the warranty papers indicated SAF Enterprises Pte Ltd. it is not just a rolex history piece but also part of singapore history. companies that were available back then still is around. service papers.

though the case has signs of corrision, i do not change them as it would mean no more papers. yes, i cant take it for swimming etc. but do u take the modern submariner to dive? not many of us would.

i wear then as daily beaters. as of when i like, i wear them. no special occasion. most importantly it is you the owner of watch who appreciates such time pieces. other who do not appreciate them is not a factor.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
      as mentioned, a vintage takes time for one to learn to appreciate. currently im into 6694. a standard workhorse movement watch which withstood the test of time. durable and reliable. clean simple dial. just a date.

i do not go all out to find a vintage beyond 3k budget. as i find that they are over priced. i mean vintage collection is not just about the watch itself but its warranty papers and boxes as well. we can see how far the box design has changed through the years. the papers becoming warranty cards now. more importantly where was the watch bought. like one of the warranty papers indicated SAF Enterprises Pte Ltd. it is not just a rolex history piece but also part of singapore history. companies that were available back then still is around. service papers.

though the case has signs of corrision, i do not change them as it would mean no more papers. yes, i cant take it for swimming etc. but do u take the modern submariner to dive? not many of us would.

i wear then as daily beaters. as of when i like, i wear them. no special occasion. most importantly it is you the owner of watch who appreciates such time pieces. other who do not appreciate them is not a factor.
      BINGO !!!!! Well said bro !
      *** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Cannot really make any comments about vintage, as I am just an amateur in this watch hobby ... however what I can defintely say is that when i saw a series of 6694s being posted the other time (Sunzhi's I think), i really appreciate and admire the beauty of them... wishing if I could own just one piece....

Whatever it is, there is one thing I can say for sure.. me ain't going to take any of my watches for swimming/diving... or for that matter in contact with H2O.. Bros... everyone agrees with this statement???

Comment

Originally posted by cedric View Post
          Whatever it is, there is one thing I can say for sure.. me ain't going to take any of my watches for swimming/diving... or for that matter in contact with H2O.. Bros... everyone agrees with this statement???
          Huh??? Rolex Professional Series u know...I wash my bracelet watches with gentle facial foam

My daily wear (Omega Seamaster)...water & soap almost daily...it's Seamaster right...so wats a little soap & tap water... But it's full of hairline & other scratches already....& who knows, mayb you'll have the last laugh when mine's no longer water tight

Comment

Originally posted by Ballwatch View Post
            Huh??? Rolex Professional Series u know...I wash my bracelet watches with gentle facial foam

My daily wear (Omega Seamaster)...water & soap almost daily...it's Seamaster right...so wats a little soap & tap water... But it's full of hairline & other scratches already....& who knows, mayb you'll have the last laugh when mine's no longer water tight
            Paiseh Paiseh... my earlier post not clear... what I meant is having my watch under running water.....washing bracelet is ok... but for me, I will probably be remove the bracelet first, it, before washing it...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X