5 Kopi-Talk Awards (Watch Brands)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Kopi-Talk Awards (Watch Brands)

I have read quite a bit of watch magazines and very often the journalists share their views of what they think the best models or best brands are in the different categories. While some of these articles actually make some sense (cos I happened to have those watches/brands ), most of them are craps. Sometimes I wonder if they received watches for free or at a ridiculous discount for writing what they were writing.

So I am going to create my own awards and name them the Kopi-Talk Awards. After some discussions and debates with myself, I am glad to announce the winners:

Most Stylish – Panerai

The design of a watch created during pre WWII for the Italian navy is the most stylish today. It proves once again that simplicity is beauty. Panerai almost single-handedly changed the definition of what the “right size” of a wrist watch is for many people. These oversize watches do not actually fit well on most wrists but have the magical power of making egoistic males feel as macho as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

Okay, Panerai (or Richemont) tries very hard to elevate its brand status and justify its hefty price list by churning out the manufactura movements, but I suspect most of us would prefer a cut-price 372 with ETA movement.

Yes, Panerai is all about look & style, and we men want to be stylish don’t we?

Most Successful – Rolex

Since watches are commercial goods not art pieces (though the manufacturers try to mislead us into believing that they are), a brand has to sell to be considered successful. But selling in volume alone doesn’t make a brand successful. Selling a lot with continuously high and unassailable market share and high margin, does. It is amazing how Rolex manages to produce and sell its watches in mass and yet remains as one of the most desirable high-end brands for most folks.

Did I mention the profits racked up by its service centers?

Most Reliable – Seiko

Rolex avid would argue that the swiss movements in Rolex are the most reliable. Well, maybe yes, but how many different type of movements does Rolex have in their current line-up? Seiko offer watches ranging from 200 to thousands of dollars that cater to everyone. The word Seiko represents the quality and reliability that Japanese products are long accustomed to. Such quality and reliability have not been compromised by the outsourcing of production of some of its mid/low end models, and allow Seiko to continue to supply value-for-money watches for all needs.

Besides mechanical watches, Seiko has dedicated significant resources in the development and manufacturing of quartz and kinetic watches to cater to those who appreciate convenience and accuracy.

So, you can rely on Seiko for quality no matter which options you go for.

Most Prestige - Patek Philippe

You might challenge my decision on the other awards but surely this one is undisputable. Patek Philippe is not the first to produce wrist watches but it holds many patents and has created some of the most desirable watches for the rich and famous. Anyone who is into watches knows that Patek Philippe watches have always been among the most sought after by collectors in every watch auction.

When you buy a new Patek Philippe to mark a milestone in your life, you know you have arrived. That is, provided you aren’t worried about the servicing cost.

Overall Best – Jaeger-LeCoultre

I am bias so I have to give an award to my favorite brand, and “overall best” is the most grey expression I could think of in case I get too many sticks for this.

Jaeger-LeCoultre is a brand with very interesting heritage, but is most notable in its extraordinary record for research and invention that benefits the horological industry as a whole. In the early 1900s, Jaeger-LeCoultre manufactured parts for Patek Philippe, Cartier and Omega, and in the modern days supplies raw movements to leading names in the industry: Audemars Piguet, Chopard, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin, IWC and Panerai. (Note: This whole paragraph about JLC is extracted from the book “The Classisc Watch” by Michael Balfour).

Today, Jaeger-LeCoultre is a brand that has the most in-house movements, as well as a product line-up that covers every genre, including clocks, all crafted with design and horological excellence. The reason it isn’t more popular than IWC is that its most iconic models are rectangular watches that are unfortunately a bit out-dated.

If you want a true watch and find the Patek Philippe too high to reach, look to Jaeger-LeCoultre. Put on one of those Jaeger-LeCoultre dress watches and it immediately exudes sophistication and elegance on you. Just make sure you pronounce the brand name properly when asked.

That is it, my friends. There are probably few more other brands that worth mentioning here, but I will stop at 5 to be consistent with my past nonsense. But I wouldn’t mind if you name your own awards and winners.
    Last edited by pegasi; 19-10-12, 11:13 PM.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

I can't really argue with the list, except unless the list is for mechanical watches only, else most reliable maybe Casio G-Shock. Else we can always add one more - Most "knock-able" - Casio G-Shock.

Comment

Originally posted by cedric View Post
      I can't really argue with the list, except unless the list is for mechanical watches only, else most reliable maybe Casio G-Shock. Else we can always add one more - Most "knock-able" - Casio G-Shock.
      Casio was one of the nominees for the Most Reliable award because of its G-Shock. However, since all the awards are meant for brands not particular models or series, and the rest of Casio's models aren't very impression, the award was given to Seiko.
      Last edited by pegasi; 20-10-12, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
        Casio was one of the nominees for the Most Reliable award because of its G-Shock. However, since all the awards are meant for brands not particular models or series, and the rest of Casio's models aren't very impression, the award was given to Seiko.
        Well, definitely can't argue against a Seiko, definitely deserve a mention of of Most "Value-for-money" or Most Affordable Mechanical

Comment

excellent write up. can't help but to agree!
          I don't need another watch.

Comment

Nice read. Tx dude
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

thank you for writing this award list for a weekend read. i will however disagree with one of the awards given. i shall not name which award as i dont want this thread to end up in flamming war.

i would like to nominate most innovative award to the list. would you like to add? if there is a candidate, there is a toss up between several brands. my award will go to urwerk.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                thank you for writing this award list for a weekend read. i will however disagree with one of the awards given. i shall not name which award as i dont want this thread to end up in flamming war.
                You are welcome. I think I know which one you are referring to. I believe it is ok for everyone to express in such forum their personal views on the different brands and models so long it does not involve criticising people who support certain brands. It is an opportunity for us to learn more about brands that we didn't know or think a lot about, as well as to learn to respect other people's choice.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  i would like to nominate most innovative award to the list. would you like to add? if there is a candidate, there is a toss up between several brands. my award will go to urwerk.
                  I knew you were going to come up with this, but thought I couldn't give an award to a brand I know very little about (plus I need to keep to 5). Anyway I can agree to it so here it goes...

Most Innovative - Urwerk

Comment

Good read bro. Thks.

Only the most reliable is hard to fix. I have my share of kaput Seikos and wont die Seikos.
                    Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                      Good read bro. Thks.

Only the most reliable is hard to fix. I have my share of kaput Seikos and wont die Seikos.
                      Thanks for sharing your experience with Seiko. I am interested to know/learn more, such as which are the kaput ones and which are the wont die ones.

Comment

Always enjoy reading your "nonsense"...

Comment

Nice review, agreed!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...