X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAT refund in Europe

Hi

I have a question on claiming VAT refund in Europe ,
    If I buy my watch or bag in Italy, and fly back from Zurich, can I claim my VAT refund in Zurich airport for my purchases in Italy?

Hope to hear from those who have experience in these issues.

Thank in advance

There are two ways I understand.

One is you sign the papers and claim at departure in Airport. There is a small processing fee involved.

Another is do paperwork and send it from Singapore to merchant online or by post and they refund it back. No processing fee for this way.

Think it differs from different EU countries.
    TAG Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date 42 WAU1110.FT6024
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 42 MM 3573.50
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin 2788520
    Casio A168WA-1YES
    Hublot Chelsea Classic Fusion 521.NX.7119.LR.CFC16
    NOMOS Glashütte Tangente 139
    Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001

Comment

Originally posted by JWNY View Post
      There are two ways I understand.

One is you sign the papers and claim at departure in Airport. There is a small processing fee involved.

Another is do paperwork and send it from Singapore to merchant online or by post and they refund it back. No processing fee for this way.

Think it differs from different EU countries.
      For the 2nd way, depends on the merchant. Based on my experience, boutiques like hermes or chanel don't entertain this. The more established watch shops also don't do this.
      elusive

Comment

Originally posted by EZWish View Post
        Hi

I have a question on claiming VAT refund in Europe ,
        If I buy my watch or bag in Italy, and fly back from Zurich, can I claim my VAT refund in Zurich airport for my purchases in Italy?

Hope to hear from those who have experience in these issues.

Thank in advance
        The airport customs folks that stamp on your invoice or vat papers need to see a boarding pass for a flight leaving the EU. So as long as you have that, it's ok.
        elusive

Comment

I suggest u go to patrons with global blue logo, counters available at airport. Faster and less hassle. Other vat refund agents are slower and some dun even refund. If I remember well, u claim your VAT at Zurich or/and last airport out of Europe.
          Current babies:
          Sub 16610LN D series
          PAM 312 M series
          IWC 500112 Laureus Limited Edition

Wish list:
          116613LB?
          a good White dial watch

Comment

Switzerland is not part of the EU. If you buy anything in Italy you will need to have it stamped at the Italian customs prior to checking in. If you totally forget or are unable to get the stamp you will need to get an export validation stamp from the Italian consulate in Singapore. There will be an administration charge. Its best to arrive really early as there only a few customs officials at most airports.

Items that are bought in Switzerland will need to be presented at Swiss customs for the stamp. Most retailers use Global Blue throughout Europe.

Comment

Thanks All for the valuable info
              Will look into it

Have a good day to All

Comment

Originally posted by EZWish View Post
                Thanks All for the valuable info
                Will look into it

Have a good day to All
                Switzerland is not part of EU. You cannot claim tax for the things u bought in Italy. However since they are near, you can take train the boarder station such as konstanz to rebate your tax first and go back Swiss. Good luck. Happen to me when I go honeymoon and bought my gmt2 day night. First day honey moon in Italy and last day in Switzerland. Almost cannot claim tax. Decided to go Germany, take it as travel extra country to claim my tax

Comment

any recommendation on which EU country to get rolex from? or is getting in switzeland the best deal?
                  TIA

Comment

Need some advice here. 1 of the watch shop in rome told me that in order to get the 22% tax refund, i need to mail back the stamp copy to them after i exit EU. Is it true? Because the deal would be fantastic if its true. What worry is what if they do not return the tax refund to me. Any advise guys?

Comment

Some of the smaller retailers in Europe can apply for the refund on your behalf and often advertise in order to make their pricing more marketable. There is a problem in that method and it is related to their reliability to follow up the paperwork and obtain the refund and forward it to yourself. Even if they do all this they still charge a small commission and it will end up being the same as with going via Global Blue as your refund partner. They tend to take a lot of time as well.

Via a retailer who uses Global Blue or any recognised company to make the refund on your behalf ,is the most reliable and safest way to obtain it back.

Comment

Thanks for the advise bro. I think the shop calculated a 18% tax refund for the item. So i think this is how well we can trust the retailer. Anything that we can do at our end if the refund does not comes in?

Comment

It's pretty common amongst the smaller-scale ADs. You can try to negotiate to pay them the nett amount but hold a charge to your credit card for the 22%. When you send back the stamped invoice, they can release the manual hold.
                          elusive

Comment

Thanks bro for the prompt reply. I think this is the safest way to do it. But how do we get them to hold back the 22% charge on the cc? Do we call up our bank?

Comment

Originally posted by club View Post
                              Need some advice here. 1 of the watch shop in rome told me that in order to get the 22% tax refund, i need to mail back the stamp copy to them after i exit EU. Is it true? Because the deal would be fantastic if its true. What worry is what if they do not return the tax refund to me. Any advise guys?
                              If they are using Global Blue, once the form is stamped, u can get cash back minus off some administration charges.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X