VAT refund in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by praha335ci View Post
    Some of the smaller retailers in Europe can apply for the refund on your behalf and often advertise in order to make their pricing more marketable. There is a problem in that method and it is related to their reliability to follow up the paperwork and obtain the refund and forward it to yourself. Even if they do all this they still charge a small commission and it will end up being the same as with going via Global Blue as your refund partner. They tend to take a lot of time as well.

Via a retailer who uses Global Blue or any recognised company to make the refund on your behalf ,is the most reliable and safest way to obtain it back.
    The ironic thing is that so far, shops that do the inhouse full refund method have always refunded me without fail, but during the few times when using agent premier tax, they missed my claim once (I mailed my form and supporting at the airport cos the agent had a eur500 cap for on the spot refunds).
    elusive

Comment

From personal experience usually when I buy things in Europe I tend to buy at retailers who display the Global Blue sign outside. This way I can confidently be assured that I will get the VAT refund. On one of my trips through Greece as I walked into the a Rolex AD the vendor was trying to market the fact that he could get the full 24% back. He provided me a copy of the documentation and it looked extremely complicated and most of it was in Greek with a few English subtitles.

I also do know of people who bought watches of high value via smaller AD's with the hope of getting a bargain via the full VAT refund to only get totally disappointed as there are other charges applied which are not mentioned at the purchase point.

Its totally up to yourself if you want to take a chance then buy from a small AD ( which will most likely try to offload older series watches or not popular models). The safest way is to buy from a larger European dealer like Bucherer; Wempe; Watches of Swizerland or Rolex boutique. They all use Global blue and that way you're guaranteed that you will get the VAT refund back.

Comment

thks for the advice... in Swiss now.. the price from Bucherer seems more exp than in local SG...

Comment

% u get back depends. different shop to shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportswatch View Post
            thks for the advice... in Swiss now.. the price from Bucherer seems more exp than in local SG...
            It is often more expensive to buy in Swizterland due to their strong currency.
            My Humble Collection :
            PAM 320
            Rolex Submariner Ceramics
            Laco Pilot Type B Dial

Comment

Originally posted by club View Post
              Thanks bro for the prompt reply. I think this is the safest way to do it. But how do we get them to hold back the 22% charge on the cc? Do we call up our bank?
              Sorry I missed your question. The best way is for them to make a manual imprint of your credit card.
              elusive

Comment

Originally posted by tyongchi View Post
                It is often more expensive to buy in Swizterland due to their strong currency.
                Agreed... goin to other places to look again...

Comment

I just gotten my pam 512 at Barcelona ad at about 34% off the retail price.. Is it a very good deal? Inclusive of vat refund which they gave me upfront.

Comment

Yes you can claim from the airport. Quite fast as long you not going in as a tour.. you must fill in all personal info to gey refund.
                    no extra charge but since you going back singapore, most likely you will refund via credit card and might lose abit from exchange rates.

If you refund from italy (provided you flying back from euro country, swiss is not part of them), you can get the refund in cash and you can use those refund on next purchase.

Comment

so much great information here.

Comment

Make sure items u purchase with u.. Ie hand carry. They will ask..

Comment

Global Blue is the company that handles most of EU countries VAT refund.

The online calculator is most helpful on VAT refund amount calculated against purchase price.

Comment

Anyone know where the best place to get gmt2c batman, Paris, Milan or Zurich? And how much vat refund?

Comment

Based on €10K, Paris 12%, Milan 15%, Switzerland 6% using Global Blue.

Comment

Vat Refund is a breeze at Paris CDG airport.

1. Merchant issues Vat Refund receipt.
                                2. Fill in particulars on receipt.
                                3. Scan barcode on receipt at machine in CDG.
                                4. Go to counter and claim VAT refund in cash (major currencies available).
                                5. If refund to credit card, seal receipts in provided envelope and slot into post box next to the scanning machines.

Cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X