• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advisory : Traveling

some points to note :
    1. buy travel insurance
    2. staying connected
      • as more people are traveling overseas, most people need to get connected (data roam service). i wont recommend contacting your telco operator to enable data roam and subscribe to their data roam plans as it is getting more expensive. a cheaper alternative is getting a wifi device such as this.

when you are in the visiting country, purchase a data plan that suits your needs at the airport if possible. get the appropriate sim card type (normal, micro, nano). insert the sim card into the wifi device. the device will allow connection of multi devices (hp and tablets).

for general web surfing and what's app and if you are traveling for about 1 week, 1GB of data should be sufficient. if you should use it for accessing google maps then it might not be enough.

3. travel adapter
      • if you travel with a laptop, use it to charge your phone/tablets. this means you bring the usb cables is enough
      • bring a power bank (dual port)

4. basic first aid
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

I was in Japan recently. I used the portable wifi also. But some stretches in the suburbs while I was driving has no 3G reception , making the wifi redundant for long periods.

Once you hit the town centres coming from the suburbs, 3G will be back.

fyi

Comment

thanks for sharing. the intention is to inform others that buying a data plan in the visiting country is usually cheaper than data roam (singtel charges like $30/day). i was in switzerland recently for 6 days, it would have cost me $180 for 6 days of data roam by singtel. however in switzerland where i bought the data plan for ~$50, which is about one-third the price (180) i could surf and what's app. i save about $100.

Originally posted by polarinda View Post
      I was in Japan recently. I used the portable wifi also. But some stretches in the suburbs while I was driving has no 3G reception , making the wifi redundant for long periods.

Once you hit the town centres coming from the suburbs, 3G will be back.

fyi
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Yes to staying connected! So many things we can do and research with internet. I really like Japan's culture whereby their air bnb normally provide portable wifi. More countries should do that!

Comment

Travel Insurance

Hi all,
            If I am buying a travel package directly in Europe, shall i get my travel insurance in Singapore
            or Europe would be better? (4 different country)
            Tks

Comment

Originally posted by boppinkat View Post
              Hi all,
              If I am buying a travel package directly in Europe, shall i get my travel insurance in Singapore
              or Europe would be better? (4 different country)
              Tks
              Buy in Singapore.. also please look carefully in the T&C of the insurance. some of them like AXA don't cover you if your never see a doctor overseas but only after you are back in SG.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for sharing.,

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X