Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WATCH SALES DISCCUSION THREAD - To comment on items on sale at the SG-ROC Garage

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
    What happened? Oceanklassik

You sold yours and now you want to buy back a same watch?
    Since when did I ever own a Sinn watch? hahaha... I was just creating a thread for you guys to start flaming mah..
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Bro, it's basically the idea that we are trying to smoothen. Meaning to achieve what u mentioned and at the same time avoid the thread becoming a flame battle ground or making it unfriendly?

I guess if we DO have such a thread, the moderators will be alittle more over-loaded in trying to ensure that posts don't get out of hand and preventing a potential outburst.
      Do also cham, don't do oso not too friendly if anyone wish to comment or seek an opinion.

Maybe we should first decide if we should allow :
      1) discussion of overpriced item on sale at the garage corner.
      2) juz to enquire and gather inputs of the Market price of a particular watch NOT drawing reference to any sale item

I feel (1) should be allowed although it maybe really sensitive. (2) is basically not any problem and most are already doing so.

What do you guys think?
      But if at the end of the day, don't be surprise if nothing gets implemented. Ü

Originally posted by turbocharged View Post
      To be fair, there are always lowballing buyers who tries to buy below market price and also price gouging sellers who tries to sell above market price out there. Both lowballers and price gougers KNOW their market price and they can only succeed when they meet an unsuspecting buyer/seller who doesn't know the market price.

I feel that this being a forum of watch enthusiasts and collectors (not watch dealers), the bias should be towards fleshing out the price gougers and warning potential buyers about overpaying for a purchase. Its easy to deal with the lowballers...just ignore them. What do we do with the price gougers if we aren't allowed to call them out? If there's a need to hit all the preowned shops and ADs just to find out the market price, what's the use of the collective knowledge of the forummers? Should we just keep quiet and watch a fellow watch enthusiast get fleeced right in front of our eyes so as not to 'disturb' a price gouger's sale?

Maybe there can be a system whereby laojiaos can redflag a sales item if its clearly price gouging? The junior members will trust the laojiaos because they have more knowledge and experience...they are like the village elders looking out for the community

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
      - GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
      - Master Eight Days (1608420)
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Bro, how do you define "overpriced"? how do other bro define "overpriced"? Also how to justify the Market price gathered?

not easy... can't make everyone happy.... not easy...

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
        Bro, it's basically the idea that we are trying to smoothen. Meaning to achieve what u mentioned and at the same time avoid the thread becoming a flame battle ground or making it unfriendly?

I guess if we DO have such a thread, the moderators will be alittle more over-loaded in trying to ensure that posts don't get out of hand and preventing a potential outburst.
        Do also cham, don't do oso not too friendly if anyone wish to comment or seek an opinion.

Maybe we should first decide if we should allow :
        1) discussion of overpriced item on sale at the garage corner.
        2) juz to enquire and gather inputs of the Market price of a particular watch NOT drawing reference to any sale item

I feel (1) should be allowed although it maybe really sensitive. (2) is basically not any problem and most are already doing so.

What do you guys think?
        But if at the end of the day, don't be surprise if nothing gets implemented. Ü

Comment

Bro, how do you define "overpriced"? how do other bro define "overpriced"? Also how to justify the Market price gathered?

If 50% of the same model in similar condition (BNIB, LNIB or whatever) sold at preowned shops or within the forum itself is at least 10% cheaper than the seller's asking price, I feel that it should be considered overpriced. For example, if 50% of the SS blackface Daytona are sold @ $16k at the ADs or $15k in the forums, then listing it for sale @ $17.5k is overpriced. Buyers and sellers transact in a 'market' so there's definitely a current market price. If you bought your watch very expensive, you have 2 options...1 is to price it according to the current market (to which you are trying to sell to) or just keep it till the market price increases. If the buyer knows the market price and still want to buy, then good for you. If they don't and you are trying to pull wool over their eyes, then I think that's unethical and where this forum can become useful. At the end of the day, if you are not the seller and have no vested interest in having the sales price inflated, then I see no reason why anyone should oppose watches being sold at the current market price. Of course, if you have some special watch that nobody else is selling, you control the market I see popular watches like Daytonas, GMT II or DSSD having a market price...it may go up or down but there's still a trend cause there's always sellers.

The real question is how such price info. can be verified so that we can use it as a benchmark. That's why I suggested for the laojiaos to play the role of the village elder

Comment

good question! what is overprice? issit overprice to me or not to you? very very subjective....And base on what to determine market prices? I'll use AD's after less disc prices as gauge if i were to buy from private dealers..

Comment

If 50% of the same model in similar condition (BNIB, LNIB or whatever) sold at preowned shops or within the forum itself is at least 10% cheaper than the seller's asking price, I feel that it should be considered overpriced. For example, if 50% of the SS blackface Daytona are sold @ $16k at the ADs or $15k in the forums, then listing it for sale @ $17.5k is overpriced. Buyers and sellers transact in a 'market' so there's definitely a current market price. If you bought your watch very expensive, you have 2 options...1 is to price it according to the current market (to which you are trying to sell to) or just keep it till the market price increases. If the buyer knows the market price and still want to buy, then good for you. If they don't and you are trying to pull wool over their eyes, then I think that's unethical and where this forum can become useful. At the end of the day, if you are not the seller and have no vested interest in having the sales price inflated, then I see no reason why anyone should oppose watches being sold at the current market price. Of course, if you have some special watch that nobody else is selling, you control the market I see popular watches like Daytonas, GMT II or DSSD having a market price...it may go up or down but there's still a trend cause there's always sellers.

The real question is how such price info. can be verified so that we can use it as a benchmark. That's why I suggested for the laojiaos to play the role of the village elder
              "That's why I suggested for the laojiaos to play the role of the village elder " buddy,you know why many members choose not to advertise advices to some who asked is this a good price to buy sort of questions? We dun wanna to be liable...prices changes up and downs,AD prices subject to customers.Some get better discount,some get standard disc...let me tell you when GMT master IIc going at premium,my boss brought it for 8k.

Comment

You're right louie! The more we advise the more trouble we will get... a fellow bro pay cheap price for a watch we advised, what we get? Maybe a Thank you note... sometime don't have... If they paid a little more, or after they bought a watch some other bro got better lobang, we gonna big big...

Originally posted by louie View Post
                "That's why I suggested for the laojiaos to play the role of the village elder " buddy,you know why many members choose not to advertise advices to some who asked is this a good price to buy sort of questions? We dun wanna to be liable...prices changes up and downs,AD prices subject to customers.Some get better discount,some get standard disc...let me tell you when GMT master IIc going at premium,my boss brought it for 8k.

Comment

Market price is not the cheapest price. Its a ballpark figure to which prices can be compared to. Buying used watches is like buying used cars....the seller might have bought his BMW very expensive 3years back but if he wants to sell it now, he still have to price it to the current market price to get a bite. That's the good thing abt a website like sgcarmart...it quickly allows a buyer to know what's the market price and to know which seller is selling his at a premium. The final decision of course lies with the buyer but at least he has the necessary info. to make a knowledgeable decision.

I agree that being a moderator/laojiao is more often than not a thankless job though. I don't think this thing will ever go forward though....everyone wanna protect themselves and rightly so. Too bad for the newbies then

Comment

Market price is not the cheapest price. Its a ballpark figure to which prices can be compared to. Buying used watches is like buying used cars....the seller might have bought his BMW very expensive 3years back but if he wants to sell it now, he still have to price it to the current market price to get a bite. That's the good thing abt a website like sgcarmart...it quickly allows a buyer to know what's the market price and to know which seller is selling his at a premium. The final decision of course lies with the buyer but at least he has the necessary info. to make a knowledgeable decision.

I agree that being a moderator/laojiao is more often than not a thankless job though. I don't think this thing will ever go forward though....everyone wanna protect themselves and rightly so. Too bad for the newbies then
                    buddy,we came a long way and learnt through the process also,there are ppl the real collectors who lost thousands of dollars or even more in watch collection...

The TS started this thread meant well and hope this thread will benefit to many who are new to this or first time luxury watch buying.May I suggest if there is any seller really out to chop carrot head,anyone can raise a red flag by replying in the sales thread to ask the seller BUT that provided you can prove where/when/who offer a better deal. (*To be fair to the seller)

In life,no short cut.Trust yourself,and do your own home/footwork for current models e.g. Rolex,Omega etc etc...if buying vintage,be very careful cos there is no so call market price for them can varies thousands of dollars or more...

Last but not least,keep a lookout here at the garage sale,and spend more time on SG-ROC you'll go a long way....

Comment

In the end , I guess we should just let them buyers and sellers deal. The best we can do is to be here for the newbies to msg for advice then its up to each of us on how best to engage it.

Comment

"To comment on items on sale at the SG-ROC Garage ".... any items to comment?

Comment

"To comment on items on sale at the SG-ROC Garage ".... any items to comment?
                          My comment is the watches are very nice. I feel like buying! got GMT Master II Ceramic and 371701....

Comment

I guess with the inputs, although the existence of such a thread is suppose to serve for the greater good, but it too would be the weakest link to the harmony of this forum.
                            Let's just then close this discussion and leave it as it is for now. We'll let the newbies take their own initiative to PM senior members for their opinion when required. The only way to make this forum 'friendly' and homely until there is a better way to approach this.

Thanks ya all for yr inputs and drawing various scenario to address this feedback.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                            - GMT II
                            - GMT IIc TT
                            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                            - U1
                            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Friendly most important!

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                              I guess with the inputs, although the existence of such a thread is suppose to serve for the greater good, but it too would be the weakest link to the harmony of this forum.
                              Let's just then close this discussion and leave it as it is for now. We'll let the newbies take their own initiative to PM senior members for their opinion when required. The only way to make this forum 'friendly' and homely until there is a better way to approach this.

Thanks ya all for yr inputs and drawing various scenario to address this feedback.

Comment

Friendly most important!
                                We here to make friends,not enemy...and i'm glad to be here.Here is a place where we "meet" to discuss about our watches...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X