Case Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Studies

Springing from this thread, I will like to share two case studies and see some valuable responses. I am not intending to run down anyone here, but merely to voice some concerns and hope to improve communications .

First case:

A member "axxxxxx6" contacted me in the wee hours of the morning in response to the sale of my watch. He expressed great interest in purchasing my watch and after some negotiations on the same night (early morning), we agreed on a price and the deal was confirmed. We then arranged to meet up the next day or a day after (I can't really recall), but axxxxxx6 "disappeared". Efforts were made to contact him but to no avail. The watch was later sold to another person. Astonishingly, axxxxxx6 "re-appeared" in the forum and continued to buy and even sell watches.

Second case:

A member "kxxxxxxx6" contacted me on a Saturday in response to the sale of my watch. He expressed great interest to buy my watch and during the discussion, asked for my best price to sell to him. As I felt he was genuine and wanting very much to buy, I agreed to lower my price and immediately, kxxxxxx6 agreed, and confirmed deal. He even asked if there was anyway he could secure the sale, in case someone else wanted it. Out of trust and honesty (which was my mistake), I mentioned that I would hold the watch for him until we transact, and he readily agreed. The problem was, as he wanted to authenticate the watch and the next day being Sunday, we could only meet on Monday.

I did not contact kxxxxxx6 after the first contact we had since we had already made arrangements to meet. However, kxxxxxx6 contacted me again on Sunday, and seeming very, very afraid to lose the deal, reminded me of our meeting on Monday. I assured him that I am an honest person and will keep to my promise. Then came the setback just hours later! He contacted me on Sunday night, to inform that he found another watch that was very cheap (it was not even the model I was selling), and he did not want to buy mine anymore.

Some thoughts:

In both cases, axxxxxx6 and kxxxxxx6 had displayed keen interest to buy. The former could contact me in the wee hours of the morning to negotiate a deal. The latter made the effort to remind me not to forget our deal. I was thinking if I should actually ask for a deposit in the first place. But I thought they should know some basic rules if they wish to buy/sell items in such manner. Well I was wrong. I also based my trust on their background in the forum - both have been selling watches/other items in the forum. And one of them is still doing it !

I had used the iTrader on the earlier case and had contemplated if I should do so for the latter case. But I think (and to console myself), let it passed. I have heard of worse cases and I thought mine was not too bad to warrant an "unfriendly" response.

What are your thoughts and feelings? Let's share.

The Crown Of Achievement

Hi

First case- Disapperaring Act: Warrants -ve itrader rating if you have his nick. When it happened to me, I did not get the person's nick.

2nd case- Last min backout: Personally, I would let it go as it may be quite a "common" experience

Cheers!

Comment

My point is: how do we communicate better to make sure there is no misunderstanding. Now, I did not pressure the other parties to buy. On the contrary, the pressure was more from the other parties to make me sell to them (irony right?).

If axxxxxx6 would have just text me to inform that he would not be buying from me, wouldn't that suffice? If kxxxxxxx6 would have just inform that he could not confirm a deal and was waiting for a cheaper deal, that would have prepared me mentally that it was a "half-deal", right?

Appreciate your response..
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        My point is: how do we communicate better to make sure there is no misunderstanding. Now, I did not pressure the other parties to buy. On the contrary, the pressure was more from the other parties to make me sell to them (irony right?).

If axxxxxx6 would have just text me to inform that he would not be buying from me, wouldn't that suffice? If kxxxxxxx6 would have just inform that he could not confirm a deal and was waiting for a cheaper deal, that would have prepared me mentally that it was a "half-deal", right?

Appreciate your response..
        In a perfect world, that would logically be how things should pan out.

But seriously, we are talking about human beings and differences in personalities/morals do come into play here...that's why we have wars and conflicts in this world simply because everybody behaves/reacts differently from what you expect them to...

As I am writing this response, I am recalling the lyrics to DM's "People are People". Great song, great band

In short, there is no clear answer to your questions. Just take it easy mate

Comment

I think changing of mind should be acceptable, but must be automatic/polite a bit... tell the seller/buyer in advance if possible and apologise.... maybe over a cup of latte or something,,,,

no need to get too worked-up and frustrated.....

Comment

I think for the first case, axxxx6 gave you a -ve rating as well..

Comment

that's the problem with buyers in singapore, they always think that customers are always right (cash is in their pocket)... bro, take it easy.....

Comment

Chill guys! I'm easy. I thought since we are all trying to improve the iTrader system, I might as well share actual case scenarios. I definitely appreciate the sound advice you all are giving me. When I started out new in the forum, I get easily frustrated when people did not respond the way I wish they would, so that was also my problem too. But over time, I learnt, and I am still learning.

To RTS:

The -ve rating I gave him and he 'return' me is a good case to study for the iTrader system. So, others can read up and contribute to improve the system, or remain status quo.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Chill guys! I'm easy. I thought since we are all trying to improve the iTrader system, I might as well share actual case scenarios. I definitely appreciate the sound advice you all are giving me. When I started out new in the forum, I get easily frustrated when people did not respond the way I wish they would, so that was also my problem too. But over time, I learnt, and I am still learning.

To RTS:

The -ve rating I gave him and he 'return' me is a good case to study for the iTrader system. So, others can read up and contribute to improve the system, or remain status quo.

bro,dun think too much la. Let baygon be baygon, sheltox be sheltox.Cheers.
                  累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

To me, I would have given both of them a neg rating as it will warn other bros who are about to deal with them that they are unlikely to honour their words.
                    1 3 5
                    ├┼┼╕
                    2 4 6 R

Comment

So having shared so much this far, do you think that the current iTrader function needs improvement?
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

So having shared so much this far, do you think that the current iTrader function needs improvement?
                        to me I still think it's down to personal communication between both party which is very important.If either 1 party get the wrong message through their own personal communication skill then the whole deal will turn sour. Just my worthless view. Cheers.
                        累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

Correct. So the right communication and maturity is important. The majority of those members I've encountered in the trades, so far are good. I feel that the iTrader function at current serves the community here well. I used my case studies to highlight that when people failed to communicate properly, it causes unhappiness and misunderstanding.

Another thing to note is that a -ve rating you see on a member here does not necessarily mean he/she is 'bad' all the time. Unless of course, out of 10 ratings, he/she got more than 4 to 5 -ve ratings. Let's read with an open mind and take -ve comments as a learning process.

Have a nice day everyone!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

To prevent abuse of the itrader, i believe, all sales should be linked to the feedback as per the previous thread recommendation.

To further improve the system, its possible, that comments be left in a thread, and a list of "pilots" can be added. this saves all parties from having to mess about, and frustrations.
                            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                            Blue 6694
                            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X