Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions, please

Hi everyone,

First up I must apologise for setting up yet another suggestion thread - i'd read the past few pages of threads to sieve out what I thought would be useful for me, but nevertheless decided that perhaps some of the veterans here could help me out.

By way of introduction i'm a guy in my mid 20's and who has been working for about 2 years now. Recently i've been toying with the idea of buying a watch for myself, having worn my seiko kinetic watch for sometime now, in addition to the array of swatch, casio and sports watches one wears as a teenager. In terms of horological knowledge I have none, and chanced upon this community in hope of learning something and having some direction.

As in many situations budget here plays a primary role, and for me i'm looking to set aside about S$5k - $6k for this. This is however not set in stone, and depending on how well I like it and the perception of value it could be stretched, though not by more than a third i'd reckon. I've been snooping around cyberspace and looking at the designs of various brands, and in terms of style/design I like something like the chopard superfast split second, or the mille miglia gt xl chrono (though i suspect both might be out of my budget, with the former it's clear).In general something not to loud, somewhat a mixture of complicated but understated.

One problem i've come across in trying to research and shortlisting some watches is the fact that i simply do not know what price ranges each come into. Off the cuff i can think of a few brands, but don't know how they rank in terms of pricing: Rolex, Bell & Ross, Ball, Tag Heuer, Chopard, Breitling, Omega, etc. Of course there are the really high end ones, which I don't even think about.

With such considerations in mind, I'm not sure if anyone could help, maybe with individual, or if not, classes/brands from which i should start looking at? Predominantly I'm looking at new watches, but would definitely consider pre-owned if i find a model i like which suits my budget (i.e., i wont buy one just for the brand even if i don't like it). I'm also not very much concerned with resale value.

I hope i don't sound too demanding, and if so, i do apologise. Please also forgive me if there should've been a better section to post this in.

Thank you!

Hi & welcome to the community

I've read your post and it seems that your choice is rather 'wide open'. At this stage, I think it is not easy to throw you with all the suggestions or you will be overwhelmed. Or am I wrong? What I'll think is that, find some time that you can be free/available. Walk the stretch of Orchard Road and 'hit' the watch shops around. Ask what you want to ask, 'touch' what you can 'touch' (referring to watches, pls ), note/pen down those prices that you may need to refer back (including discounts given or not). This, I feel, may give you a better understanding of what you really want, or at least, point you to a clearer direction.

Cheers!
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

read this thread if you want to buy rolex. however, certain information is may not be valid.

consider reading this thread

you have possible a maximum budget of 8k by calculations.

first you have to decide if you want to get pre-own or brand new. once you have that sorted out, you can then narrow down the choices of watch that is available.

i would rather say that watch has no 'class', it is always how much your budget is that dictates your choice(s).

with say a budget of 8k, it is possible to get a pre-own grand seiko. some people may not comprehend why one will spend 8k on a grand seiko. some will say with 8k, you can possibly get a rolex or panerai or some other brand. why rolex and panerai?

this is because these 2 brands currently holds a certain resale value. in an event if you no longer want the watch, you can sell it 'close' to its buying price. however it varies if the buying price is for BNIB or pre-own watch.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

welcome to this pool of poison.... hehehe...
        on the side note, u should determine how much does that 5 or 6k occupies the percentage of ur annual income before deciding what to go for. is that half yearly, or whole year, or just a mere 5% of ur annual income...
        not to make it sound scary, but this hobby is really poisonous... today u maybe able to but an omega, couples of days later when u see another fella u know put on a AP, and u immediately falls for it... you would be thirsty for the same piece as well, or perhaps another variation.

so it's best that u could really determine what kind of budget that u can set aside seriously, as i believe "watch-ing" u might hv other cash intensive activities and expense as well...

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! Ocean - you're not wrong, really. I guess when one is as new as I the only concept one has is that i'm looking for a watch. I thought of doing what you suggested, actually, but the huge doors of many authorised dealers are rather intimidating!

triton: Thanks for the links. Am in the midst of reading through them - i take it as doing my homework (: at this particular instance i must ask: whilst resale price plays a part in the perceived value of a watch, do many actually do so? that is, buy, wear it for a while, then sell? Just wondering though. In my case i'm suspecting that this one'll be for keeps.

ed.Yeo - haha thanks for the warning! I had a relatively expensive hobby not too long ago - cycling. I still do it, just a little slow to upgrade these days. But i hear you.

in general though i think i kinda like sport watches, and in particular racing ones, or what the proper name for the chronograph watches is. I guess i'm attracted to how masculine and sleek these generally are, if nothing else. heh.

Comment

Hi Cokiee,

Don't feel intimidated about the ADs, you are the customer and u plan to spend the money so feel free to browse. Its very different to see the watch in the flesh and handle its weight. Certain watches look very much better in the flesh. Its also important to make sure the watch fits you. Sits on your hand well, and the lugs fits you.

Looking around for the watch is part of the fun too. After you have decided on which model you want then you go on to the next step of who can sell you the best. Cos when you have decided you can do so serious bargaining/price inquiry, cos causal inquiry might not give you a good price. But don't forget to have a cool down period before you actually buy the watch, cos feelings for the watch might change.

How to get a rough estimate of watch prices? Look at the online shops to have rough idea of the prices. So at least you go into the shops and give the watches which are below and above your budget a miss.But keep an open mind, cos a gd SE can recommend you some good alternatives.

Also don't forget to read up on the watches, cos it lets you know which SE is trying to smoke you out.

My 2 cents....

Comment

your two cents are worth it's weight in gold. And gold prices are quite high now, heh.

But seriously thank you for your suggestion on how i should narrow my options down. And one piece of advice i'll definitely be giving to future questions like mine, is essentially what you have said - that the watch must be seen in the flesh before your buying decision.

I've been looking around, and the Ball Spacemaster Glow caught my eye. But when I went to the AD to have a peek at it, it was MASSIVE! I still like how it looks, just that it's way too big for my wrist.

In any case, does any one have any opinion on Ball watches in general? I ask because when i was there the Stormchaser DLC (could have been the DLC Glow) caught my eye, and the AD quoted me a figure which i thought was fair (i'm not listing the price mainly because i'm not sure if that's allowed) - the fact that he gave me a decent discount also helped.

So ya, where do Ball watches stand in terms of movement, make, and it's stature amongst what i would term 'mid-level' watches? Maybe in the same league as Tag Heuers?

I'm facing a little bit of a dillema here mainly because i could up my budget a little when compared to this one, and go for a Rolex - something clearly more timeless.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

im not sure about whether buyers of watch actually consider the resale price of a watch before buying. i am just pointing out because i have come across a number of people who bought a time piece and later regret and wanting to sell it but realize that the resale value is quite bad. then lament on the fact that they should gotten x brand instead as it holds its value better.

Originally posted by cokiee View Post
                triton: Thanks for the links. Am in the midst of reading through them - i take it as doing my homework (: at this particular instance i must ask: whilst resale price plays a part in the perceived value of a watch, do many actually do so? that is, buy, wear it for a while, then sell? Just wondering though. In my case i'm suspecting that this one'll be for keeps.

in general though i think i kinda like sport watches, and in particular racing ones, or what the proper name for the chronograph watches is. I guess i'm attracted to how masculine and sleek these generally are, if nothing else. heh.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

ball watch has been around for more than 100 years and if you compared it like other established brands that has been around for that long, you can see the difference.

mid level with reference to which brand? tag heuers has a wide range of prices on their different models. ball watch focus on different aspects on watches compared to tag heuer. im not into tag heuers but they do have some very interesting movements around compared to ball watch.

So ya, where do Ball watches stand in terms of movement, make, and it's stature amongst what i would term 'mid-level' watches? Maybe in the same league as Tag Heuers?

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Hi cokiee,
                    I guess you have to decide whether are you getting a dress or everyday watch. To me a Rolex will be a dress watch where as Ball(Spacemaster and Stormchaser) is sport and everyday watch. Ball basically use ETA movement and modify it to suits their design. They are reliable and perform well. So far I'm please with my Ball watches.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      im not sure about whether buyers of watch actually consider the resale price of a watch before buying. i am just pointing out because i have come across a number of people who bought a time piece and later regret and wanting to sell it but realize that the resale value is quite bad. then lament on the fact that they should gotten x brand instead as it holds its value better.
                      Noted with thanks! I think this probably wouldn't impact myself that much, 'cause (as of now) i don't think i'll be re-selling the watch really. I tend to just leave things to die. But of course that may change as i grow and as the situation evolves.

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      ball watch has been around for more than 100 years and if you compared it like other established brands that has been around for that long, you can see the difference.

mid level with reference to which brand? tag heuers has a wide range of prices on their different models. ball watch focus on different aspects on watches compared to tag heuer. im not into tag heuers but they do have some very interesting movements around compared to ball watch.
                      Thanks for putting things in perspective. You're right in saying that if i compare it to watches with the same kind of heritage then a rather large difference can be observed. One thing I don't really like about tags, i guess, is that it's way popular. Like it's on the wrist of every college student. But they do have nice models though.

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                      Hi cokiee,
                      I guess you have to decide whether are you getting a dress or everyday watch. To me a Rolex will be a dress watch where as Ball(Spacemaster and Stormchaser) is sport and everyday watch. Ball basically use ETA movement and modify it to suits their design. They are reliable and perform well. So far I'm please with my Ball watches.
                      Hi TanWL, I tend to think i'm looking for an everyday watch rather than one which i can wear only on dress-down occassions. That said, I wear a suit at work daily, but at the same time i like to think that they're not entirely mutually exclusive in that it would reflect the 'sporty' side of me even on business occassions.

Comment

if you are going to be a one-watch man, then get a rolex sub and dun look back.
                        Remnants of my irresponsibility:
                        "Foreign affections"
                        1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                        2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
                        3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
                        4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
                        What's NEXT?

Comment

if this is the case, i would suggest you get a rolex sports model. if it is for keeps, would suggest you get it brand new.

besides heritage, there is also other things to look @, such as movement.

besides, tag, there are also other models that are popular.

Noted with thanks! I think this probably wouldn't impact myself that much, 'cause (as of now) i don't think i'll be re-selling the watch really.

One thing I don't really like about tags, i guess, is that it's way popular. Like it's on the wrist of every college student. But they do have nice models though.

I tend to think i'm looking for an everyday watch rather than one which i can wear only on dress-down occassions. That said, I wear a suit at work daily, but at the same time i like to think that they're not entirely mutually exclusive in that it would reflect the 'sporty' side of me even on business occassions.

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

Yup, can't agree more with Feudallord and Triton, get brand new and get a Rolex. Anything else, you won't be satisfied. But Rolex is way popular too and you can find a Rolex on alot of wrists. But its the best watch too start with. And if it ends there, you'll have no regrets... If you decide to get anything else, pls Remember to enforce the cool off period, cos you'll soon see another Chronograph that u like...

Comment

Haha thanks for your suggestions friends - i see where you're coming from. I spoke to another friend and he, too had a similar suggestion. Maybe one of you is that friend (:

Ah, decisions, decisions (:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X