Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent scratches on polished steel bezel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent scratches on polished steel bezel?

I have a Pam 111 which has a polished bezel. Besides the usual scratches, I noticed that the bezel part next to the crown has lots of fine scratches from my thumb rubbing against it. I'm very particular abt how I wind my watch and I make sure my thumbnail doesn't touch the bezel.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? And is there something I can do to prevent the scratches? I use cape cod cloth to polish this part now and then, and its getting annoying. Any advice?

I believe that is normal and part and parcel of owning a Pam. Fine scratches show up on polished SS so much easier because of its high gloss & reflectivity. But like what you have done, using a Cape Cod Cloth to polish it is the only way.

1 extreme way, IMO, is to get a watch winder, so that your 111 doesn't ever wind down for you to wind it back up.

Comment

I can't rely on watch winder becos the 111 is handwound

Comment

I have the same issue as you!

Thus I discovered an easy way to overcome this problem. Flip it around (the movement facing you), and wind it. The logic is, because the thumb is much larger than the index finger, it makes more sense for the thumb to brush against the brushed steel than the polished steel. And at the same time, position your index finger as far from the polished steel as possible when you wind.

It works for me! No more hairline scratches after that

Comment

Wear a pair of gloves when winding? Just kidding. Don't worry too much about it
          elusive

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
            Wear a pair of gloves when winding? Just kidding. Don't worry too much about it
            Where can I buy those gloves use by the sales persons in ADs?
            Collections:

Panerai Luminor Singapore Edition PAM00432
            Rolex 1680 Red Sub MKI
            Rolex 1680 Red Sub MKII Tropical
            Rolex 5513 Maxi MK1 Sub
            Rolex 1665 Great White MKII Rail Dial
            Rolex Daytona 16523 MKI Porcelain Dial
            Rolex Submariner 16610LV MK1 Y Series
            Rolex Daytona 6265 Big Red
            Patek Philippe Nautilus 5980/1A
            Omega Speedmaster Professional Snoopy White

Comment

Try ebay.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-COTTO...item51b00c9c73

Comment

place a scotch tape on the besel before winding, it will work but can be annoying as you have to do it each time.

Comment

But it's a good suggestion : )
                  I own a Rolex !

Comment

I have the same issue with my zero. Came to terms with it already and it isn't that bad anyway. Kind of a personal touch *with some sense of denial*. Haha

Comment

all watches get scratches... I thought as long as its not a dent, it can be polished?

Comment

Originally posted by jamester View Post
                        I have a Pam 111 which has a polished bezel. Besides the usual scratches, I noticed that the bezel part next to the crown has lots of fine scratches from my thumb rubbing against it. I'm very particular abt how I wind my watch and I make sure my thumbnail doesn't touch the bezel.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? And is there something I can do to prevent the scratches? I use cape cod cloth to polish this part now and then, and its getting annoying. Any advice?
                        owning a watch is supposed to be an enjoyable experience and you're making it sound "stressful" by worrying too much, mate.
                        I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                        A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                        Audemars Piguet ROO
                        Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                        De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                        Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                        IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                        Panerai 270
                        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                        Rolex 116610LV
                        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by jamester View Post

May I share with you a story here
                          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I think avoid thumbnail from touching the bezel every time winding up the watch would help. I am doing just like this and there is no fine line on my Pam's bezel at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                              owning a watch is supposed to be an enjoyable experience and you're making it sound "stressful" by worrying too much, mate.
                              im not worried but just puzzled why my thumbskin (not nail) can cause scratches on steel... maybe i too thick-skinned. LOL...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X