No announcement yet.

which current pam now may discontiune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which current pam now may discontiune?

hi all,

does anyone here heard of any news of any current pam models that may discontinue?
    (other than those special editions)

cheers

All with the ETA based movements will be discontinued..eventually..why?...there will simply be not enough ébauches (movement blanks) to go around....so better keep them ETAs!

Quoted from Wikipedia (colour red and bold added)

"In the Swiss watch industry, there was a two-year investigation[12] into certain aspects of the business practices of ETA SA. The investigation was concluded in November 2005 by the Swiss Competition Commission with the finding that ETA was abusing its dominant market position. ETA had had the intention to discontinue its supply of ébauches (movement blanks) as of January 2006 and thereafter to supply only fully assembled watch movements and its own brands (the so-called “phasing-out”).

ETA argued that it was overwhelmed with orders and that its ébauches were sometimes ending up in fake (a/k/a replica or trademark pirated watches).[13] ETA also warned that there could be another crisis in Swiss watch making unless there was more innovation and investment. Nicolas Hayek, then the CEO of Swatch, the parent of ETA observed,

"[t]here was no innovation, no new development, and when I pushed them to start doing new production, everybody started shouting... I said I was not going to deliver any more of my movements unless they try to do their own production... Otherwise the Swiss watch industry will suffer exactly the same problems it had before and it will go down."

However, the investigations revealed that ETA held a dominant position in the market for Swiss made mechanical ébauches up to a unit price of CHF 300. The regulators determined that stopping deliveries to third parties would have threatened the future of many small watchmakers in Switzerland and the termination of supply was to be regarded as an unlawful refusal to do business and therefore as an abusive practice. For numerous competitors, the implementation of the phasing-out within such a short time meant in practical terms that they had been deprived of the basis for their business activity, as there was no alternative supplier.

In an amicable settlement, ETA committed to supply the ébauches until the end of 2008 at the current volume and thereafter for two additional years at a reduced volume. This will create a situation in which alternative production plants may be set up. The regulators said the agreement gives small watch making companies in Switzerland enough time to adapt to the market and find new producers.[14]

This has spurred on progress in the watch movement circles with several brands developing proprietary movements, for example Panerai. Another discrete movement maker, Progress Watch Corp. also came into the market for a period of time. ETA movements have also been duplicated by various enterprises including Asian manufacturers and are usually being produced without license[15]."

Comment

Have read many times this theory of ETA based watches becoming collectible after the supply is cut...I personally don't buy this idea, there are just too many ETA watches out there (I don't mean just PAM but all other brands) to make watches of such movement collectible.

But maybe I am wrong, since the P company as well as the P community are good at creating collectibles...:P
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

PAM000, PAM005 and PAM104..
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          Bro..LOL

Comment

Agree. ETA movement pams will surely be discontinued. Whether they will become collectibles is a ???? I personally don't think zero, 5, 111, 112 and 104 will be collectible. But ETA 127 will. So, collectibility has nothing to do with movement, especially for Pams.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Have read many times this theory of ETA based watches becoming collectible after the supply is cut...I personally don't buy this idea, there are just too many ETA watches out there (I don't mean just PAM but all other brands) to make watches of such movement collectible.

But maybe I am wrong, since the P company as well as the P community are good at creating collectibles...:P

I provided the reply to his question on which models to be discontinued NOT on collectibility. I know for a fact that the very fact that a model is discontinued does not mean it'll be collectible.

Just answering the bro's question

Comment

hi all,
                thanks a lot for answering my qns.

another question would be when will they be dicontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  Originally posted by joseph View Post
                  hi all,
                  thanks a lot for answering my qns.

another question would be when will they be dicontinued?
                  BaselWorld 2011..
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hi bro oceanklassik,

so does that means that pam 000,005,104 will definitely by replaced be newer and improved models and thus these pams will stop production?

cheers!

Comment

hi bro oceanklassik,

so does that means that pam 000,005,104 will definitely by replaced be newer and improved models and thus these pams will stop production by basel world 2011?

cheers!

Comment

! mai scare me leh. It's anybody's guess, so I'm only guessing ..
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

did panerai ever announce that which pam will get discontinue?

Comment

No. And not any brand that will?
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Not sure what's the reason for the question, but if you want to buy a base model hoping it'll be discontinued and price will go up, then it might not make sense. Using PAM005 as an example, there are about 8500 units out there so far and if it goes out of production after "M", still can't imagine it being collectable... Staying with PAM005, a long-arrow mint "005G" (romoured to be only 100 produced out of 1000) commands only a slight premium. There are people trying to sell long arrow PAM005G for higher premium but no takers. Then there are other models 0,111,112,183,etc

Series - Units
                              G - 1000
                              H - 1200
                              I -1600
                              J - 1100
                              K - 1200
                              L - 1200
                              M - 1200 (?)
                              Total - 8500 (?)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse