Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do divers/soldier wear leather strapped watch in 1950s ? (& not rubber)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do divers/soldier wear leather strapped watch in 1950s ? (& not rubber)

Hi fellow Pam Fans,

Had a question that's in my mind for quite a long time (whenver i saw pam advertisemen ton 1950 or radiomir)and wish to post it up here. Not sure if its being discussed before.

Why do the divers/soldiers wear Leather strapped watch in that era(1950-1960)? such as the 1950 & radiomir?
    Sorry but i just dun understand why soldier who sweat sweat swear & divers who soak in sea water would wear leather strap? (is it that rubber strap not invented at that time?)
    Or leather have other combat worthy properties? (fireproof?)

Ideas appreciated.

http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php...hlight=soldier

Didn't you just post this not too long ago
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by boonfei80 View Post
      Hi fellow Pam Fans,

Had a question that's in my mind for quite a long time (whenver i saw pam advertisemen ton 1950 or radiomir)and wish to post it up here. Not sure if its being discussed before.

Why do the divers/soldiers wear Leather strapped watch in that era(1950-1960)? such as the 1950 & radiomir?
      Sorry but i just dun understand why soldier who sweat sweat swear & divers who soak in sea water would wear leather strap? (is it that rubber strap not invented at that time?)
      Or leather have other combat worthy properties? (fireproof?

Ideas appreciated.
      Rubber strap use on dive watch only surface in the 60's . Panerai was born in 1936 for
      design in WW2. The over-size pocket watch came in fits lugs... so logically the leather was their ideal over those rubber " Innovation in rubber was pretty limited during that era I only guessing here, maybe anyone care to chip in more?

Comment

Sorry some small typo here & there" . Need also to add that rubber in those days were not as tough as leathers on stress test !!

Comment

Just like condom, it also does not start with latex/rubber.

Comment

I don't know if your other thread on this same topic will be merged but let's respond here.

I would think divers/soldiers wear leather straps because:
            1. Leather straps were easier to adjust to wrist size and lighter to wear than steel.
            2. Rubber straps were not available for watches back in the 50s. I think rubber was used more for modern digital watches like Casio.
            3. Leather straps were easier to change and certainly more affordable than stainless steel.
            4. Leather straps were bio-degradable so more environmental friendly and blend easily into the environment like jungle and sea
            5. Leather straps conveyed style and class

Comment

Calf leather was more readily available in europe than rubber. Europe got plenty of cows slaughtered for meat but rubber is rather expensive to import from Malaya. Plus, during ww2, rubber was high in demand to make tyros for vehicles so no one use them to make insignificant things like watch straps. Thus, rubber straps only surfaced in post ww2 when demand for rubber for war equipment fell.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X