Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "no right" argument/comparsion - 232 vs 190....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "no right" argument/comparsion - 232 vs 190....

I suppose most of you have had his internal struggle when buying your first rad (with gold hands)..and one of the most common one has defintely got to be "232 vs 190)... came across this fantastic article by the 100thmonkey at PaneraiSource..... whether u are thinking of a rad or not... this is really a superb article... enjoy...

Credit... http://www.paneraisource.com/forum/v...&t=505&start=0

Part 1

I had embarked on a journey with Panerai and entered into a world of debate about which is what and why and where for etc but a debate or piece of research that fancinated me was the debate over the Panerai PAM 190 & The Panerai PAM 232.
    To the best of my knowledge no one has actually done an outright review or comparison, there are numerous pages and pages of ‘opinions’ but 2 types of people make most. They either form the opinion on what they have read or seen or they base their opinion on owning one of the two pieces. Now some have actually owned both and traded one for the other but in the process of doing so failed to share the information in a photographic and comparison form.
    Now before we start I have to make a disclaimer type statement,
    “Both these watches are absolutely amazing”
    But throughout reading this you may draw a positive or negative and assume that one or the other is not that good. You can read my conclusion at the end. But for now grab a coffee and enjoy the pictures and my ramblings.
    Statistics

Packaging

232 Packs a 30cmx30cm box compared to the 23cmx23cm 190, this is due to the addition of the scroll, booklet, locking key case and SE goodies that come with the 232. It is worth noting that the lid is heavy and the hinges can rip from the wood but are easily repaired with some wood glue or filler.

it continues ....

Part 2

The Watches

The two watches vary in width, whilst the 190 is 45mm its thicker case which house the exhibition back and JLC feels just as substantial. The 45mm case size is more wearable in general as you do need a larger wrist to pull off a 47mm, that said the 47mm sits lower and flatter!

The sheer pleasure of winding the 190 with its butter smooth action and watching the rear mounted power reserve register is a pleasure, then simply pop it on ones wrist and forget about it for a week. The 232 houses the Panerai X movement, solid and reliable but no where near the JLC, which exceeds the standards required for a COSC so doesn’t bother to certificate itself as after over a 1000 hours of testing it is more accurate than the standard required by COSC.

The 232 is more traditional, more pure and clean it has a 3,6,9, & 12 whereas the 190 delivers a smooth flowing gold second hand and the unique ‘8 Days’ inscription. Inside the 190 has the superior movement and its placing in Panerai history is cemented after they discontinued the model in 2006. In the secondhand arena the 190 does not appear as often as the 232, the 190 is a piece that once people own it they don’t sell (unless they have 2!!!) The 232 is a little more transient as all the SE pieces tend to be as some buyers have purchased them because they are SE and an investment and not for the right reasons.

Comment

Final part

What really makes both models stand out from anything else in the Panerai / Radiomir stable is the addition of the gold hands that only appear on higher end and SE models, these just glint by day and glow by night and make both models very striking and instantly noticeable.

The 190 has a black dial compared to the 232 and its more vintage brown dial, the brown and black is very close in look but the brown dial can be more pleasing to the eye in certain light conditions whereas the clean black dial is sharper and more dressy with the Panerai Black Crocodile Strap.

Its hard to decide isn’t it, seeing them side by side theres not a lot in it, you find yourself justifying each of the componant parts, you know the 190 is better quality inside, but it is NOT 47mm but the 232 is historic, you know the 232 is 47mm and you cant wear it everyday but it has a solid case back, as I said at the start one is not better than the other and no matter which you choose you will be 100% satisfied.

Conclusion
      Joint 1st in my eyes, the deciding factor has to be the buyer, can your wrist take it, do you want pure or practical, they both deliver if like me you cant decide there is only one option………Own Both!

Comment

jai guru deva om .. ..

Comment

232 for me anytime..enjoy winding the watch everyday!

Comment

nice article. thks
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by cedric View Post
              Final part

What really makes both models stand out from anything else in the Panerai / Radiomir stable is the addition of the gold hands that only appear on higher end and SE models, these just glint by day and glow by night and make both models very striking and instantly noticeable.

The 190 has a black dial compared to the 232 and its more vintage brown dial, the brown and black is very close in look but the brown dial can be more pleasing to the eye in certain light conditions whereas the clean black dial is sharper and more dressy with the Panerai Black Crocodile Strap.

Its hard to decide isn’t it, seeing them side by side theres not a lot in it, you find yourself justifying each of the componant parts, you know the 190 is better quality inside, but it is NOT 47mm but the 232 is historic, you know the 232 is 47mm and you cant wear it everyday but it has a solid case back, as I said at the start one is not better than the other and no matter which you choose you will be 100% satisfied.

Conclusion
              Joint 1st in my eyes, the deciding factor has to be the buyer, can your wrist take it, do
              you want pure or practical, they both deliver if like me you cant decide there is only one option………Own Both!
              Very comprehensive AB comparison ) Creative way u put on overview tis 2 favourite Rad. I can only speak for myself here .. if were to pick only one, it still the Pam232 . The full index make panerai more complete " On top of that was the gold hands on tobacco dial it make one feel even closer to the DNA ) Next, come to the unitas movt. can easily obtain service anywhere at more affordable in cost over the complex JLC ) Cheers

Comment

I like both, nice watches... Thumbs UPz

Comment

Originally posted by johnfish View Post
                  Very comprehensive AB comparison ) Creative way u put on overview tis 2 favourite Rad. I can only speak for myself here .. if were to pick only one, it still the Pam232 . The full index make panerai more complete " On top of that was the gold hands on tobacco dial it make one feel even closer to the DNA ) Next, come to the unitas movt. can easily obtain service anywhere at more affordable in cost over the complex JLC ) Cheers
                  Very comprehensive comparsion.. i agree... but not mine (credit to article owner at first post)... i am too noob to be able to come up with such an article... but just came across it... and thought that it is too good an article not to let others know... especially for those who is having problem choosing a gold hand(s) rad..

Comment

Definitely worth reading

Tx cedric
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Great write up. I have had both before but never the same time. If I were to choose one now, would be 190. In fact, I still rate 190 as the best overall rad, apart from 21 and 339.

Comment

I'm curious

Is it the movement in the 190 (JLC 8 Days?), or the brand PANERAI, that drives up the price of this model? Having spoken to a guru recently, I was apprised that even a JLC 8 Days movement in an authentic JLC watch doesn't cost as much as a 190.

Can anyone share?
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Based on what i've learnt thus far... defintely a JLC 8-days movement inside...... the lure is that.. this is one of the only PAM with a JLC 8-days movement... and it's hasn't been done thereafter.... and now with Panerai using their in-house movements.... there is really not much chance for such a PAM in future... but of course, with a JLC movement... alot (if not all) 190 owners will tell you about their mind-blowing (some even orgasmic) winding experience every week......

So all this adds up to the allure of the 190...

P.S. A real pity they never use the tobacco dial on the 190.. else the price will go even higher...or another twist which alot of people will like.. remove the sub-dial (and even the 8-days wording), to give it a cleaner look.....

Comment

It is the brand. Branding.
                            How else will a unitas based watch cost 5K, 10K, 25K?

Goes beyond cost of production. After all luxury items are never rational.

JLC 8days, nice! I actually sided to 190.
                            But after bro john writes. yeah 232 nice!
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                              It is the brand. Branding.
                              How else will a unitas based watch cost 5K, 10K, 25K?

Goes beyond cost of production. After all luxury items are never rational.

JLC 8days, nice! I actually sided to 190.
                              But after bro john writes. yeah 232 nice!
                              true as well.... 190 vs JLCs... it's the Panerai branding... but of cos.. if 190 vs comparable PAM... it's the allure of the 190....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X