PAM noobie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAM noobie question

Please help this worried noobie.... how come my new PAM111 power reserve doesn't seem to last more than 24 hours? If i wind the watch up at 9am yesterday, it stops exactly at 9am today. Thought the power reserve is supposed to be 50+ hours on a single winding session?

I have winded the watch till it is tight, which is roughly 20-25 twists... is that right? or should i wind the watch till it is a hard stop and can't wind anymore?

also, is there a recommended way to store the PAM? wondering if just putting it on my dressing table top can cause scratches on the underside of the watch.

And watch already got its first scratch went to Boat Asia over the weekend and was super careful - no scratches despite the hoards of people there. but then went to the washroom and when i was opening the cubicle door, guess not used to the larger watch size and a 2mm bit of the shiny polish came off on the stainless steel at top of the watch. haiz. more to come i guess. they say the first 'knock' is the most painful!

It should take about 60-70 turns from complete stop to full wind, depending on how "big" is your turns but definitely not 20-25. Try to continue winding (gentlely) until it cannot be wound further. If you still face the same problem, then I think you should send the watch to the service centre.

The underside of the watch won't get scratched by simply placing the watch on the dressing table. Unless the table top is very rough or has particles and you drag the watch along it. The sapphire crystal is more scratch resistant than the polished steel. If you wear this PAM daily, best is to use a watch tray or something similar (e.g. a DIY case or box with a soft cloth layed over it).
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Just gotta keep winding until you can't wind anymore. That's when you know your 111 is fully-wound (see FAQ from Paneristi.com below):

Q When, how often, and how much should I wind my manual - wind Panerai? Is it possible to overwind it?

A To ensure reasonable accuracy a manual wind movement should be kepy relatively fully wound. It may have a power reserve of over 40 hours, but winding every 24 will ensure good time-keeping. Most people wind their watches every morning. Wind it carefully until you encounter significant resistance to the winding motion. It is not possible to overwind the movement (at least not without extreme force).

I think you're bound to get some hairline scratches from leaving your 111 on the dressing table. Can consider getting a watch box?
      My madness so far :

Bell & Ross BR03-94 Phantom
      IWC 320104 Antoine de St Exupery Power Reserve - For Sale
      IWC 371701 Pilot's Chronograph
      IWC 500401 Big Pilot
      PAM26K Luminor Marina Left-handed Special Edition
      PAM233K Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT
      PAM190H Radiomir 8 Days
      Sinn UBlack

Comment

Get a nice box from MITCH & MARK at MBS bro..... looks nice and not cost a bomb.

great advice from the bro's above also....... they have really answers this.
        ROLEX.

Comment

welcome to the joy and headaches of owning a Panerai watch!

Comment

I placed a face towel between the surface and my watch.
            Passion for Perfection

Comment

thanks all for the advice... i wound up my PAM as much as my heart would allow last evening and hopefully it will still be moving when I get home tonight

also just to share, not really a wrist shot but a shot of my new baby at Boat Asia

Comment

Hi,

Felt so heavy hearted when I read that your 111 only lasted for 24hrs...So, I wound my 111 from a fully 'dead' watch, and I managed about 59 rounds. Probably you under wound your watch. Hope to hear u share some good news soon!

Comment

Last time, I used to relate the Turn with Hour, which is quite accurate for manual Pam with 56 hrs power reserve. For example, if i know I will wear the watch for 12 hrs only, then I will just wind abt 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by shuseido View Post
                    Last time, I used to relate the Turn with Hour, which is quite accurate for manual Pam with 56 hrs power reserve. For example, if i know I will wear the watch for 12 hrs only, then I will just wind abt 15 rounds.
                    So lazy, no wonder you changed to an auto one.
                    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                      So lazy, no wonder you changed to an auto one.
                      Oppsss... hahahah...

Speak of manual winding, I realized winding the history Pam got to be really very careful... if not, you will end up scratched the bezel badly! Really not understand why my skin can scratched the bezel! Perhaps, it was my nail? But I have been very careful!

Comment

Originally posted by shuseido View Post
                        Oppsss... hahahah...

Speak of manual winding, I realized winding the history Pam got to be really very careful... if not, you will end up scratched the bezel badly! Really not understand why my skin can scratched the bezel! Perhaps, it was my nail? But I have been very careful!
                        Yes the skin can scratch the polished steel bezel.
                        I wonder why too. High vickers skin?
                        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Hi all,

Hubby finally managed to convince me to let him wind the watch haha - it lasted 54 hours on a full wind, so i guess my 111 is ok! just so scared of breaking the winding mechanism

yah have to be careful the bezel can get scratched even by your thumb and index finger winding the watch.

Comment

Originally posted by popsicletoes View Post
                            Hi all,

Hubby finally managed to convince me to let him wind the watch haha - it lasted 54 hours on a full wind, so i guess my 111 is ok! just so scared of breaking the winding mechanism

yah have to be careful the bezel can get scratched even by your thumb and index finger winding the watch.
                            when winding the watch you have to "feel" for tension or tightness in the winding mechanism. because in the OPI/II movements there are no safety mechanism to prevent over winding.

i think most scratches are caused by fingernails, especially when ladies keep long fingernails (evident on some car door handles). also used a dedicated polishing cloth to clean the watch would help to minimize scratches.

Comment

Glad to hear that:-) You can now put your mind at ease...haha

Is always the case when you just owned a manual winding watch...haha. I had the same experience too. Especially if the watch is one which you had been longing to own...keke Practice makes perfect...after sometime, you will know when the watch is fully wind. Just like driving:-)

The skin at the side of your nails can be very hard. That might be one of the reason. If you are really worried, wear a glove when winding....haha

Cheers
                              Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X