Panerai overpriced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 116520 View Post
    Ok ok... next time we go Starbucks and I will bring you some combat ration from my previous in-camp....
    sorry bro Democritus,let me finish with bro 116520 first....Abang! you very the steady branja me combat ration somemore expired ones!!!

Comment

• Btw, what is Abang?

Originally posted by louie View Post
      sorry bro Democritus,let me finish with bro 116520 first....Abang! you very the steady branja me combat ration somemore expired ones!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 116520 View Post
        Btw, what is Abang?
        Brother in malayu...

Comment

• Bro, my malayu is PTE LTD.

Let's get back to PAM... if not triton will come and F us....

BTW, I believe most of the bros here should know this site but some might not know, very nice site for PAM info, check it out:

http://www.clubpanerai.com

Originally posted by louie View Post
          Brother in malayu...

Comment

• Originally posted by darth-khips View Post
            mate, dun be like that. this is exchange of views. there is no right or wrong opinions, just right or wrong facts.

i am more happy that you continue to contribute your horological knowledge. lets not make this personal. i would be more then happy to buy you a drink or meal, and listen to your opinions, serious. you definately know more about Panerai then me, becoz i am not a serious fan, i have not investigated pre V models, or even many current models, prob can learn more about individual models from you.
            i agree...let's keep this friendly...
            I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
            A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
            Audemars Piguet ROO
            Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
            De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
            Habring2 Pilot Time Date
            Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
            Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
            IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
            Panerai 270
            Patek Philippe 5711/1a
            Rolex 116610LV
            Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

• Originally posted by Democritus View Post
              Everyone chill and lets get on with more Pam discussion.

Seriously, the T dials on Pams are many times nicer than the T dials on Rolexes. Also, T dial Rolex does not enjoy premium over L dials as much as Pam's case. Funny right?

For me, I'll take a T over an L anytime but money no enough.
              Hope that this can cool down the heat. Very HOT leh.

Bro Democritus, T-dial for you?

Cheers
              Dino

Comment

• get lost

Originally posted by darth-khips View Post
                mate, dun be like that. this is exchange of views. there is no right or wrong opinions, just right or wrong facts.

i am more happy that you continue to contribute your horological knowledge. lets not make this personal. i would be more then happy to buy you a drink or meal, and listen to your opinions, serious. you definately know more about Panerai then me, becoz i am not a serious fan, i have not investigated pre V models, or even many current models, prob can learn more about individual models from you.
                Well I hate to say this.

Feel free do berate anyone at anytime.
                It's a free forum.
                Say watever you want.

You're expert man.
                I dun wish to share anything w u.
                Nor do I look forward to hear from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
                  Well I hate to say this.

It's a free forum.
                  Say watever you want.

You're expert man.
                  Fred, very strong words u using here. A forum is not a place to berate anyone. It is to share e love of e items and knowledge. Its not a place to say watever u want, tats wat e Mods here are for.

one advice: 'Live and let live'

Cheers.
                  "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

• Why got so pissed? Nothing is perfect... Peace man...

Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
                    Well I hate to say this.

It's a free forum.
                    Say watever you want.

You're expert man.

Comment

• Prices of any commodities is forcibly determined by the market - demand and supply.

While I am not taking sides of the prices ranges of Rolex or Panerai, in general, all watch companies in their establishing infant stages (should they want to be successful) will consider which entry price model to manufacture all the way up the pricier complications.

That said, a prevendome Panerai Ref. 5218-201/A was only 1500 EUR back in 1993, when Rolex lovers like you and I were thinking: "Who would want to wrist a clock the size of 44mm? Siao anot?" - many thought that way, those who had the sharp eye in predicting the "full-blown" scale of what 44mm and above sizes watches have impacted the horology market today will have made a ton considering a 201/A will cost in the price range of USD $ 35,000 - USD $ 40,000...some even asking 39,000 EUR. Go figure. Having said that, 201/A was produced in limited quanities...less than 1000 pieces worldwide.

Had Rolex gone the same route as their Double-Red / Single-Red Sea Dweller with less than 1000 pieces worldwide, there's no doubt that the prices of these Vintages will be off the top of the roof! Can some say realistically that it may cost $ 150,000 - $ 250,000 easily today? More perhaps, we will not know for this is a might-be-situation.

Panerai, having been bought over by Richemont group in 1997, went through a revamp in all areas. From their relocation of their Firenze, Florence factory right up to the marketing campaigns engaged with Sylvester Stallone in their Sly-Tech models offerings, I would say that Richemont was directing Officine Panerai in a profit-making direction, which would have happened slower if OP was still under Dino Zei. Panerai was officially staying in touch with the relevancy of other renowned watch brands, and getting stronger at it under Richemont.

Fast forward to today, Rolex has churned out the DeepSea Sea-Dweller, riding on the wave of big watches demand that Panerai, love it or hate it, has paved for the watch community worldwide. I am speaking from the perspectives and observations of the market reactions over the past 5 years.

Now, while I generally will not wrist any timepiece over 40mm (due to small wrists), I still have a couple of Panerai(s) under my belt - investments if you will. Prices have indeed jumped rapidly, especially with watch companies going to the extend of 2 price increases anually, this is evident that the market is still receptive to the brand.

We all have our limitations to what we can afford, utilize and waste. Let's not get personal in our comments towards what our current occupation is able to increase these limits. There can be a filthy rich tycoon who does not appreciate horology but wears a vintage Blancpain Fifty Fantoms not knowing the value of it since decades ago versus a corporate ladder-climbing executive who's exposed to all the watch brands, scrimping on every meal just to save pennies for a Rolex Sea Dweller, knowing well that this will be a worthwhile investment in the years to come. Interests play an underlying role into how we become attached to articles, particularly stainless steel encapsulating wonderous movements that will send cold and shivers up and down our spines, like how a Tudor Monte Carlo Ref 7032 in flesh (today) just did me.

In essence, there will never be price drops, and only price increases, if and only if the demand outstrips the supply which Panerai has been successful in doing by limiting supply on a yearly production basis. There will be minor fluctuations +/- like in any market, but chances are, in 10-20 years, whatever Panerai(s) out in the market will see double or triple jumps - that my friend is my prediction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
                        Well I hate to say this.

It's a free forum.
                        Say watever you want.

You're expert man.
                        i dun berate, so again with your nonsense accusation. check your dictionary, berate means "to scold", kind hightlight how i "scolded" you or anyone??and you dun have to share anything u dun want to. it is a free forum, you can share your opinion, but you have to be FACTUAL. and contrary to your "say whatever you want" attitude, this is a free but public forum, thus one has to be sensitive to others, as a matter of courtesy. when pointed out factual errors, and presented with it, you still refuse to recognize them, and still insist you are right, or rubbish other makes; or sidestep them.

i didnt realize this, until another forumer pointed out to me, that you have been selling quite a few PAMs, thus it is rather surprising that you opine that panerai prices can only head north, and still you are divesting. and thus the overdefensiveness.

nevertheless, an olive branch, if not tree is still extended to you.
                        It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
                        Alexander Pope

Comment

• Originally posted by louie View Post
                          okay lah bro, what about coffee o on me,lunch on you...
                          YAY! LOUIE BUY COFFEE AND LUNCH FOR EVERYONE ON THE FORUM!
                          "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                          three times is enemy action and
                          over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                          ."

Comment

• YAY!!! Sounds good! In return, we will wear our PAMs and let him molest them....

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                            YAY! LOUIE BUY COFFEE AND LUNCH FOR EVERYONE ON THE FORUM!

Comment

• Back to the topic....Panerai overpriced?

Of course it is.
                              But no one says it's cheap.

And, no one ask or force you to buy.

No money, can always buy other cheaper watches.
                              There're many brands out there with better quality, technology innovation, precision & workmanship than Panerai and lower price than Panerai.

Take Grand Seiko for example.
                              It's workmanship & innovation far surpass even PP and cost much much less.
                              Make to last >20 years without major servicing.
                              And severely over-engineered to last forever.

If you got more $, then buying a steel PP Nautilus Jumbos 5711, 5712, 5980 is more worth it now, given the 30% price drop recently.
                              Nautilus is the range that started off high horlogerie de gamme luxury sports watch in 1970s. (Rolex is not high-horlogerie, fyi)
                              With just 300 - 700 pieces made per year per model & waiting list of >8 years, it's worth every penny now & next generation.

5980/1A-001 is e most sought after stainless steel watch & e most expensive in-production steel watch.
                              This is followed by 5712/1A-001 & 5711/1A-001.

All other brands & models are just PP Nautilus wannabe....

Comment

• watch overprice will create more demand... value will increase also

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X