No announcement yet.

Panerai overpriced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it was something like Franck Muller and Abercrombie & Fitch in the 2000 when lots of HK stars were wearing it... they were not "endorsed" but somehow all of them were wearing it at the same time... ic ic...
    Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
    Big Sly was never a ambassador.
    He merely discovered the brand in 1994 and made 150 order of which he got less than 100.
    He's a fan. Never an elected or professed ambassador.
    Yes, thanks to his effort to give these watches away in 1995, the brand became public for 1st time.
    It was not till 1997 we got to see them on the shelves of AD.

Comment

• But you're right... not many watch can flip for a profit... ha ha... rolex, Pam, Patek... and ???

LOL

I flip lotsa PAM for profit.
      I'm biased.
      Don't listen to a word I said.

Comment

• Yes, I'm paid by Richemont

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post
        Aiya. darth-khips and Fred is same person. They are advertising for Panerai !

Yeah.... Panerai is one of the coolest watch to wear.
        Richemont must have paid me....
        LOL

Actually I use to hate Panerai till Aug 2007.
        Use to call it a fashion fad.

I use to be PP, AP & Rolex die-hard fan.

That's till one fine day in autumn of 07, I saw PAM113 on my frens wrist.
        The shape look good but good shape is not compelling enough....still not luv at 1st sight.
        I want home & do a little research and read posts in Paneristi forum the same nite.
        Pass mindnite the next day, I'm converted.

Called every AD in Thailand, KL, Spore, HK & Taiwan.
        Found only one Luminor after searching 30+ ADs, which is my 1st PAM, 104.
        Flew straight to a sub-urban area in outskirt Taipei and collected it.

I was in honeymoon period till my b4 my bd in Oct when I realized 104 is too noisy & not reflective of PAM heritage.
        In came 219J and I got the last unit that uses old roller on e crown guard & old OP embossed logo at the caseback.
        In honeymoon mood till before Xmas, it's not long b4 hand itchy again.
        When 217 was going for SGD34k, I found a BNIB 217 for SGD26.4 in a village in Switzerland.
        Off I flew again....landed in Zurich just to collect a watch & flew back in 3 hrs....whew.

BUT, e 217's 1950 case is so mesmerising.
        No 3800, 5711, 5712, 5980, EOD, T3 or BP had hooked me soo much.

Then early spring Mar 08, chance upon a prototype shadow 56, flew straight to LA and begged the collector at his front door....
        Honeymoon again.....

Had a break for almost a year till CNY this yr when I got e 127.

Every collector / flipper in my case has story.
        The day u got introduce to this brand is different.
        U remember every second of it.
        The adventures u go thru to get each PAM make it so memorable & b4 u know it, u r itching for another PAM located far far away.

I think if I could get any watch easily off-e-shelf in any AD, I wouldn't be soo hooked.

I can eat nothing but just beehoon w soy sauce, dump my gf, sell my car, take bus, walk, sell my HDB, rent a small room, dun go out, stay at home & take just MRT for mths to get a PAM...

I think I'm only person who has 3 big electrical drybox...

I dun think I'll do that for other watches.

Comment

• Wow... I am surprised that you started "late" but become so "crazy" over Pam. I got my 1st Pam in 2000 but owned only one till now... ha ha...

LOL

The shape look good but good shape is not compelling enough....still not luv at 1st sight.
          I want home & do a little research and read posts in Paneristi forum the same nite.

I was in honeymoon period till my b4 my bd in Oct when I realized 104 is too noisy & not reflective of PAM heritage.
          In came 219J and I got the last unit that uses old roller on e crown guard & old OP embossed logo at the caseback.
          When 217 was going for SGD34k, I found a BNIB 217 for SGD26.4 in a village in Switzerland.
          Off I flew again....landed in Zurich just to collect a watch & flew back in 3 hrs....whew.

Then early spring Mar 08, chance upon a prototype shadow 56, flew straight to LA and begged the collector at his front door....
          Honeymoon again.....

The adventures u go thru to get each PAM make it so memorable & b4 u know it, u r itching for another PAM located far far away.

I think if I could get any watch easily off-e-shelf in any AD, I wouldn't be soo hooked.

I can eat nothing but just beehoon w soy sauce, dump my gf, sell my car, take bus, walk, sell my HDB, rent a small room, dun go out, stay at home & take just MRT for mths to get a PAM...

Comment

• i wish I started earlier

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
            Wow... I am surprised that you started "late" but become so "crazy" over Pam. I got my 1st Pam in 2000 but owned only one till now... ha ha...
            1998 should be good...PAM1, 2, 4, 9, 22, 26, 36, ......

Comment

• Fred, really enjoyed reading your posts! Esp the last post,like reading a short story.. I have seen ppl like you,and i almost done the same thing for a BNIB 233 afew months ago...deal didnt go through. I book air ticket/hotel room in HK planning to pickup the watch over the weekeneds..Than seller replied email changed mind,no longer wanna sell!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
                He merely discovered the brand in 1994 and made 150 order of which he got less than 100.
                Yes, thanks to his effort to give these watches away in 1995, the brand became public for 1st time.
                yes, Sly discovered the brand, and commissioned 150 pieces for his freinds, but there was also several limited 500 pieces SLYTECH edition bearing Sly signature on the back case.

point is, Panerai DO SPONSOR SEVERAL EVENTS, THUS THEY ARE NOT IMUNE TO SPONSORSHIP AND ASSOCIATED MARKETING.
                It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
                Alexander Pope

Comment

LOL

Honeymoon again.....

the trials and rewards of the horological pursuit. i wasnt as loyal as you to one make, but essentially went thru roughly similar route. i havent sold any PAMs though
                  It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
                  Alexander Pope

Comment

3 Regatta per year & 1 expedition is not a major mart drive.
                    It pales in comparison to front page ads on every dailies and 2nd page ads on every known lifestyle, fashion & politics magazines that PP & Rolex do since 1950s.
                    And it pales in again to every single PGA that Rolex sponsor since 1960s...

Maybe Panerai is not big enough not does it have the resource to do so...

But, do we seriously think Panerai need mart?
                    mate, Panerai is part of the Richemont giant, how possible no resources??!!

and i agree that other makes, esp Rolex makes sponsorships and endorsement a big marketing tool.
                    Alexander Pope

Comment

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show...ost/ti-458701/

wanna take a look at pre-V marketing literature from Panerai??
                      Alexander Pope

Comment

• Another question Fred, if Big Sly was never a ambassador, why his name was on the back of those watches?

I am sure Pam did pay him some $$$ for that....

Comment

• Originally posted by Of Watches & Men View Post
                          To a certain extent, I prescribe to Fred's views. We, as watch collectors must know what we are buying... or for that matter, selling.

I do not doubt his sincerity in airing his views. Come on, no insincere guy would spend at least 30min typing the long post which he did, not to mention digging some horology background

Well as I have mentioned previously, some of us like carrot and others radish. Whatever our preference for watches, we hold them close to our hearts. But equally, we can and should appreciate others' preferences.

Agrument over Panerai or Rolex? I don't care a bit... Likewise I can't be bothered over the re-sale values or what position the brands hold in the industry. True, collectors and sellers have different objectives, and we should recognise this.

I love the watch if it looks pleasing on my wrist. Simple as that.

Cheers
                          Yes, watch collecting can be as simple as ABC. Just love the look of the watch on your wrist, be it big or small, thick or thin

Dino

Comment

Woah fred, you take aeroplane like I take mrt .... P for Power!
                            Given how deeply you are poisoned, I find it unbelieveable that you have not started eyeing the Pre-V, the vintages yet...
                            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                            three times is enemy action and
                            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                            ."

Comment

• Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                              Another question Fred, if Big Sly was never a ambassador, why his name was on the back of those watches?

I am sure Pam did pay him some $$$ for that....
                              Unlike AP's Shaq, Arnold All Star, T3, EOD, Alinghi, Barrachelos, Montoya & Kill Bill, Slytech & Daylight were never promoted by Sly himself.
                              Sly never attended or launch or host or become any ambassador or took part in any event related to these 2 group of watches.

Whereas in Shaq, Arnold All Star, T3, EOD, Alinghi, Barrachelos, Montoya & Kill Bill, u c the people it's name after promoting & launching the watches & event openly.

Panerai merely got Sly's permission to put up his signature as a mark of thanks & gratitude for Sly effort in 1994 & 5 to introduce this brand in USA

In fact for all of Sly's movie like Daylight & RAMBO, he worn Panerai watches as a private owner and there's no mention of the watch brand or model or any promotion or launches related to Sly himself.

This is the same for Jason Statham in the Transporter trilogy & Italian Job, Governator in Eraser, Steven Seagal in Exit Wounds, High Grant in Bridget Jones' Diary & Two Weeks Notice, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in Run Down, Josh Hartnett in Hollywood Homicide.

None of these actors got any mention by Panerai nor were Panerai mentioned in any movie mart, ads, product placement nor promoted during movie premieres or launches or show-case.

This is totally difference from TAG Heuer in Bourne Ultimatum, Supremacy & Identity, Omega in later James Bond, Rolex in early James Bond, AP ROO in Kill Bill, T3 & EOD where watches are sold shamelessly during movie premier in Nice & LA.

Panerai has never elect any ambassador officially or unofficialy.

My guess is the mart people in Richemont, Vendome in 1997-1998 & Panerai beofre 1997 figured that the more u advertise your product, the more 'pariah" it will become.

Just ask yourself if you'ld buy the 007 series Speedmaster.
                              Will you buy a Kill Bill ROO?
                              How about TAG Link Chrono that's worn by Jason Bourne in Bourne trilogys?
                              Just look at modern Daylight models from Panerai..... no one wants it.
                              This even affected Panerai.
                              That's y u never see star appeal being used by the mart ppl there no more.

These days, the more you mart, the worst it become.
                              Sincerely speaking, young ppl nowdays r looking for uniqueness & individuality.

This translate into Rolex losing luxury mart share from 80% in 1980s to just 10% today.

The very reason why PP, AP & OP sells is not because of glamour, recognition or value, rather it's individuality thru millesimation (read limited number of watches per model).

Gone r the days where our fathers have no qualms to wear e same watches w e same colour & same model to a wedding dinner.

These days, ppl want to be special....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ender View Post
                                Woah fred, you take aeroplane like I take mrt .... P for Power!
                                Given how deeply you are poisoned, I find it unbelieveable that you have not started eyeing the Pre-V, the vintages yet...
                                I was still in school lar during that time. Only have enouf for Maggi.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X