Enquiry on Winders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enquiry on Winders

before you embark on your journey to look for winders, you need to ask yourself some questions. do you believe that constant winding will cause the watch movement to be worn out faster? if you believe so, then don't get a watch winder. otherwise, you can consider getting a watch winder.

there are many different brands watch winder available in the market. you can either go to a brick and mortar shop such as THG, Sincere, Red Army Watches, Precious Time, so even smaller independent shops to get them.

what do you need to look for in a winder? first and foremost, get one which comes with a cover. this is to prevent dust from settling on your watch if u leave there for a period more than 42 hours which is normal power reserve for most automatic watches.

do you want your winder to be battery operated and/or dc power operated. for brands like eilux single winder, it can be operated by either of the choice but their triple winders can ONLY be operated by dc power.

how many winders do you need? if you got 2 watches, get 1 winder with 1 rotor is enough so that you can wind one up while you wearing another, usually i would recommend the number of ROTORS required as total number of watches -1. however, if you got like 10 watches, do you want 9 rotors? you need to ask yourself then.

watch winders usually comes with different number of rotors. some watch winders allow you to set direction only but not turns per day (TPD). some watch winders allow you to set both direction and TPD. hence it is important to note your needs.

for those who want to buy a winder that can wind 2 watches simultaneously, you need to be careful. first both the watches must be using the same direction and TPD. this is important. Otherwise, your watch movement may be damaged. furthermore you need to take note of th distance between the holder of the watch. if you got both watches @ 44mm and the gap is barely 5cm apart, you may have problem mounting the watch into the slot. another consideration is that if you only place one watch on the dual slot rotor, will it cause an imbalance and the watch fall out of place.

what brands should you look for? what is your budget? there are many brands out there, some can be purchase locally, while others can be purchased online. if you purchase overseas, do note of the warranty issues and shipping issues should you need to get your winder fix. however, there are local repairs who may charge you a higher fees for servicing. so do your homework before you make a decision to get one from overseas. if you purchase online, do consider whether the winder can be serviced locally if the set does not have a local presence.

also the brand of the watch winder should have a table to tell you which brand and model uses which direction and number of TPD. though all winders should technically have about the same TPD but the angle of the rotor will affect the number TPD available.

some watch winders url -

eilux
    orbita
    rapport

Article on Winder part I
    Article on Winder part II
    Last edited by triton; 06-04-09, 10:46 PM.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

hmm... i am cautious about using a cheap winder ...
    may overwind the watch.

also, one shop here showed me a Wolf winder vs a Rapport... the diff. is that the band has got to be smaller to be used well on the cheaper winder, or you will end up squeezing it in which is not good...

who sells orbita here?

Comment

a good entry level winder is eilux......made in HK.....can wind cw/ccw/both directions......
      but cannot adjust number of turns per day.....i think the factory setting is about 850 tpd......ok lah....not excessive so wont overwind......red army watches, visio time and sincere selling......

orbita of cos nice...but expensive.......can adjust number of turns per day for higher end models....

rapport looks nice and is a UK product....but cannot adjust tpd......and i think the stock setting is more than 1000 tpd......so that's something to note....

there is this taiwan made winder...brand is A Best.....can be found here......individual settings for each head..........looks good and not expensive at all.......http://www.thewatchprince.com/watch-...t-watch-winder

at first quite ex....sales not that good......now with discount out of stock haha......but at us$135 for a 3 head winder......not bad....

of the high end winders....i think orbita is the best buy.......somewhat better than underwood and scatola (super expensive)....

and the other end will be MIC winders.....lucky u get a good sample works like gem......unlucky get a lemon...........that's why some ppl say very good yet some fail within days/weeks......
      the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
      visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

rapport - jw watch.....great eastern building

eilux - visio time, red army watches, sincere

orbita & underwood - cortina, hour glass and sincere

wolf - jw watch and a few others...
        visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

i dun recommend buying rapport cos the fixed tpd is too high.......u can tune it down if you use a timer to limit the number of hours of operation....

Comment

http://www.steinhausenovernight.com/...ers/TM544A.htm

Comment

wonder this pro watch maker tools. watch winder will work good. somemore cheaper thn those double or triple winder.

Comment

these type of winders mostly used by shops rather than consumers.......and they are usually mounted on the wall........

more of a industrial-looking instrument than an elegant watch storage/winder.....so long it works why not haha......

if u like this kinda look.....can also look at MTE.....
                http://www.watch-tool.de/shop.php

Comment

Originally posted by ohlins View Post
                  these type of winders mostly used by shops rather than consumers.......and they are usually mounted on the wall........

more of a industrial-looking instrument than an elegant watch storage/winder.....so long it works why not haha......

if u like this kinda look.....can also look at MTE.....
                  http://www.watch-tool.de/shop.php
                  later go check the watch tool. de website leh.

i check some. US$550 only .. not bad leh, put the whole thing in cabinet. somemore PROFESSIONAL USE 1, should be good leh ... hahaa

http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewite...Range=0x999999

http://www.watchpart.net/ProductInfo...productid=5802

much cheaper thn those double/ triple 1.

Comment

just got myself 2 of these winders...

silent.... and cheap.

plastic.... but still looks ok...

4 timer settings.... 2 oscillating movements

Rolex GMT Master 1675 16750 16760 16700
                    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
                    Submariner 16610LV 16613
                    Patek Aquanaut 5165A

Comment

Didnt know we have a thread on winders ! Well, here's a cheap and good one of mine

Runs on both AC and DC (4 x AAs). Very very silent and watches seems to keep decent time on it. Amazing quality piece made in China.
                      sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

Originally posted by triton
                        4 timer settings = different TPDS?

2 oscillating movements = clockwise and anti-clockwise?

can elaborate a little on the timer settings and oscillating movements pls. thanks.
                        1. timer function:
                        a) auto rotate 33 secs, rest 12 mins
                        b) auto rotate 10 mins, rest 90 mins
                        c) auto rotate 30 mins, rest 3 hrs
                        d) auto rotate 01 hrs, rest 3 hrs

2. oscillating movements:
                        a) clockwise
                        b) anti-clockwise
                        c) auto
                        Rolex GMT Master 1675 16750 16760 16700
                        Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
                        Submariner 16610LV 16613
                        Patek Aquanaut 5165A

Comment

US$9.99 + US$15 (UPS to my VpostUSA address) and another S$30 to bring it back from US to Sg.

Also, a tip for those looking for decent affordable winders, u cant find them in Singapore. Local dealers jack up even those affordable winders to some unaffordable prices. Take a trip to HK and buy direct. Got my ERS double watch winder (pic below, quality piece using Japanese motor, dead silent) for S$300+

Originally posted by marineguy8888
                          Price ??
                          Last edited by sys12345; 13-02-08, 08:08 PM.
                          sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

Is it true that watch winder also prevents external damage or oil thickening in the watches workings after long periods with no movement? And why need clockwise or anticlockwise and interval resting periods? Watch will be overwound and get damaged?

If so, won’t they wear out the gearings over long period?

Comment

DIY Winders Anyone ?

DIY Winders for the brave Anyone ?

http://showcase.netins.net/web/patri...%20Winder.html

http://www.geocities.com/dbfritts200...tch_Winder.htm

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=303718
                              1675/16610/116234/78240
                              Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
                              Hublot BB ASF
                              PAM 104J
                              Sinn 903 H2
                              Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
                              U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
                              If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X