Interested in a watch winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in a watch winder

Hi guys, im currently looking at getting a single watch winder. I notice there a superbly cheap ones and superbly expensive one. I have read a bit and so far the difference i found were cheap ones being noisy and spoils fast. What should i look at when getting a watch winder, some have clockwise and counterclockwise, how many turns all that isit really necessary? Currently im looking at getting the SPIN-R which cost around 300 for a single watch wider. it looks great and seems to have some neat features. Any comments and recommendation?

just a quick answer.

all watches requires different types of direction of winding and turns per day aka tpd.

it is therefore important that you are able to set these 2 features. why? turning the wrong direction may result in inaccuracy of watch and some other issues. not enough turns will result in inaccuracy of the watch, which is not as bad as over-winding a watch.

though most automatic are equipped with the slipping clutch mechanism which prevents a watch from being over wound. however, prolong and constant use of the slipping clutch mechanism may result in early wear and tear of the mechanism itself and hence once broken, it wont stop the watch from being over wound.

for example, most rolex requires about 650 TPD and bi-directional. some winders are known to have above 650 TPD to accommodate watches which requires higher TPD.

as for how many turns per day is required by a particular watch, you may want to check out orbita website watch database. they have a comprehensive database and i have only check some of the popular watch models from its database and its matches that is recommended by the brand technicians.

good luck. if you need more assistance, drop me a sms. can discuss more.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i wonder about magnetism that comes with watch winders... i have an (possibly wrong) opinion that the more expensive ones are better "shielded" from it but i could be wrong.

there's a resident watch winder expert. he may chime in when he's free...! personally i have only used a watch winder once and it was for a perpetual calendar watch.

when i sold it i gave the winder to my brother who used it for his seiko.

i manually wind my watches i don't wear every few weeks.
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
        i wonder about magnetism that comes with watch winders... i have an (possibly wrong) opinion that the more expensive ones are better "shielded" from it but i could be wrong.

there's a resident watch winder expert. he may chime in when he's free...! personally i have only used a watch winder once and it was for a perpetual calendar watch.

when i sold it i gave the winder to my brother who used it for his seiko.

i manually wind my watches i don't wear every few weeks.
        The only magnet that I know come from the DC motor which by itself are shielded by it own metal chasis. Other than that are all electronic components. Just my tot.

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
          The only magnet that I know come from the DC motor which by itself are shielded by it own metal chasis. Other than that are all electronic components. Just my tot.
          i guess my question to the expert(s) is: how well shielded is that motor assembly (cheap vs expensive winders) and do the electrical cables going from the power adaptor to the motor generate enough magnetism to affect a normal watch (ie, without anti-mag hairsprings/balance) over time?

as i don't have any type of magnetic measurement device, i cannot confirm this, but i know there is some amount of magnetism around all electrical devices but usually in small amounts.

my hypothesis is that if we place a watch near something that constantly produces a magnetic field (no matter how small), would the watch not become magnetized over time?
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Magnetism in Watch Winders

As you know, a watch winder has a motor that will rotate a watch. These motors generate some EMF (Electro Magnetic Force) when in operation. However, this EMF is very minute.

EMF can be considered in Lorentz Force or Maxwell’s theory. Google it.

Most winders in today’s market, even the ‘budget’ kind, will not harm or magnetize your watch. It is an accidental “design-in” feature and has also something to do with the distance of the motor placement. The Eilux winder is a good example. Do refer to the DIY Section.

Simple test: Place a compass in front of the rotating drum, where your watch sits. Hold it there while our watch rotates and see if the needle points a different direction.

Instead of worrying about magnetism, I suggest you worry about the TPD a winder delivers. This is the real problem!

cheers
            Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
            • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
            • Montre de MarQue
            • Etoile D'Or
            • Hotel Indonesia
            • Glory Time
            • The Watch-Collector
            • Time Palace
            • The Swiss Connection
            • M Baker
            • Maurice Lacroix
            • Time Marques
            • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

if the TPD is too high, is one way around this to use a timer, ie. use it for 8hrs, instead of the full 24hrs.

or is the frequency of the turn excessive for the watch?

hope im making sense here.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X