No announcement yet.

Watch winder or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did some research on this before too, and you're right, i think using a watch winder regularly results in wear and tear, most watch collectors who don't use a single watch regularly seem prefer to just let their automatic watches stop, and just set it to the right time before they wear it. its a bit of a hassle, especially if you have to set date, day and time. but then spending a minute to set your watch vs letting it work all the time when you're not using it...

Comment

Hi,
      Do you have some evidences or research paper to show that regular used of winder results in wear & tear? As this is very important info for all watch collector to have. Please share?

Originally posted by sparklingsoda View Post
      i did some research on this before too, and you're right, i think using a watch winder regularly results in wear and tear, most watch collectors who don't use a single watch regularly seem prefer to just let their automatic watches stop, and just set it to the right time before they wear it. its a bit of a hassle, especially if you have to set date, day and time. but then spending a minute to set your watch vs letting it work all the time when you're not using it...

Comment

why is it very important for all collector?
        what if the collector dont use a winder, still consider important?

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
        Hi,
        Do you have some evidences or research paper to show that regular used of winder results in wear & tear? As this is very important info for all watch collector to have. Please share?

Comment

i don't have any studies or research to back me up but just two cents worth of opinion just like a car if we buy used we want low mileage. reason being low mileage = low usage = low wear and tear = can last longer. mechanical watches had lots of rotating parts. so u run these parts 24/7 compare to run one week stop week which will last longer?

Comment

oh, it is my mistake to make such assumption that all collector will be interested in knowing the truth whether a winder will accelerate the wear & tear of a watch. If i have cause you much discomfort, please excuse me.

So let me start all over again.

Hi sparklingsoda,
            I'm deeply interested in your research regarding the use of winder will cause wear & tear to a watch. As I have a few watches in the winder at the moment and if your research is true I will be greatly in your debt. Just imagine the cost i would have to pay for the repair down the road. Your sharing will be much appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by jupar View Post
            why is it very important for all collector?
            what if the collector dont use a winder, still consider important?

Comment

Comment

Hi Larry Bird,
                come on give your friend (sparklingsoda) a chance to comment. You know, you are doing a disfavour to sparklingsoda without giving him a chance to share his hard work and I don't think you want to discredit his statement also. As a responsible person (unless he is a clone) he should be able to clarify himself and stand to questions regarding his own statements.

Beside that, giving misleading info in sgroc is a no no. So as a friend we should help them to clarify before he get into trouble with the mod.
                5. please feel free to post and seek advice on matters which you like to know. you are also strongly encouraged to use the search function to find out more on the topic you are interested in prior to posting a thread.
                6. Posting of misleading information is strictly prohibited. Any member who commit such an act will be dealt with accordingly without prejudice by administrators and/or moderators.

So let us not steal spraklingsoda thunder by not giving him the opportunity to speak. This is not to much to ask right?
                Originally posted by Larry Bird View Post

Comment

I believe most of us place our precious watches in the watch winder when we are not wearing it, its like having a few cars and in the long term if you don't use the car, you might have difficulties starting the engine

Comment

"... most of us place our precious watches in the watch winder ..."

I beg to differ.

"... having a few cars and in the long term if you don't use the car, ..."

I can imagine keeping all my cars' engines on even after using it for a day or two, and not switching it off until the engines wear down?
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

One thing for sure..if u own a watch with perpetual calendar complication..u will definitely need a winder.

Comment

watch winder is good for those who have less wrist time and to avoid wearing off the crown screw thread.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great information.

Comment

I don't believe in watch winders.
                            Just like most mechanical parts, perpetual motion can wear out parts prematurely.

Comment

By all means get a watch wonder if you can afford it. I personally do not see the need for one.

Comment

Not sure about wear and tear on the movement in a winder vs just in a watch case, but I have to admit it is really practical if you rotate more than 3 automatics in a week - you dont have to waste time setting the time/date and there is no unnecessary wear on a screw down crown.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X