No announcement yet.

Watch winder or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh one way that I have been using to try to "beat" (or rather minimise) the wear & tear thingy is to use a timer!

I set my timer (those you connect to the power point) for the winder to run only for about 8 hours every night. Hence, every night around 12mn, the winder will start and by 8 in the morning, it will stop. This way, it keeps the watch moving but minimises the wear and tear factor compare to leaving the winder to wind your precious gems the whole day. The latter will wear out your parts much faster! This way, we can have the best of both world.

Comment

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post
      Oh one way that I have been using to try to "beat" (or rather minimise) the wear & tear thingy is to use a timer!

I set my timer (those you connect to the power point) for the winder to run only for about 8 hours every night. Hence, every night around 12mn, the winder will start and by 8 in the morning, it will stop. This way, it keeps the watch moving but minimises the wear and tear factor compare to leaving the winder to wind your precious gems the whole day. The latter will wear out your parts much faster! This way, we can have the best of both world.

after reading so much make me a little blur... your post make sense..

hahaha shall try the same way as u..

thanks for sharing!

Comment

Have a newbie question. I just started to use winder couple of months ago. I realize my Rolex sd is getting slower in time by 5mins after a week or so. Is my Rolex still keeping good time? Btw it's a 2005 Rolex and never service before. Is it means it's due to service.? Any bros here encounter the same issue?

Comment

I reckon even if you do not have watches with complications like perpetual calendar, it also makes sense if you have quite a number of watches. i personally do not own any watches with major complication like a perpetual calendar. but i do find it useful to have a winder that's easy to use as I do not need to keep winding my watches and are ready whenever I wanna use them. It also helps to keep them running every now and then. especially I do not use some of them over long periods of time.
          I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
          http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

this method only works to certain extent. because by the end of the 4th cycle, before the start of 5th cycle, there is no power reserve left in the watch.

i put forth a simple calculation which is simple enough (i hope). on assumption that the power reserve of a watch is 42 hours and is at full power reserve when the watch is place on the winder based on a 8 hours working cycle. watch is kept on winder constantly for the next 4 cycles or days

cycle 1 : 42-16(watch power reserve winding down)+8(power reserve goes up when is wound) = 34 hours of power left
            cycle 2 : 34-16+8 =26
            cycle 3 : 26-16+8=18
            cycle 4 : 18-16+8=10
            cycle 5 : 10-16= -6 hours

notice that somewhere after the 4th cycle the watch will not have enough power reserve.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

rolex COSC standard is -4/+6, which is it falls outside COSC standards.

to me, it is not keeping good time.

i would suggest to get the watch regulated first and see how it performs before sending in for a service.

just make sure your watch is not magnetized and that the watch is not placed near any objects that can cause the watch to 'malfunction'

Originally posted by klodder View Post
              Have a newbie question. I just started to use winder couple of months ago. I realize my Rolex sd is getting slower in time by 5mins after a week or so. Is my Rolex still keeping good time? Btw it's a 2005 Rolex and never service before. Is it means it's due to service.? Any bros here encounter the same issue?
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
              2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                rolex COSC standard is -4/+6, which is it falls outside COSC standards.

to me, it is not keeping good time.

i would suggest to get the watch regulated first and see how it performs before sending in for a service.

just make sure your watch is not magnetized and that the watch is not placed near any objects that can cause the watch to 'malfunction'
                Thanks for ur advise. Another question what u mean by regulated the watch? It's means that I should not use winder and monitor its timing keeping? Thanks

Comment

there is a subtle difference between getting the watch regulated and regulated the watch.

the former means adjusting one of the component in the watch so that the watch will keep to good time. most mechanical watches have a buffer + to - to adjust the 'time' more accurately.

the latter means the watch has already been through the adjustment process.

i would suggest you bring your watch to RSC or any trusted 3rd party watch technician and inform that your watch is not keeping good time. they will then likely place your watch on a timegrapher like this

then they will be able to adjust the time so that it falls within specification.

if you choose not not bring it to a watch technician, you can place your watch in the winder and move the winder to a place with minimal electronic device nearby. if the timing is still off, it is better to send in for service.

also you mentioned that your watch has not been serviced for a long time. it could be the reason for watch not keeping good time.

there are several reasons why a watch does not keep good time. therefore it is up to you if you want to bring in for a service and/or check

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  Originally posted by klodder View Post
                  Thanks for ur advise. Another question what u mean by regulated the watch? It's means that I should not use winder and monitor its timing keeping? Thanks

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

where did you get the timegrapher from, bro? khatena? how much does one cost? right now very pai seh always have to trouble a friend to use his to check my watches.
                    I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
                    http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

Bro, does your winder have a turn & rest sequence? May I know what's the sequence like?

Becuz if the winder just turns with the rest in-between then...
                      (assume the motor rpm (revolutions per minute) is 7/mnt)

1minute = 7turns
                      1hr = 420turns
                      8hrs = 3360turns

Your watch will have excess turns liao!
                      Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                      • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                      • Montre de MarQue
                      • Etoile D'Or
                      • Hotel Indonesia
                      • Glory Time
                      • The Watch-Collector
                      • Time Palace
                      • The Swiss Connection
                      • M Baker
                      • Maurice Lacroix
                      • Time Marques
                      • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

your calculations do not take into considerations of any rest/sleep cycle. i doubt is the case of any watch winder.

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
                        Bro, does your winder have a turn & rest sequence? May I know what's the sequence like?

Becuz if the winder just turns with the rest in-between then...
                        (assume the motor rpm (revolutions per minute) is 7/mnt)

1minute = 7turns
                        1hr = 420turns
                        8hrs = 3360turns

Your watch will have excess turns liao!

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Will it overwork the automatic mechanism?

Comment

any collectors here that dont use winders and have their collections still working after say a period of time? Currently, thinking if it is worth it to invest in a winder

Comment

This is an age old discussion topic which you will never get any satisfactory answers. Believe me I have tried .

A collector who don't use a winder, doesn't mean he won't wind his watches manually. Beside, I don't think you will find a collector who doesn't wind his watch or watches at all.

A winder is for convenient and also act as a showcase to display your beautiful collections for all to see.

Please do not let me stop you from getting any winders and by the way I have 5 single pod winders.

Originally posted by jedithy View Post
                              any collectors here that dont use winders and have their collections still working after say a period of time? Currently, thinking if it is worth it to invest in a winder

Comment

Thanks for your view. So do you constantly wind it to keep it going if doing it manually? Or just let it run for a day and rest for a week or so. I rarely wear my Pam 312 and wish to keep it the best condition manually.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X