No announcement yet.

Buying NEW from AD or BNIB from Shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying NEW from AD or BNIB from Shops?

I realized that some of you like to buy from AD while I was told it is cheaper to buy from some smaller retailer. Why strikes me to buy from retailer is the price! They are lower in price.

Why are they cheaper?
    Will RSC service those watches at a higher premium?
    Does BNIB watches supplied local or from oversea?
    Cheaper is better but what possible problem will I encountered within the 2 years warranty?

Waiting to heard your opinion soon! Thanks in advance!

Cheers

My understanding is the servicing charges are the same as long as the watch is genuine (although I have not serviced any of my Rolexes yet). If not, RSC will simply refuse to service the watch. There are a few other threads on this forum discussing the issue you raised.

Whether you want to buy from a local or overseas AD, or from a grey market dealer is more a matter of preference. For the latter, gd to go to a more reliable seller. The saying has always been "buy the seller, not the watch".

Comment

there are smaller retailer who get their watches from other countries either themselves or through someone.

they are cheaper because coming from overseas, there is the possibility of a cheaper purchasing price due to currency exchange. there is also the possibility to claim back the tax. do remember that when you purchase locally, you need to pay GST.

RSC will service ALL authentic rolex watches.

Local AD get them locally. Smaller retailer more likely get them from overseas. However, it is also possible that the watches are from local market.

Cheaper need not necessary be better. why? if u r just purchasing couple of watches, then it is likely u get from PI/gray dealers. if you are purchasing more than 2-3 watches of various brands, you may want to get from AD. reason is that if you build a relationship with AD, you can get better discount for the subsequent purchases. do remember not all brands of watches are sold cheaper than local AD.

i have not know/heard any rolex breaking down due to its movement within the first 2 years.

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
      I realized that some of you like to buy from AD while I was told it is cheaper to buy from some smaller retailer. Why strikes me to buy from retailer is the price! They are lower in price.

Why are they cheaper?
      Will RSC service those watches at a higher premium?
      Does BNIB watches supplied local or from oversea?
      Cheaper is better but what possible problem will I encountered within the 2 years warranty?

Waiting to heard your opinion soon! Thanks in advance!

Cheers
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

BNIB sellers Vs Shops

I am just wondering if there is a HUGE price difference buying from people/normal watch shops selling BNIB Rolexes or buying from shops like, say, The Hour Glass?

Comment

Not hard to find out, just do a search on the garage to check out the prices and you go down to Hour Glass and check the price of that particular model. You will know why so many people choose to buy from the garage.

Cheers

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

That's obvious. Shops charge GST and for certain popular models, they either sell at premiums or reserve for their regulars. Usually, buying from people or preowned shops are cheaper, but there is always the sense of "trust", unless you are very familiar with them. The price difference is definitely lower, otherwise, should buy from ADs as the watches are confirmed genuine.

Comment

even if i am familiar with them. i will still exercise caution and bring it to authentic no matter if it is private seller/ preown shop. why? anything can happen, the issue may not lie with the private sellers/dealers and/or preown shops.

for additional of ~107 @ RSC, i can have a peace of mind.

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
              That's obvious. Shops charge GST and for certain popular models, they either sell at premiums or reserve for their regulars. Usually, buying from people or preowned shops are cheaper, but there is always the sense of "trust", unless you are very familiar with them. The price difference is definitely lower, otherwise, should buy from ADs as the watches are confirmed genuine.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

difference in price between gray market dealers (usually individuals, some shops as well) and rolex ADs for bnib rolex is ~10%
                eg rolex AD can give up to 5-15% discount, but gray market sellers can give up to 15 to 25% off MSRP (usually TT or datejust models can get 25% discount, but SS sports models lesser discount maybe 15%)

this is because gray sellers usually get their stock from europe whereby 15% VAT rebate is common (on top of AD discounts)
                and they do not have overhead such as rental, wages, etc (referring to individual gray sellers without shops)
                hence they are able to pass these 'savings' to the buyers

only minus point is worry that the watches are fake or partially fake
                hence to be safe, better to spend some money to let rolex center authenticate before paying the gray dealers in full amount

but in the process of doing so, the bnib watch may be scratched due to handling (especially at lugs and bracelet, sometimes casing and even bezel).. there should be a written agreement between seller and buyer on how to deal with such situations - usually the buyer should still pay in full after rolex center authenticate to be 100% genuine, even if the staff scratched the watch during authentication; or if the buyer back out after authentication and scratches occurred, the seller should be able to 'makan' the deposit (usually 10% of selling price) to compensate his losses

in any case, deal or no deal, the buyer will foot the rolex center authentication bill - unless if the watch is found to be fake or partially fake
                in this case seller foot the bill

Originally posted by cnconline View Post
                I am just wondering if there is a HUGE price difference buying from people/normal watch shops selling BNIB Rolexes or buying from shops like, say, The Hour Glass?
                Last edited by skydweller_sg; 13-11-12, 12:14 PM.

Comment

There is not going to be a HUGE difference between private sellers and AD.
                  The difference will only be like 5-15% difference depending on models.
                  If you are looking for a HUGE difference, it might never happen.
                  If you don‘t trust the seller or grey AD or preown shop, bring the watch to RSC for verification.
                  Verification cost only $107.
                  If you feel 10% is too little of a saving, than goto AD to buy, I got no objection.

Comment

people here sell BNIB is cheaper than you buy from shop. some popular models u r looking might be out of stock in shops or selling at premium but u might be able to find it from grey dealers here. but it all depends. its good to do some leg and hand work.

Comment

Hmmm..interesting. So basically I can expect slightly cheaper prices from grey market sellers than AD. But I have to go RSC to authenticate.

Comment

Hi, what about warranty from overseas AD? Any issues?

Comment

Originally posted by cnconline View Post
                          Hmmm..interesting. So basically I can expect slightly cheaper prices from grey market sellers than AD. But I have to go RSC to authenticate.
                          yes. can say so. thats y i ask u to do some hand and leg work before buying.

some pple here dont do authentication. imo RSC authentication is pointless..

Comment

Originally posted by Zhi_Peng View Post
                            yes. can say so. thats y i ask u to do some hand and leg work before buying.

some pple here dont do authentication. imo RSC authentication is pointless..

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/99370-...lack-and-white
                            charge $107 and yet don't "dare" to put it in B&W it's genuine. What if some fakes are so good that RSC missed it?
                            What if they didn't even do a proper check?

After all it cost a grand or so, I would rather have that peace of mind getting from local AD. (personal opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by lufu View Post
                              http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/99370-...lack-and-white
                              charge $107 and yet don't "dare" to put it in B&W it's genuine. What if some fakes are so good that RSC missed it?
                              What if they didn't even do a proper check?

After all it cost a grand or so, I would rather have that peace of mind getting from local AD. (personal opinion)
                              Depends on individual. Some trust AD more than Rolex.
                              Some feel buying Rolex should trust the watch maker only, not even the AD.
                              Example, are you buying a Hour Glass watch or a Rolex watch.
                              There is no such thing as fake is made until so good, the movement can‘t be the same for fake.
                              The fake company if can produce so good movement watch, they can open their own watch brand.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X