Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any restriction in manually winding a Rolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by god2send View Post
      Hmmm....May i know what is the reasons on mentioned restriction?
      please share...i have been winding, changing date, changing time ignorantly w/o knowing those restriction.
      Same here. I try to follow the advise of others here though without knowing the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by god2send View Post
        Hmmm....May i know what is the reasons on mentioned restriction?
        please share...i have been winding, changing date, changing time ignorantly w/o knowing those restriction.
        Originally posted by alex_ View Post
        Same here. I try to follow the advise of others here though without knowing the reason.
        i assume these questions were not because of my post.

the date change mechanism of an ETA movement is different from a rolex.

simply put - in a rolex movement, no gears are "engaged" in preparation for date flip.

this is not the case for most other movements, including ETAs.

my advice to go easy on long unserviced rolex 3xxx date watches is just in case the date change mechanism (including the lever, cam, wheel and rivet) are no longer able to properly store and/or limit the energy required to effect the flip.
        Last edited by taxico; 29-10-12, 09:26 PM.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

hmmm... I was under the impression that if an automatic watch stops, it is better to hand wind it first before putting it on. a/t my watch manual for PP QA, it states" self winding watches are wound by a winding rotor that rotates in response to movements of your wrist. When the watch is fully wound but not worn, it has a power reserve of XXhours. If the watch has stopped, you can manually rewind it with no more than ten turns of the winding crown. We advise you to wind the watch before you put it on. This way, you can avoid lateral pressure on the winding stem which, over time, could damage the crown tube."
          another note in the manual is that before setting the time or correcting a display, please wind your watch by hand(max 10 turns of the crown).

seems like different movements have different requirements/restrictions.

Never found anything in writing about Rolex, mainly what the AD/ service centre advises. My wife DJ 15years old, never follow any of the rules, been everywhere, do everything, only service once, still running well.

Maybe just have to be careful with the more complicated or fragile movement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKing View Post
            hmmm... I was under the impression that if an automatic watch stops, it is better to hand wind it first before putting it on.

...watch manual for PP QA, it states "...If the watch has stopped, you can manually rewind it with no more than ten turns of the winding crown.

...We advise you to wind the watch before you put it on. This way, you can avoid lateral pressure on the winding stem which, over time, could damage the crown tube."

...another note in the manual is that before setting the time or correcting a display, please wind your watch by hand (max 10 turns of the crown).
            what PP means is; don't wind it while on your wrist, and;

if you want to adjust any calendar-related complications, do so with some power, not when the watch has wound down.

an automatic watch was NOT designed to be hand wound excessively/with regularity, hence my emphasis in bold above.

some watches have extremely efficient rotors - they seem to start almost as soon as they're moved.

others require a few (not 40) winds of the crown to get it all moving.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X