This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ Buying watches online

As per subject title, if any one purchaed a brand new / pre-owned piece from an overseas online shop, you might want to share your experience on this.

I seen a online shops like Luxur Bazaar and wondering if anybody here bought a timepiece from them or similar online shops?

Cheers

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
    As per subject title, if any one purchaed a brand new / pre-owned piece from an overseas online shop, you might want to share your experience on this.

I seen a online shops like Luxur Bazaar and wondering if anybody here bought a timepiece from them or similar online shops?

Cheers
    Depends on what brand la...cheap cheap 1 I dun mind but expensive I won't hahaha.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

personally, i do not recommend purchasing of watch online. i feel that online reputable ones is ok. this is because one will never know if the watch will arrive safe and sound. even if there is insurance, will it cover the damage?

secondly if the purchase is more than 1k, are you comfortable in parting in that kind of money? i attended a JLC seminar and one of the speakers parted with 5k and never saw the watch.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        personally, i do not recommend purchasing of watch online. i feel that online reputable ones is ok. this is because one will never know if the watch will arrive safe and sound. even if there is insurance, will it cover the damage?

secondly if the purchase is more than 1k, are you comfortable in parting in that kind of money? i attended a JLC seminar and one of the speakers parted with 5k and never saw the watch.
        This is true. I am also not comfortable with paying the $$$ and waiting for days for the watch to come. Better to cash and carry from ADs...

But then again, problem is when there are certain watches you like that local ADs do not carry. Then it boils down to how much you like the watch and whether you're willing to take the risk...
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Got a friend who bought a UN maxi marine as a birthday present from The Watchery (US. online store) and it's delivered as promised with no prob with the watch..their customer service was also very prompt (email i mean...cos she decided to change from leather strap to bracelet last minute)

Bought my Anonimo from another guy from New York (TZ member)..turned out to be ok also...i picked it up from him when i was at NY...

Bought another female Franck Muller Cortez from a guy in Timezone..he's based in spain (with good references, of course)..the watch arrived as promised but the minute hand stuck/stopped at 6pm when i tested it. It's a 2 yr old watch (with all papers and boxes)..i sent it to FM SC and was told the watch was tempered with (i recalled one of the parts was either not original or something along that line)..the service fee was closed to $1K+. I contacted that guy and sent back the watch to him (an honest seller and he refunded me the $$). The only loss was the shipping cost la which was negligible.

so far so good...but i will not buy from ebay...too many fraud cases there...

cheers

james
          Last edited by wolfeyes1974; 13-01-08, 10:41 PM.
          I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
          A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
          Audemars Piguet ROO
          Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
          De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
          Habring2 Pilot Time Date
          Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
          Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
          IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
          Panerai 270
          Patek Philippe 5711/1a
          Rolex 116610LV
          Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Thanks James.. good to hear that at least there is 1 bro here that ventured into buying online from a reputable seller / retailer.

Ever visited luxury bazzar?

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

surf their website some time back when i was comparing prices and searching for a Chopard GTXL PC...didn't find the exact piece i wanted so didn't buy from them...
              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
              Audemars Piguet ROO
              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
              Panerai 270
              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
              Rolex 116610LV
              Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Thanks James.. good to hear that at least there is 1 bro here that ventured into buying online from a reputable seller / retailer.

Ever visited luxury bazzar?
                i tried to order Omega 007 frm them last yr, on their website, but they email back and say OOS.

Comment

Buying Online

Now searching for a SD , saw a couple of pieces with really reasonable pricing in Rolex forum USA. Just wonder any bros ever bought any watches online , even without seeing it physically.

What are the complications , other than its a high risk.. ie GST , tax?

Comment

GST. Anything above 400 have tax duties
                    Shipping concerns and cost, if you ship such a costly watch, i think you want it hand couriered and that costs big money.
                    factor that in and see if total cost is wort or not
                    Return policy. IFyou buy local, at least you can face to face and any problems can come back easily to seller

Only way i buy online overseas if i have a fren who can physically pick up the watch and check for me 1st

My 2 cents liao..
                    SRC is bad dealer !

Comment

what you're saying is, if the watch cost an equivalent of SGD6,000; the 7% GST will apply for S$5.6k minus the first $400? which means, you pay $392 of GST? Can clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                        what you're saying is, if the watch cost an equivalent of SGD6,000; the 7% GST will apply for S$5.6k minus the first $400? which means, you pay $392 of GST? Can clarify?
                        nope.
                        anything that costs above 400 (iirc)
                        so if the watch is declared as 7K, then 7% of 7K = $490 in tax
                        SRC is bad dealer !

Comment

IMHO, i would never recommend anyone buying a watch online the moment the watch cost 1k and above.

Reason

1) what if item gets lost along the way? no doubt there is insurance
                          2) u cannot examine the watch physically.
                          3) pictures can be 'doctored'
                          4) for that 200-300 savings, i rather visit a brick-and-motor shop and have a peace of mind
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I would say,from online "shops" or overseas forum not recommended.

Local forums is ok if you guys meet up and check out the physical watch itself.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Ultimately, as the buyer, you need to be comfortable. After all, it is your hard earned money!

However, on a personal front, I have had absolutely no problems with my overseas transactions (> 10 to-date) so far. Here are some lessons I learnt from my years of trawling watch forums:

1. Buy the seller. There are reputable online sellers. Just make sure you do your homework. Don't save on a few hundred only to fall victim to a scam.

2. Be patient. Make sure you do not rush any transactions. Ensure proper due diligence is made (eg, checking on references, background check on seller) before parting with your money. Sellers who rush you are likely not genuine. Genuine sellers understand and respect the need for time to check things out.

3. Spend time to trawl forums. Over time, you should be able to suss out the real deal from the scammers.

4. Cardinal rule... If it is too good to be true, IT IS!

Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by chongj88; 19-06-08, 05:01 PM. Reason: Formatting
                              Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X