X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 1st Rolex: GMT MasterII PepSi

Hi guys,

Ive been saving up for my 1st rolex.
    I need some help in determining the value of the buy, is it too expensive? ok or cheap?
    It is a 2nd hand GMT II Pepsi, bought in year 2006, with AD receipt.
    Condition 9/10. Size to woman wrist but additional links still available

Guy initial price was $8,800. After much nego down to $7,200

Is it a good buy? I have no idea whats the market price of the GMT2 pepsi is, and how much was it retailed at in 2006/2007?

Appreciate any advise

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by mopikoz View Post
    ...Ive been saving up for my 1st rolex.

I need some help in determining the value of the buy, is it too expensive? ok or cheap?
    It is a 2nd hand GMT II Pepsi, bought in year 2006, with AD receipt.

Condition 9/10. Size to woman wrist but additional links still available

Guy initial price was $8,800. After much nego down to $7,200

Is it a good buy? I have no idea whats the market price of the GMT2 pepsi is, and how much was it retailed at in 2006/2007?
    each link, at retail price in RSC is about $100. if the seller is a dealer, try to make sure you get the full 13 links included (i see just 1 extra link in the box, you should have 3 removable links). all dealers have a stock of these links, and try to choose nice new links with as few marks and wear (inside the hollow area of each individual link) as possible.

it is difficult to estimate a market value for a watch without seeing it in real life and service history. based on your phone camera photos... i think the watch is not quite 9/10.

but the bracelet looks quite tight, which means the watch has not been worn on that bracelet too much or trashed. the marks on the bracelet are perfectly acceptable to me. i can't see if the watch head has been polished because you did not include photos of the sides. let's assume it has had a light polish.

so now if you get a complete, full box set (is that the original AD receipt included?) gmt2 from 2006 for $7,200... is it expensive? in my opinion, probably not - IF it has been serviced recently (last few years) at RSC.

some people put a slightly higher value to the watch if it was purchased locally, but it doesn't bother me (singapore AD watches can be found new at grey dealers overseas). if it was indeed a local AD sold watch and with a receipt, that's a bonuns, i guess?

if it does not have any service history, i think it is overpriced. but this is MY opinion, because i value (not the market value) the watch to be in the mid-$6k region.

if you factor in a full RSC service (which brings everything to brand new spec including all the parts inside, and includes a 2 year international rolex warranty like all brand new watches sold at ADs), then your total outlay will be $7,200 + ~$1,250 = $8,450.

are there other near-new watches or watches with valid warranty from rolex you can find for $8,450?

as you are saving up for your first rolex, i think it may be unlikely you have an affinity for this particular model of that particular era. in this case, you might want to consider saving a little more for something that you don't have to send away for a service anytime soon or is backed by the RSC warranty.

the first watch should always be special. i pray no one buys a problematic watch as their first rolex.

if this is a watch you've had your eye on for a long time, then in terms of price/newness, this Z series gmt2 is as "new" as you're gonna get without breaking the bank, because the following (M) series 16710 are almost sure to be overpriced as they were the last year this watch was made.

in such a case, if you are sure the condition is 9/10 and unpolished, that premium (between mid-6 to low-7) might be worth paying because other GMT2s you find in future may be cheaper but older (likely more wear and tear).
    Last edited by taxico; 03-12-14, 04:58 PM.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

You can check out the "market value" for this 2006 Pepsi with the many pre-owned Rolex dealers in town.
      Also, are you buying direct from the owner?

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
        each link, at retail price in RSC is about $100. if the seller is a dealer, try to make sure you get the full 13 links included (i see just 1 extra link in the box, you should have 3 removable links). all dealers have a stock of these links, and try to choose nice new links with as few marks and wear (inside the hollow area of each individual link) as possible.

it is difficult to estimate a market value for a watch without seeing it in real life and service history. based on your phone camera photos... i think the watch is not quite 9/10.

but the bracelet looks quite tight, which means the watch has not been worn on that bracelet too much or trashed. the marks on the bracelet are perfectly acceptable to me. i can't see if the watch head has been polished because you did not include photos of the sides. let's assume it has had a light polish.

so now if you get a complete, full box set (is that the original AD receipt included?) gmt2 from 2006 for $7,200... is it expensive? in my opinion, probably not - IF it has been serviced recently (last few years) at RSC.

some people put a slightly higher value to the watch if it was purchased locally, but it doesn't bother me (singapore AD watches can be found new at grey dealers overseas). if it was indeed a local AD sold watch and with a receipt, that's a bonuns, i guess?

if it does not have any service history, i think it is overpriced. but this is MY opinion, because i value (not the market value) the watch to be in the mid-$6k region.

if you factor in a full RSC service (which brings everything to brand new spec including all the parts inside, and includes a 2 year international rolex warranty like all brand new watches sold at ADs), then your total outlay will be $7,200 + ~$1,250 = $8,450.

are there other near-new watches or watches with valid warranty from rolex you can find for $8,450?

as you are saving up for your first rolex, i think it may be unlikely you have an affinity for this particular model of that particular era. in this case, you might want to consider saving a little more for something that you don't have to send away for a service anytime soon or is backed by the RSC warranty.

the first watch should always be special. i pray no one buys a problematic watch as their first rolex.

if this is a watch you've had your eye on for a long time, then in terms of price/newness, this Z series gmt2 is as "new" as you're gonna get without breaking the bank, because the following (M) series 16710 are almost sure to be overpriced as they were the last year this watch was made.

in such a case, if you are sure the condition is 9/10 and unpolished, that premium (between mid-6 to low-7) might be worth paying because other GMT2s you find in future may be cheaper but older (likely more wear and tear).
        Wow! Thanks so much for your thorough review and advise.
        Apparently this watch is direct from owner; needs money and trying to sell it off.
        Ill need to check with him if theres any service done b4.

Ive asked him which series it is, he doesnt know: How can he/I check?
        If not mistaken there isnt the creditcard tpye authentication card.(thus might be an older series?)
        He showed me the official AD paper receipt, bought 2006. But not necessarily a 2006 model?

Comment

Originally posted by Choo Yao Chuen View Post
          You can check out the "market value" for this 2006 Pepsi with the many pre-owned Rolex dealers in town.
          Also, are you buying direct from the owner?
          Yes direct from owner

Comment

Ill need to check with him if theres any service done b4.

Ive asked him which series it is, he doesnt know: How can he/I check?
            If not mistaken there isnt the creditcard tpye authentication card.(thus might be an older series?)
            He showed me the official AD paper receipt, bought 2006. But not necessarily a 2006 model?
            these steel models are generally popular and move well within a year or two. unless the AD is located in a very ulu place (which... i think is generally not a place a businessman would run an rolex AD although there are old ADs that exist in this manner in such places) a watch like the 16710 should reflect the series of the year it was sold... even in 2006.

do note that in the past, NOT dating papers is not uncommon. you might want to also check the clasp code which may help you confirm things. likely to be OP or MA codes.

the serial number is printed in the warranty paper itself. might start with Z or D.

the surest way to check is to remove the bracelet. but someone may scratch the lugs in the process.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

the serial number is printed in the warranty paper itself. might start with Z or D.

the surest way to check is to remove the bracelet. but someone may scratch the lugs in the process.
              Here's the warranty paper: Anything u can make out of? the numbers 430 D104008

Comment

Here's the warranty paper: Anything u can make out of? the numbers 430 D104008

Comment

Here's the warranty paper: Anything u can make out of? the numbers 430 D10xxxx
                  430 is the rolex code for singapore (and brunei).

the serial starts with D. if the hand writing and ink colour (bottom right) all match up, then i see no reason to doubt its sale date (january 2006).

unless it is a rare piece, if it's a direct sale from most recent owner, there should generally be no "watch dealer" premium.

good luck!

p/s: some people prefer to hide their serial number. i don't think it's a big deal for older out-of-production watches that are complete, like in your case. out of courtesy i have not quoted you entirely.

Comment

after reading this thread, I kowtow you
                    taxico you really a rolex guru.

Comment

yup agree, agree with taxico that there should be no dealer premium.
                      and yes, he is a rolex guru

Comment

Thanks alot guys esp to taxico guru!

Checked with the owner, the watch has not ever been serviced or polished.
                        Not sure if im able to talk down the price to bout high 6k-ish~

Then again, D serial = 2006 Series? is that correct?

Comment

D is estimated 2005. Z is estimated to 2006.

Comment

D series GMT Master 2 (pepsi)is a reasonably good buy with box and papers(complete set) for $7200 imho.

Comment

D is estimated 2005. Z is estimated to 2006.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X