purchasing rolex serial number with alphanumeric series woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing rolex serial number with alphanumeric series woes

since 2010, rolex has switch to alphanumeric naming for their serial number. unlike in the past where the prefix is an alphabet which will indicate the production period of the case.

this naming convention provides a new consideration for potential rolex buyers purchasing the alphanumeric series especially when the preown watch piece does not come with any original receipt and/or warranty card which should have been duly date stamped by AD when it was first sold.

without the original receipt and/or warranty card, a potential buyer can only trust what the seller tells them about the estimated date of purchase. in one instance, seller trust the buyer on the purchase date when the watch was first transacted. another instance seller may indicate the watch as a more recent purchase so as to sell the watch at a higher price. in both instances, the potential buyer ends up paying a higher price for the preown watch.

with this in mind,
    • will seller now ask for original receipt of watch (with name/address/price being blank out) if there is no warranty card?
    • how many owners will be willing to pass over the warranty card with their name on it or blank out name when selling their watch?
    • how many buyers don't mind having a warranty card with blank out name?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Condition of the watch is most important

I will take condition of the watch as the most important factor to determine the price to purchase or for sale than when the watch was purchased.

In general, as a seller, I will give everything if I have including receipts and won't cover the name in the receipt or warranty card.

This gives my buyers assurance of the watch they are purchasing from me.

As a buyer, if I am not comfortable, I will have the watch check for before buying.

So in conclusion, my view is buy the seller and condition of the watch are more important to me.
    Collections:

Panerai Luminor Singapore Edition PAM00432
    Rolex 1680 Red Sub MKI
    Rolex 1680 Red Sub MKII Tropical
    Rolex 5513 Maxi MK1 Sub
    Rolex 1665 Great White MKII Rail Dial
    Rolex Daytona 16523 MKI Porcelain Dial
    Rolex Submariner 16610LV MK1 Y Series
    Rolex Daytona 6265 Big Red
    Patek Philippe Nautilus 5980/1A
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Snoopy White

Comment

i agree with you that the condition is one of the most important condition.

also note that since jul/aug 2015, rolex now gives 5 years warranty on their watches. as a buyer, i will willing to pay slightly more for a watch with 5 years warranty compared with one that is with 3 years warranty considering that if condition of watch of both pieces is similar are available in the market. as a buyer, if you happen to buy a rolex watch only to be told that it comes with 5 years warranty only to realize later that it is only 3 years warranty

in another situation, a preown piece of later production will command a higher resale value than one that is produced earlier (ceteris paribus). so as a buyer, you will want to know you are REALLY paying for a more current piece.

the issue of having a watch to be checked for authenticity is correct. however RSC will not tell you when the watch is produced.

Originally posted by kelvin_koh View Post
      I will take condition of the watch as the most important factor to determine the price to purchase or for sale than when the watch was purchased.

In general, as a seller, I will give everything if I have including receipts and won't cover the name in the receipt or warranty card.

This gives my buyers assurance of the watch they are purchasing from me.

As a buyer, if I am not comfortable, I will have the watch check for before buying.

So in conclusion, my view is buy the seller and condition of the watch are more important to me.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X