Image Portrayed by different Rolex models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Portrayed by different Rolex models

I have a very interesting question which I'm wondering if any of the lao jiao here can answer:

To a newbie wanting to buy a Rolex sports model, what are the impressions that a very experienced/lao jiao Rolex will get of the owner/wearer when they see it?

That is, when you see someone wearing a Submariner versus someone wearing a Daytona, what are your initial impressions. For example, my impression is that the Submariner wearer is sporty and appreciates fine watches, whilst the Daytona owner has a stronger affinity to an aesthetically beautiful model.

I know it sounds superficial, but I think initial impressions count, right?

Very personal perception, I must say. If I see anyone on the street wearing a ROLEX sports model, I will perceive that he/she is a watch lover/collector/hobbyist; someone who appreciates watches, like us. I do not categorize them according to models, rather, more on the series, such as sports vs klassik, diver's vs pilot.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Very personal perception, I must say. If I see anyone on the street wearing a ROLEX sports model, I will perceive that he/she is a watch lover/collector/hobbyist; someone who appreciates watches, like us. I do not categorize them according to models, rather, more on the series, such as sports vs klassik, diver's vs pilot.
      Thanks and appreciate your views.

Comment

Saw a mid 40's to 50's Chinese towkay wearing a TT YG oyster bracklets when parked near to him in traffic light. Can't make out what model. A young pretty girl was next to him, intimate.

Image = SUCCESS and he had made it in life!

Comment

Originally posted by DM101 View Post
          Saw a mid 40's to 50's Chinese towkay wearing a TT YG oyster bracklets when parked near to him in traffic light. Can't make out what model. A young pretty girl was next to him, intimate.

Image = SUCCESS and he had made it in life!
          HAHAHAHA!!! Your comment was so hilarious (but true) and I nearly fell off my chair!

Jokes aside, it's interesting though. Rolex has always been very coveted by all levels across society. I would dare say that most people admire the brand regardless of who's wearing it, or how much bling the Rollie has.

Comment

in the past

status symbol. rolex has been associated with successful businessman. a towkay will drive mercedes benz.

current:

status symbol. but to a different perspective compared to the past. it is like people were aiming to get a rolex initially. then now people aiming to get patek. now it seems that people aiming for those independent brands.

having rolex is like having cash. u know that anytime u walk into a pawn shop, you can still get cash. when i bought my first rolex, it was more of it does not depreciate value so much. then i slowly learn more about it.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

speaking of this. had a conversation wif some friends lately. it seems there r some watch lovers (note, i didn't say enthusiast/hobbyist/collector) who buy branded watches; from cartier to omega to zenith to GP to breguet to AP to patek, but never ROLEX n panerai. these watch lovers r really rich pple btw.

any analysis?
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                speaking of this. had a conversation wif some friends lately. it seems there r some watch lovers (note, i didn't say enthusiast/hobbyist/collector) who buy branded watches; from cartier to omega to zenith to GP to breguet to AP to patek, but never ROLEX n panerai. these watch lovers r really rich pple btw.

any analysis?
                My feeling is that they are trying to distinguish themselves from the rest, maybe not because of snob appeal. I think they are not just into flashing off money, but also have a different view on aesthetics, history, appreciation of the movements and the amount of effort gone into its total design.

I must say that the first few watches in my hobby were Rolexes such as the bubble back. But as time progressed, I started to appreciate other brands such as JLC, Breguet, Blancpain, Zenith etc.

I guess it all depends on which stage each person has reached in their career, on the money ladder etc.

I've found myself coming full circle back to Rollies, hence my sudden participation in SG-ROC (which I feel is a fantastic platform with like-.minded selfless enthusiasts and NO FLAMING ). At the moment, my obsession is with Tudor Tigers

Comment

I would like to put it the other way, I just ok with Rolex the early years. But we all agreed it is a status symbol.

Almost bough a pair of datejust during new wed, but decided to park the money for renovation.

After ten over years, while learning more about the 6694, I found this great site and stick to it and ended up with a sub, now aiming for more. My interest on Rolex watches grow. As you can see I put the money elsewhere earlier.

I wear 6694 weekday and sub on weekend. Now, imaging I walk pass you with my sub or 6694, what is your impression about me? I business look weekday w/o tie and shorts and polo T weekend.

Sorry jono, I first tell you about me and my watches and now have to let you do some imagination works. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyfirst View Post
                    I would like to put it the other way, I just ok with Rolex the early years. But we all agreed it is a status symbol.

Almost bough a pair of datejust during new wed, but decided to park the money for renovation.

After ten over years, while learning more about the 6694, I found this great site and stick to it and ended up with a sub, now aiming for more. My interest on Rolex watches grow. As you can see I put the money elsewhere earlier.

I wear 6694 weekday and sub on weekend. Now, imaging I walk pass you with my sub or 6694, what is your impression about me? I business look weekday w/o tie and shorts and polo T weekend.

Sorry jono, I first tell you about me and my watches and now have to let you do some imagination works. Cheers.
                    No worries and I appreciate your honesty.

In restrospect, the title and contents of this thread actually can appear to be very shallow and superficial, almost to the point of being fake and plastic.

But this is what I've been faced with over the years. I like watches not because of the snob appeal, but because I appreciate aesthetics and craftsmanship, and don't mind buying second hand or pride myself for finding a bargain. On the flipside though, it's just like some people will never buy second hand watches and like the attention and fuss in a high end AD shop.

There is no right or wrong, and ADs also need to make money to thrive. In fact, the appeal of a watch boutique actually drives up the prices and appeal of our watches. So Cortina, THG et al. are great drivers of the hobby.

I'll also give you some background into my hobby. In the first 2 years of my career, I had no commitments and could indulge in my hobby. But after marriage and kids, the priority shifted and I pared down my collection to my 6694. Now that the kids are older and the financial future has been secured, I've spare cash to indulge myself with my wife's full blessings. Even my girls are excited whenever I have a new acquisition and know how to handle them properly (and work the watch winder!).

As for my impressions of you, you are totally spot on! If I know a bit more about the watch owner, the impression you've given me is that you appreciate watches.

As for me, I unfortunately work out of a home-based office and have no chance to wear it for work in Singapore ...

Comment

Originally posted by jonolau View Post
                      I have a very interesting question which I'm wondering if any of the lao jiao here can answer:

To a newbie wanting to buy a Rolex sports model, what are the impressions that a very experienced/lao jiao Rolex will get of the owner/wearer when they see it?

That is, when you see someone wearing a Submariner versus someone wearing a Daytona, what are your initial impressions. For example, my impression is that the Submariner wearer is sporty and appreciates fine watches, whilst the Daytona owner has a stronger affinity to an aesthetically beautiful model.

I know it sounds superficial, but I think initial impressions count, right?
                      This is very personal thing lah.

As Darth-Khips said...I have the old man's demeanor...I love YG and I am like pretty much on the younger side of the scale. I strongly believe I will buy my YG soon...even though the whole world says NO!

What others wear doesn't affect me or actually bother me...what I wear is most impt

It's not more of...wow you wear a Rolex too? Well...

There are 2 types of Rolex owners...the WIS and the people who see it as status symbol.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        This is very personal thing lah.

As Darth-Khips said...I have the old man's demeanor...I love YG and I am like pretty much on the younger side of the scale. I strongly believe I will buy my YG soon...even though the whole world says NO!

What others wear doesn't affect me or actually bother me...what I wear is most impt

It's not more of...wow you wear a Rolex too? Well...

There are 2 types of Rolex owners...the WIS and the people who see it as status symbol.
                        YG rocks.... Back to the topic. Frankly speaking, I think all of us has some kind of vanity in our hearts. We would at some point want to be noticed and appreciated by other pp. Thats why we are wearing a Rolex. I'm not saying pp are buying Rolex because they want to be noticed but this would constitute a small portion of their decision to get one.

What do you guys think?
                        PAM 233K :woohoo:
                        IWC BP 5004 :D
                        Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
                        Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

ROLEX= Status Symbol (get better discounts/ services) = quality watch = walking bank ( NO $$ can pawn )... I love my Rolex!!
                          相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Watches View Post
                            ROLEX= Status Symbol (get better discounts/ services) = quality watch = walking bank ( NO $$ can pawn )... I love my Rolex!!
                            Rolex pawn for $$ don't "lose much". AP, PATEK, IWC (except MARKE 16 maybe), be prepared to lose up to 40%

Comment

Ya you don't expect to walk in a pawn shop with a Panerai. The uncle will just give you a blank look hehe....
                              PAM 233K :woohoo:
                              IWC BP 5004 :D
                              Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
                              Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X